DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   HDy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/89247-hdy.html)

Peter Newsom March 18th, 2007 04:27 PM

HDy?

I notice that the Video Out connecter on the F350 can be set to "HDy" in the menu. Can some explain what this is?

Thanks, Peter

Tip McPartland March 18th, 2007 10:09 PM

HDy is....

HDy is the luminance channel of an analog component signal, presumable 1440 x 1080. Basically it's black and white hi-def.

Tip

Greg Boston March 18th, 2007 10:58 PM

Tip is right. Sony makes a b/w HD monitor that mounts to the back of the camera handle (after you buy the mount) for EFP. You would normally feed that monitor with an HD luminance only signal.

I've also used the composite signal fed to a standard def Sony field monitor and it still looks pretty sweet.

-gb-

Peter Newsom March 19th, 2007 06:49 AM

Thanks, I too have been using my old Sony 8020 and the footage looks great on it. One of the advantages of recording in HD even though I feed in SD is that I can configure the aspect ratio to 4/3 on playback to check my footage at home. Also if I do need a monitor on location for a sit down, I can still use my old one. Quite hand really. Really do need to get a new monitor.

One thing I am not clear about, is the HDSDI. There appears to be no composite HD out, is there such a thing? Currently it is not possible to do remote feeds in HD from the sports arenas that I shoot in, but in the future when it arrives, I sure hope it is HDSDI that they want.

Peter

Greg Boston March 19th, 2007 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Newsom (Post 644151)
One thing I am not clear about, is the HDSDI. There appears to be no composite HD out, is there such a thing? Currently it is not possible to do remote feeds in HD from the sports arenas that I shoot in, but in the future when it arrives, I sure hope it is HDSDI that they want.

No composite HD out. There is no such animal. There is component HD out, but that comes with the F330 in place of HDSDI. I suspect that in the future, the feed in HD will be done via HDSDI.

Fiber optic is another 'pipe' for transporting high bandwidth HD and some arenas are being wired with fiber in place of cable. But don't worry, there are already converters to take HDSDI and turn it into a fiber optic signal.

-gb-

Peter Newsom March 19th, 2007 07:09 AM

Did I not read somewhere that you could get an ethernet card for the camera, or would that be a different thing. Seems to me that just sending the clips down at 18, 25, or 35mbs in FAM would be the most efficient way to go.

Greg Boston March 19th, 2007 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Newsom (Post 644156)
Did I not read somewhere that you could get an ethernet card for the camera, or would that be a different thing. Seems to me that just sending the clips down at 18, 25, or 35mbs in FAM would be the most efficient way to go.

The ethernet option was for the SD models which were aimed squarely at the broadcast market. This was intended to facilitate uploading material from the field to FTP servers at the bureau. Nothing like carrying around a camera with its own IP address. (grin)

The ethernet route wasn't getting much use so they didn't implement it in the HD cameras. Besides, for local file transfer, FW400 is faster anyway.

-gb-

Uli Mors March 20th, 2007 01:59 AM

You can get Ethernet on the decks (F70) to setup a network based workflow.

ULI