XDCAM HD to Film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 26th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM HD to Film

Is the XDCAM HD good enough to be transfered to film to be shown on large screens? Does it atleast hold up as well as the F900s?
Jeremiah McLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah McLamb View Post
Is the XDCAM HD good enough to be transfered to film to be shown on large screens?
In my opinion, yes.

Quote:
Does it atleast hold up as well as the F900s?
It's not going to be quite F900 level, but I doubt your audience will notice if you do everything else right.
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Film is typically wider than the 1440x1080 HD XDCAM footage.

So, is it just stretched to fit?

Is the footage first upconverted?
Rob Stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i will probably shoot framing for 2.35:1 and crop in post. I know that cuts some resolution...will that loss in resolution hurt me on the big screen? or should i just stick with the 16:9 ..or 1.85:1 (which is the typical theater ..right?)

"Is the footage first upconverted?"

...what do you mean? upconverted from the 1440x1080 to 1920x1080..or something else?
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, resample the resolution up to 1920x1080 or even wider...

I shoot in 1440x1080, edit in 1440x1080 and then downconvert
to SD MPEG-2 16:9. So, it is stretched and looks fine. Wrong direction
in your case...

I don't know of any feature films where the Sony XDCAM was used.

I think BORAT, for example, was using Panasonic HD Cameras that
shoot in 1920x1080 DVC PRO HD...?

Keep in mind, I have NO EXPERIENCE in video to film and should not be commenting too much beyond this post.
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Jeremiah
We finished the shooting of a feature in january, and the editing is done.
We gona see the transfer to film in about two weeks. The DP, that is already doing grading, told me that the images are great.
The movie was framed as 16x9.
As soon as the transfer is done I will post my two cents...
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
i will probably shoot framing for 2.35:1 and crop in post. I know that cuts some resolution...will that loss in resolution hurt me on the big screen?
Not really. It's just a crop. It's simply less picture to look at.

Quote:
or should i just stick with the 16:9 ..or 1.85:1 (which is the typical theater ..right?)
2.35 is one of those things movies usually only do if the subject matter screams for it. Big pretty exteriors, etc. If your movie is "people based" then 1.85 is likely going to be better. This is a creative decision, not so much a technical one. 16x9 is, in film parlance, 1.77:1. So the most popular theatrical format, 1.85, is just a slight top and bottom crop that can be done at the very last stage of production (writing out to film). You'd need to get 1.85 framelines in your viewfinder as well as your field monitors.

Rob, all XDCAM HD is 1440x1080 recorded (as is HDCAM), but stretched out to correct aspect upon playback. The fact it is 1440 H is really immaterial for this discussion. DVCPRO HD at 1080 is only 1280 wide. Borat was shot with Varicams that record only a 960x720 image!

Jeremiah, considering you're comparing cameras/formats here with vastly different budget implications, I'm a bit puzzled at your questions. Typically one shoots the best they can afford. If you have the budget for F900s, then there you go. If you have to take a major step down, then you do XDCAM HD or Varicam. Even less, then you duke it out with all the HDV cams.
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks gerson! that will be great!

nate, thanks for your expertise! I just really love the look of 2.35:1...but..now that you mention it. 1.85:1 will probably better suit this production. As far as budget goes...well...XDCAM is the best we can do right now...we can't afford F900 rentals...especially with doing a film out....but I just wanted to see how the XDCAM HD stacked up against the F900 on the big screen. I don't wan't to go to the HDV level as I feel that is not quite good enough..but was hoping XDCAM would pull through for me. And it sounds like it will! Also, XDCAM will be easier for my editing situation as I really wouldn't be able to handle the HDCAM stuff..without spending more money.

If you have any more advice..please..PLEASE send it my way. Thanks again!
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
If you have any more advice..please..PLEASE send it my way. Thanks again!
Your picture will not be judged on picture quality. It will be judged on writing and execution. Never forget that.

Shoot the best format you can afford, and do your homework to make sure post/format issues will not take your creative energy away from the things that really matter like story and writing. It's really that simple. Everything else is tech; find people who will take care of that for you.
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
Your picture will not be judged on picture quality. It will be judged on writing and execution. Never forget that.
I agree 1000%! We have a great story and I can't wait to start shooting it so I can show you guys! But for now...just waiting for a little more money to come in... :o)
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Nate, just read a produciton article on Borat.

http://www.abelcine.com/articles/ind...=119&Itemid=32

You couldn't be more right. I'm sure the color correcting
using a DaVinci was a nice plus. But they pulled it off nicely
going no higher than 720p.
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #12
Tourist

We are in post on an XDCAM feature. We shot using the 35/mbs setting and were very happy with the results.

We have cut the film on a Premiere Pro 2.0 system with the Axio LE HD card.

Though we are making sure our post work flow supports a final transfer to film I don't know that we will have the budget to do one.

We should be posting a trailer in a few weeks if you want to check out some of the footage.

Immanuel
http://www.miyukithemovie.com
Immanuel Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts