Feature film in Brazil - some images at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Feature film in Brazil - some images

Hi,
Our camera was rented to a feature film in Brazil.
It's a country movie, about a 70 years old man.
Roberto Laguna was the DP, and Paulo nascimento is the director.
The camera is a F330 with 17x Fujinon.

http://www.lumiere.com.br/cinemadigi...1-valsa-04.jpg
http://www.lumiere.com.br/cinemadigi...6-valsa-21.jpg
http://www.lumiere.com.br/cinemadigi...7-valsa-08.jpg

You can see more images at www.lumiere.com.br/cinemadigital

Gérson Becker
Gerson Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:19 PM   #2
New Boot

great shots....these XDCAM cameras make some great pictures. are the images you posted graded or straight out of the camera?

thanks for sharing
Paul Nevison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:03 PM   #3
Major Player

also: What Lens did you use?

Thanks

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Paul, thanks.
The images are straight from the camera. The grading will begin next week, and after that the transfer to 35mm, using Scratch at some point.

Hi Uli,
The lens is a Fujinon XS17x5.5BRM-M38 and a coral 1 filter was used aolmost all the time.

Gérson
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Major Player

There seems to be quite a bit of chromatic abberation in the second picture. Is it the lens? How are you going to deal with that?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala View Post
There seems to be quite a bit of chromatic abberation in the second picture. Is it the lens? How are you going to deal with that?
I've seen the same problem with my set-up and have seen it on other camera/lens combinations. This pattern always manifests itself as a blue outline on the right hand side of an object when there is high contrast involved. It is most problematic at the long end of the lens with a wide open aperture.

Some have speculated that it's a type of CCD overload. It's hard to put it down as strictly CA due to the lens because I've seen it on different camera/lens combinations... even network golf broadcasts. It seems to be more like a set of conditions that can bring out this problem across many camera/lens platforms.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Jiri,
This a problem that appears since we bought the camera. The DP was aware of this limitation. And tried to avoid the set up were the problem appears.
As Greg sad, it's not a lens problem.
Joseph posted a link were Sony talks about a replace to the filter optical unit.
Seems they find the problem:
http://195.2.37.154/indexes/pi/EB/Feb_2007/00043097.pdf

Gérson
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:28 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerson Becker View Post
Hi Jiri,
This a problem that appears since we bought the camera. The DP was aware of this limitation. And tried to avoid the set up were the problem appears.
As Greg sad, it's not a lens problem.
Joseph posted a link were Sony talks about a replace to the filter optical unit.
Seems they find the problem:
http://195.2.37.154/indexes/pi/EB/Feb_2007/00043097.pdf

Gérson
Wow Gerson, this is significant. Thanks so much for that link! As I said, I've had this situation before, but have learned what conditions cause it and how to avoid them.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:01 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Wow, those are some nice screen shots.... i can't wait to see a little bit of footage from your film. There is a definate lack of sample footage in the XDCam forum..... It would be great to see some good footage to showcase what the camera can do. what i've seen so far makes the XDCam comparable to High end Canon footage (XHA1, XLH1).... Thanks
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM   #10
New Boot

Optical Filter Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Wow Gerson, this is significant. Thanks so much for that link! As I said, I've had this situation before, but have learned what conditions cause it and how to avoid them.

-gb-
For those who haven't checked, the replacement filter is $372.67. I'd love to know if anyone has made the purchase and successfully done the adjustment procedure after replacing the filter, as it looks a bit involved.

And, of course, I'd love to see the results.

Any possibility that newer XDCAM units are fitted with this new filter and not the old one? We shoot with an F330 now but are considering purchasing an F350...

Thanks,

Erik
Erik Dinnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:53 PM   #11
Inner Circle

This sounds like a design flaw. If I read this correctly the CCD block is overly sensitive to UV. As most lenses only offer chromatic correction for light in the visible spectrum a CCD block over sensitive to UV would exhibit excessive CA caused by UV light which will come into focus at a shirter focal length than visible light, hence the fringing. This is a common problem with some of the telescopes I use for astro photography. The fix there is to use a UV filter or special minus violet filter that cuts off the Violet and UV end of the spectrum.

As Greg has said this would explain why this crops up with many lens/camera combinations. I wonder if it is why some HDCAM's seem to exhibit a lot of CA.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM   #12
Regular Crew

According to my Sony dealer, who talked to his Sony Rep today... new production cameras have the new filter in place.

PDW-F330L SERIAL # 10,001–10,372

PDW-F350L SERIAL #10,001–10,515

Peter
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM   #13
Major Player

hmm.. My serial goes into 11.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:30 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback, this is very interesting. Does it mean that if the camera HAS the proper filter, the CA (or whatever it is) will be eliminated, or at least less pronounced? And if so, is this a common issue with other cameras using a built-in filter wheel?

I used to have a Sony DSR500 with a Fujinon lens and CA never came up. Perhaps I never noticed it and being in the SD domain, it wasn't that much of an issue. With my more recent JVC HD100, which doesn't have a filter wheel, the CA was a major problem, particularily with the stock lens. I have also seen it with the Sony HVR-V1U, which of course doesn't have a filter wheel either.

Hence the question: how much is this an optical issue vs. chip/filter wheel matter?
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #15
Inner Circle

My guess is that newer cameras with the filter will exhibit significantly less CA. This may be a problem particular to the F330/F350. The CA shows up in SD from time to time on my F350. It is probably more pronounced due to the smaller chip size. I will be getting mine done.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts