DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Areas surrounding bright objects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/89561-areas-surrounding-bright-objects.html)

Josip Ruzic March 22nd, 2007 01:51 AM

Areas surrounding bright objects

Anyone seen this?
http://195.2.37.154/indexes/pi/EB/Feb_2007/00043097.pdf

Joseph

Thierry Humeau March 22nd, 2007 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josip Ruzic (Post 645958)

Interesting... I have indeed seen this quite a lot in high contrast situations. I thought it was due to lens chroma aberation or shading issues but the explanations given in the service bulletin make sense. I am glad to see that there is now a fix but I think this should be serviced free of charge by Sony since it appears to be a design flow.

Thierry.

Thierry Humeau March 22nd, 2007 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau (Post 645998)
Interesting... I have indeed seen this quite a lot in high contrast situations. I thought it was due to lens chroma aberation or shading issues but the explanations given in the service bulletin make sense. I am glad to see that there is now a fix but I think this should be serviced free of charge by Sony since it appears to be a design flow.

Thierry.

Checked the price with Sony, It's $473 in the U.S...

Thierry.

Josip Ruzic March 22nd, 2007 06:16 AM

Hi Thierry,
I have complain about this issue to my local dealer, and to Sony europe. Yes they serviced my camera free of charge in France, althought they did not tell me what is acctualy been changed, but I susspect to that piece of glass between lens and CCD. This was in december 2006. The situation now is something improved (about 30-40%), but some of chromatic abberation still remains. my lens is SD Fujnon 13x4.6 Berm-28. I recommmend to everyone have problem with blue, magenta or green fringing.
Joseph

Hornady Setiawan March 26th, 2007 11:55 PM

I had the exact same thing i was wondering since my first test on the camera.

first i thought maybe it's the Fuji lens.

but then, when i turn off matrix, detail & gamma, the fringing reduces a lot!

so i thought it is the CCD prism or something inside the camera...

Now i will definitely contact Sony.

thanks for the info guys!

Greg Boston March 27th, 2007 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josip Ruzic (Post 645958)

Yes, it was brought to our attention a couple days ago in this post.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....76&postcount=7

-gb-

Herve Chava March 27th, 2007 03:59 PM

it looks like it's not all the xdcam camcorders concerned by this .
there is serial numbers in the pdf .
does other camcorders out of the serials have had some problems like that ?

Greg Penetrante March 28th, 2007 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 649224)
Yes, it was brought to our attention a couple days ago in this post.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....76&postcount=7

-gb-

Greg,

Is there a mirror of the site? The site seems to be down now.

best
-Greg
;-)

Greg Boston March 28th, 2007 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Penetrante (Post 649943)
Is there a mirror of the site? The site seems to be down now.

Was probably maintenance... I just clicked the link in that other thread and the page opened (although it may still be in my browser cache).

-gb-

Alister Chapman March 28th, 2007 11:05 AM

Getting mine done tomorrow. Will report.

This is in essence a form of CA. Light at different wavelengths is bent by different amounts when it passes through a lens. As a result the focal plane shifts with color. Lens manufacturers spends lots of money using mixes of different glass to minimise the effect. However I expect UV light is probably not considered by many lens manufacturers and it is so far up the spectrum that any shift will be quite bad. This UV sensitivity explains a lot.

Greg Boston March 28th, 2007 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 650160)
Getting mine done tomorrow. Will report.

This is in essence a form of CA. Light at different wavelengths is bent by different amounts when it passes through a lens. As a result the focal plane shifts with color. Lens manufacturers spends lots of money using mixes of different glass to minimise the effect. However I expect UV light is probably not considered by many lens manufacturers and it is so far up the spectrum that any shift will be quite bad. This UV sensitivity explains a lot.

I did mine yesterday morning and it took all of 15 minutes. Haven't had time to do much checking as it's been a bit cloudy. I want to test under the conditions I had before with a high key sunlight on a bright object next to a darker background.

I absolutely agree with the statement about CA. It stands for chromatic aberration, after all, so anything that causes the light rays to be bent unequally is CA.

Good luck,

-gb-

Greg Penetrante March 29th, 2007 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 650564)
I did mine yesterday morning and it took all of 15 minutes. Haven't had time to do much checking as it's been a bit cloudy. I want to test under the conditions I had before with a high key sunlight on a bright object next to a darker background.

Greg,

Did you do it yourself or did the dealer perform the swap. If you did it yourself, did Sony reimburse you for the filter?

best,
-greg

Keith Rollinson April 2nd, 2007 05:46 PM

In December I posted here concerning the all-too-prominent CA on my F350/Fujinon HSS18x5.5 combo. The camcorder went down to Sony, where it was deemed 'normal' -- I disagreed, but there was nothing further that Sony could offer at the time. So I've been using it, always trying to avoid the severe changes in luminance that seem to affect it most.

Just finished a shoot w/ a talking head that ended up w/ both green & magenta CA -- terrible. After seeing this thread, I contacted Sony again, and they will replace the optical filter w/ the hope that it will help. I'll let you know the outcome when she returns.

Keith

Hornady Setiawan April 6th, 2007 02:46 AM

i'm out of luck. my s/n is not within range. Still agonized by these green/magenta fringing... Should I open the filter myself to see if it is indeed the new -B revision part?

Greg Boston April 6th, 2007 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hornady Setiawan (Post 654968)
i'm out of luck. my s/n is not within range. Still agonized by these green/magenta fringing... Should I open the filter myself to see if it is indeed the new -B revision part?

Green/magenta fringing is not indicative of the problem that the newer filter design corrects. Your problem could be a white shading issue and is corrected by pointing the camera at an evenly illuminated white target. After white balancing/black balancing, look at the waveform on a vector scope. It should be a small circle in the middle. If it is oblong or oval, adjust VMOD in the lens file menu to make it as circular as possible.

I believe one of the fixes in version 1.58 firmware is an increased adjustment range for this parameter.

-gb-