DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Considering a demo F350 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/90293-considering-demo-f350.html)

Peter Newsom March 30th, 2007 06:45 AM

Considering a demo F350

I am considering buying the dealer owned demo F-350 I have been using for the last couple of weeks. It has about 90hrs on the spindle etc., and is running the early firmware. Price has yet to be determined, but I should know later today. It has a Fuji HSs18x5.5 lens on it.

The camera seems in very good condition, and the only funny thing that I have noticed is some fairly heavy vibration from the disk assembly at times. I hope to be able to get extended warranty on the camera.

Are there any physical differences between earlier and current models, other than the block filter(which the dealer will replace)?

Is there much difference between the HSs18x5.5, and an XS17x5.5 lens? I haven't decided which lens I will buy if I go the new route.

What sort of discount would be appropriate?

I have made my decision to buy a 350, it's just a matter of getting a new one or the demo. Any thoughts are welcomed.

Alister Chapman March 30th, 2007 10:27 AM

A small amount of vibration from the drive from time to time is normal, 90 hrs on the spindle is nothing. Knowing most dealers you wont get a huge discount, maybe 10-20%.

Greg Boston March 30th, 2007 01:00 PM

Also keep in mind Peter that the warranty (2 years), transfers to the new owner. I know this from personal experience! I am the second owner of my camera and had to send it in last July for a shutter issue.

I am surprised that the firmware hasn't been updated in that camera yet.

As for lenses, the HSs lenses are the hand picked glass and are the higher spec lenses (with prices to show it). The YS lenses are lower rated but my local Fujinon explained that you might get lucky and wind up with a YS lens that's as sharp as an HS lens but there is no guarantee.

regards,

-gb-

Peter Newsom March 30th, 2007 03:50 PM

Thanks guys,
I just spoke to my dealer, and the pricing on the demo camera and lens is very attractive. I will get full extended warranty, and the up-graded filter installed along with a complete inspection for any problems(vibration etc.).

I've made my deal.

I've been shooting NHL hockey news with this camera for the last couple of weeks, and it has been excellent.(now I'll have to pay for the milk... ;)

Been getting a lot of interest from the other cameramen.

I do need to get a clear protective filter for the lens(HSs18x5.5), any suggestions on one that won't cause eclipsing?

I will also be looking into a portable widescreen monitor. I've tried the Sony 9050, and it was pretty good, are there better alternatives?

Haven't had a new camera in about thirteen years(my old one is a BVP90, talk about a difference), this feels pretty good!

Thanks to the forum and the great contributions from everyone here, I have learned so much about the camera. It is very much appreciated!

Peter

Greg Boston March 30th, 2007 04:33 PM

I'm using Hoya low profile UV protection. You need the slim profile to prevent vignetting at full wide shots.

Make sure you get the firmware updated and download the latest versions of the supporting software to get all the features and functionality.

-gb-

Morton Molyneux March 30th, 2007 07:12 PM

Hi Peter,
I'm looking for a monitor myself, you might want to check out the Marshall Electroica products. A nice feature is you can power them from the "V" mount batteries for location work. I'm waiting until after NAB as there may be some new products coming out.

cheers

Morton

http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/Vid...stMonitors.htm

Peter Newsom March 31st, 2007 02:48 PM

Greg, I just picked up one of those slim Hoya filters at the local camera shop. It's perfect, not a hint of eclipse.

I will upgrade the firmware. Is there a link to find out about the new features?

Thanks, Peter