35mbit/s XDCAM HD FINALLY ACCEPTED BY AVID XPRESS PRO 5.7! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

35mbit/s XDCAM HD FINALLY ACCEPTED BY AVID XPRESS PRO 5.7!

Hello folks,

I just found that info concerning the new version of Xpress Pro 5.7 on the Avid website:

Enhanced workflows for XDCAM and P2. Added support for bit rates of 18 and 35 Mb/s offers more flexibility to balance picture quality and recording length when capturing XDCAM HD. Need to archive? Version 5.7 now offers the option to write back to XDCAM and P2 media via FireWire. (P2 write back on PC systems and PowerPC-based Macs only. Intel-based Mac systems to be supported in a future release.)

and further down I found it again:
Sony XDCAM support for DV25, XDCAM HD support for 18 and 35 MB/s

So 35mbit/s AND writeback onto XDCAM is guaranteed on Avid Xpress Pro´s new 5.7 version and I´m personally more than happy about that. I was seriously thinking about changing over to FCP .....

Info taken from http://www.avid.com/products/xpresspro/featurelist.html
Emanuel Altenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:37 PM   #2
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel Altenburger View Post
Hello folks,

I just found that info concerning the new version of Xpress Pro 5.7 on the Avid website:

Enhanced workflows for XDCAM and P2. Added support for bit rates of 18 and 35 Mb/s offers more flexibility to balance picture quality and recording length when capturing XDCAM HD. Need to archive? Version 5.7 now offers the option to write back to XDCAM and P2 media via FireWire. (P2 write back on PC systems and PowerPC-based Macs only. Intel-based Mac systems to be supported in a future release.)

and further down I found it again:
Sony XDCAM support for DV25, XDCAM HD support for 18 and 35 MB/s

So 35mbit/s AND writeback onto XDCAM is guaranteed on Avid Xpress Pro´s new 5.7 version and I´m personally more than happy about that. I was seriously thinking about changing over to FCP .....

Info taken from http://www.avid.com/products/xpresspro/featurelist.html
And you forgot to mentioned full support for proxy clips. That is is huge in speeding up editing workflows. That pretty much places AVID ahead of the pack for XDCAM HD editing.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Thierry,
I have found no mention of full proxy support for proxies in Avid Xpress Pro 5.7. Have you used the new version and can confirm this. It would be great if proxies are supported in this new release.

Last edited by Bob Willis; March 23rd, 2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Thierry,

I thought that proxy editing only was for Media Composer? It's nowhere mentioned that Xpress Pro can do this. Please let us know, if you know more about this topic?
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Transcode/consolidate

I couldn´t find this information about proxy editing either.
But I rely on Thierry as he´s always top informed about Avid issues. On the Avid forum somebody told me though that proxy editing would only be supported on Media Composer. But hopefully Xpress does it as well. Otherwise there´s still the possibility to transcode the HD material to DVCAM in Avid (you can see this workflow on the Avid tutorials´ page), edit the project in DVCAM, and then - when you´re finished go back to HD again. This might not be the fastest way, but it would still be an alternative.
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #6
Major Player

Transcoding material is not an alternative to proxy editing. Proxy files allow you to edit in the field on a laptop with a small hard drive or send those files back to the post house to start a rough cut. The proxy edit workflow is a great idea but is only supported by Avid in Media Composer.
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #7
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willis View Post
Transcoding material is not an alternative to proxy editing. Proxy files allow you to edit in the field on a laptop with a small hard drive or send those files back to the post house to start a rough cut. The proxy edit workflow is a great idea but is only supported by Avid in Media Composer.
Full proxy support is included in the upcoming XPress Pro 5.7 release.

Thierry.
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #8
Major Player

5.7 has been released. No support for proxy found.
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #9
Regular Crew

It´s not an alternative, but you can at least work with "HD material" on your laptop, using transcoded DV. Of course it´s not an alternative. You´re absolutely right.

Again, I rely on Thierry, as he´s our Avid expert - and I´m happy to hear and can´t wait to download the new version:-)
Unfortunately the European store doesn´t yet sell the software....:-(

Bob, I just read your previous post. Have you tried 5.7 out?
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #10
Major Player

Oh, okay.

Again, I would love to hear that someone is bringing in proxy files to edit in 5.7. I just can't get it to work on my system.
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #11
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx View Post
Thierry,

I thought that proxy editing only was for Media Composer? It's nowhere mentioned that Xpress Pro can do this. Please let us know, if you know more about this topic?
Guys,

I am running the "Gold Version" of XPress Pro 5.7 (i.e. customer release) and it does have full proxy support. Overall, XDCAM SD/HD works well with a few limitations:

- Write back is quite slow. Depending on your system, the content of your sequence and the number of FX to render, write back is on average 3 to 10 times slower than realtime. This is being optimized...

- Also 30p XDCAM HD clips will import and play in a 59.94i project, the frame rate is not officially supported. There are other issues when using 30p like timewarp, color correction and exports not working properly.

Thierry.
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
- Also 30p XDCAM HD clips will import and play in a 59.94i project, the frame rate is not officially supported.
I noticed on the link given above, 24p is not mentioned. Can I guess because of it's omission, it's not supported?

I'd be so close to switching if it did.
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #13
Major Player

Maybe that is my problem. 24P
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #14
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willis View Post
Maybe that is my problem. 24P
Bob,

24P is fully supported when edited in a 23.98 project along with over and downcranked footage.

Thierry.
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #15
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
Guys,

I am running the "Gold Version" of XPress Pro 5.7 (i.e. customer release) and it does have full proxy support. Overall, XDCAM SD/HD works well with a few limitations:

- Write back is quite slow. Depending on your system, the content of your sequence and the number of FX to render, write back is on average 3 to 10 times slower than realtime. This is being optimized...

- Also 30p XDCAM HD clips will import and play in a 59.94i project, the frame rate is not officially supported. There are other issues when using 30p like timewarp, color correction and exports not working properly.

Thierry.

I forgot an other limitation, you can only write back two tracks of audio to XDCAM devices. Regardless of the number of audio tracks in use in your AVID sequence or clips to be exported in a bin, they will all be mixed down to 2CH stereo or mono, depending of the "output settings" in the audio tool.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts