DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   XDCAM disks Re-name (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/88933-xdcam-disks-re-name.html)

Steve Cahill March 14th, 2007 03:28 PM

XDCAM disks Re-name

Presently on the Mac and want to rename the XDCam discs from "Untitled" to something more meaningful. When I do a get info on the XDCAM "Untitled" disc mounted on the desktop it says I only have read and NOT write permissions. So I cannot rename. The disc is not write protected any ideas?

Greg Boston March 14th, 2007 04:02 PM

Something's not right. I can click on the disc name to select it, then click again to get the cursor for renaming the disc.

You should do this anyway when you first mount it, then eject and re-mount it. This will insure that all your imported disc files get their own unique folder name from XDCAM Transfer.

Are you logged onto the Mac as administrator? Maybe that has something to do with it. Sometimes you can change the permissions in the Get Info dialog from Read Only, to Read and Write if you have permission from your user account.

-gb-

Steve Cahill March 15th, 2007 01:55 PM

Intereesting to note... This disc that was unnameable had been formated again in the camera after some clips were deleted, It was reformated from dvcam to HDCAM all in camera. After being unable to rename it via the MAC, I took and reformated it using the deck, after this I could rename it by the Mac.. Any other discs that had been shot in camera once with out a camera reformat I can rename. The combination of double reformat and or clip delete, made it un-nameable, via the Mac. Not sure why this could be. I will have to try to duplicate the situation again.

Greg Boston March 16th, 2007 02:50 PM

One thing to remember, Steve, is that the camera must be in the same mode as the format of the disc or you won't be able to write to it, including disc naming.

Perhaps that's what's going on?

-gb-

Phil Bloom March 18th, 2007 05:16 PM

you will be able to rename from within the transfer software no matter what the camera's mode is in

Greg Boston March 18th, 2007 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 643812)
you will be able to rename from within the transfer software no matter what the camera's mode is in

Interesting, Phil. I had never tried doing it from within XDCAM Transfer. Always went through the standard OS way of renaming a disc volume label.

-gb-

Steve Cahill March 19th, 2007 04:38 AM

The Transfer software did not want to re-name as well, on this particular situation, from the deck. Did not try from the camera with this disc.

Vincent Rozenberg March 19th, 2007 12:48 PM

Here the same, can not rename it at all.

Steve Cahill March 19th, 2007 05:07 PM

What did you format the disc, camera or deck? How many times did you format it, and with what device? Mac or PC, platform for renameing

Herb Forsberg March 29th, 2010 04:12 PM

can't rename disc

So...I have a PDW-700. It was set for 1080/29.97. I shot six disks. I created a sequence of same specs in FCP 7 on a snow leopard system equipped with XDCAM Transfer 2.11.0. When I "import/Sony XDCAM" from the project window, XDCAM Transfer launches, the proxies are loaded but I'm unable to change the Source name. For every disc I load, the source name is the same. I've unsuccessfully tried changing the name of the disc/volume via Finder as well. Anyone ever figure this out?
Thanks much,
Herb Forsberg

Luc De Wandel March 31st, 2010 03:50 PM

Writing back to disk is impossible under Snow Leopard, at least for disks in my PDW-U1. Could that be the reason that renaming is impossible as well?

Daniel Wright April 1st, 2010 04:25 PM

If your camera/deck is connected using FAM you should be able to rename the disc either from Finder or with XDCAM Transfer provided the disc is writable. If you can record to the disc with the camera or deck that it is mounted from then it must be writable.

The FAM driver that shipped with XDCAM Transfer 2.10.0 (and 2.11.0 but was not installed) worked well enough on Snow Leopard for clips to be imported using XDCAM Transfer but apparently it did not work properly with Finder. Assuming you are using Snow Leopard, installing the updated version of XDCAM Transfer reported in the following thread should solve your problems by the sound of it.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...-software.html

Luc De Wandel April 2nd, 2010 02:21 AM

Downloaded the new updates and now renaming is perfectly possible under Snow Leopard. Even on the desktop icon of the disk, without opening Finder.