XDCAM HD camera in London? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 10th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Telecam Films

XDCAM HD camera in London?

Hi,

On my way back from a shoot in Africa, I am traveling through London for a quick shoot on april 18th but I am afraid I may have problems getting through customs because I do not have a carnet for this camera (I am using different customs forms for Africa..). In case the Brits decide to hold my gear at customs, I am looking for a XDCAM HD camera rental source in central London. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I doubt you'll get stopped or prevented from bringing your camera into the UK, provided you have some form of documentation for it, even if it's not a carnet. A receipt that shows it to be your own camera often works. However be warned that if you do get caught you are more likely to face a demand for import duty or face confiscation, there is no facility for leaving equipment until you depart again. Also if you are stopped at customs with professional kit and they suspect you may be working and do not have a work permit you may be refused entry to the UK.

Procam have XDCAMS www.procamtv.com
or Visual Impact www.visuals.co.uk
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Transport Equipment

How do YOU generally carry camera equipment with you when travelling by plane? I will be shooting at several locations throughout Europe in summer and am thinking what the best way of transporting my camera might be. Have only transported my DSR 570 once. And that was easy .... It was on a plane to Greece and I took it onboard along with my (quite big) portabrace bag. Thanks for any suggestions.
Emanuel Altenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have a regulation size standard carry-on hard shell case. I take off the VF and lens and the whole lot, camera body, lens, VF, mic and a battery and couple of disks all go in the case. As it is within the size limits for carry-on and is just a regular bag it doesn't attract any attention, fits in most overhead bins or under the seat. I have made a foam insert for the case by part filling a plastic bin bag with expanding foam, put the camera and all the bits in the case with the bag, close the case, allow the foam to expand and viola a nice foam insert. I can even squeeeze a small laptop in the lid! Travelling within Europe is a breeze, but outside Europe requires the correct Visas, permits and paperwork. Often a simple duplicate list with all the equipments serial numbers stamped by your home customs people will suffice, other times a bond or carnet are needed. I used to put everything in flight cases, but stuff used to go missing. These days I use peli cases or regular hard shell tourist luggage. I have a large suitcase that will take my tripod (head/legs split) a couple of lighting stands, 2x arri 300w lamps and battery charger. I carry a battery with, (but not connected to) the camera along with disks so that if any bags go missing in transit, as seems to happen more and more I have enough kit to shoot for 4 hours. Normally any missing bags show up on the next flight. In the UK if your carry-on bag won't fit in the size check box they won't let it through security also they are strictly enforcing the 1 bag per person limit so no camera plus laptop any more.
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #5
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I doubt you'll get stopped or prevented from bringing your camera into the UK, provided you have some form of documentation for it, even if it's not a carnet. A receipt that shows it to be your own camera often works. However be warned that if you do get caught you are more likely to face a demand for import duty or face confiscation, there is no facility for leaving equipment until you depart again. Also if you are stopped at customs with professional kit and they suspect you may be working and do not have a work permit you may be refused entry to the UK.

Procam have XDCAMS www.procamtv.com
or Visual Impact www.visuals.co.uk
Alison,

I have a U.S. Custom Certificate of Origin showing that the equipment belongs to me and was temporary exported to be use abroad. Hopefully, they can live with this....

Thanks for your tips.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Trustee

procam in south london have xdcam hd although I think they are all out at the moment shooting "banged up abroad" for channel 5

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts