Sony NAB news - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 17th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Ray, I have been asking around the same question.
I believe the 350/330's laser write speed is fast
enough to record a little bit higher quality than the
current best quality setting: HQ 35 mbps.

I hope there will be an upgrade for the current cameras...
Rob Stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wade View Post
Nigel Cooper lists a 'New full-size shoulder-mounted large 276 minute cassette HDV camcorder' among Sony's new offerings but doesn't mention its name. Does anyone know what it's called ?
There is no name yet, because there isn't build one. Below is taken from the Sony site.

There isn’t too much I can say about the camcorder just yet, which hasn’t even got a name. What’s on the stand is a showcase that provides an indication of what the product may look like. But, unlike some of the concept cars that are shown at car shows, this is far more than a concept, and we expect to be able to ship a shoulder-mounted camcorder in early 2008. So in less than 12 months time, we should have real product in the hands of users.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
I believe the 350/330's laser write speed is fast
enough to record a little bit higher quality than the
current best quality setting: HQ 35 mbps.
No, it isn't as simple as that. For one thing the 35Mbps is VBR, so a lot of that faster than realtime write speed is taken advantage of by the VBR (if it was only realtime speed the VBR wouldn't be possible), and there are also other overheads like creating the proxy files etc.

With the 2/3" camera it is the 4:2:2 colour sampling that takes the daterate up, not the compression harshness.

Don't obsess about the numbers. Results are what counts.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #34
Wrangler

Got my hands on an XDCAM HD EX

Had a chance to handle the little guy earlier today for about 10 minutes. Very well balanced. The side grip is able to rotate to a comfortable position that relieves wrist strain. Flip out screen is nice and viewable in bright light. The viewfinder was fairly nice (color, not B/W). The iris ring, zoom, and focus all work like a professional lens should. IIRC, it's 81.5mm at full tele.

Haven't had much time to post as I was fortunate enough to be working in the Sony booth this year and teaching a class Monday-Wednesday. Sitting in the airport lounge now and reflecting back on what a good NAB this was. I can say that lots of folks saw the beauty of XDCAM HD after we explained it and I fully expect much higher market penetration of the format this year.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Greg, well said, well done!
Rob Stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Had a chance to handle the little guy earlier today for about 10 minutes. -gb-
So this one on display was functional? I was hoping it was just a clay or wooden model as there are still a few things that need changing:

1: Drop the stereo mic and replace with two more XLR inputs for 4 channels of live audio. Who is going to buy this camera and want such a mic, maybe 0.5% of buyers.

2: Open the lens to f/1.2

3: Add physical attachments for standard Fujinon manual lens controls (focus, zoom & iris)

4: Change the lens hood to include the lens cover (aka like Z1).

5: Change to V-Mount battery on the rear & move the audio selectors etc to under the SxS (pronounced 'sex'? ;-), ie "Sony Sex Slot") slots or below the Assign buttons

6: Include some simple way to sync multiple cameras clocks (wireless would be great). Not sure if the clock accuracy is good enough but if it is that would keep multiple cameras pretty well synced for at least a few hours.

Thats about it for me, oh. maybe a rear shoe mount for an wireless reciever to mount on (eg Sony UWP series) if the front is in use and why keep limiting the Gain and White balance to a 3 position switch, I also feel I need one or two more positions, especially the gain switch (off, 3, 6, 9, 12).

The problem is if they don't do it for this one it will probably be a few years before we see a replacement...

Last edited by Guy Barwood; April 20th, 2007 at 08:09 AM. Reason: typo
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #37
Wrangler

So this one on display was functional? I was hoping it was just a clay or wooden model as there are still a few things that need changing:

1: Drop the stereo mic and replace with two more XLR inputs for 4 channels of live audio. Who is going to buy this camera and want such a mic, maybe 0.5% of buyers.

That could be. I would want to see an onboard mic like the PDX10 with XLR connection.

A cost consideration. Faster lenses are always more expensive. This lens is no exception.

3: Add physical attachments for standard Fujinon manual lens controls (focus, zoom & iris)

This lens has manual control for zoom, focus, and iris. All three have barrel markings and physical stops. They are indeed direct coupled rings. Just like the big lenses, there is a manual/servo switch for the zoom rocker that engages gear teeth. There is an auto/manual iris button and there is manual/auto focus.

4: Change the lens hood to include the lens cover (aka like Z1).

It does, the toggle is behind the hood on the left side

5: Change to V-Mount battery on the rear & move the audio selectors etc to under the SxS (pronounced 'sex'? ;-), ie "Sony Sex Slot") slots or below the Assign buttons

6: Include some simple way to sync multiple cameras clocks (wireless would be great). Not sure if the clock accuracy is good enough but if it is that would keep multiple cameras pretty well synced for at least a few hours.

Can't remember if I saw a t/c jack or not. I was scrambling to take in as much as my brain would allow in a brief time.

...why keep limiting the Gain and White balance to a 3 position switch, I also feel I need one or two more positions, especially the gain switch (off, 3, 6, 9, 12).

Three position gain switches are the norm on larger full size professional cameras. This is keeping a tradition which 'feels' right to those who have been using the larger cameras for a long time

I didn't answer a couple of those points cause I have no information or opinion one way or the other.

-gb-
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
This lens has manual control for zoom, focus, and iris. All three have barrel markings and physical stops. They are indeed direct coupled rings. Just like the big lenses, there is a manual/servo switch for the zoom rocker that engages gear teeth. There is an auto/manual iris button and there is manual/auto focus
Greg, I think Guy was referring to connections for rear lens controllers. Is focus and zoom controlled by LANC or is there a standard Fujinon remote port for zoom?

Also, someone else in another thread asked this and it's a good question. Does the lens have Steadyshot? I don't see any markings on the camera saying it does.

As for f/1.2 and V-mount batteries, I don't think those are practical on a camera this size. The optics would have to be much bigger and heavier for f/1.2. Most ENG lenses (which are a lot bigger than this lens) only go down to f/1.4 and a V-mount battery would be almost as big as the camera!
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #39
Major Player

[QUOTE=Greg Boston;663861]So this one on display was functional?

A cost consideration. Faster lenses are always more expensive. This lens is no exception.

I realise that but it adds a lot of light, even if there are issues with the lens that open. My bog standard lens on both my relatively cheap SD cameras go open much more than 1.9.

This lens has manual control for zoom, focus, and iris. All three have barrel markings and physical stops. They are indeed direct coupled rings. Just like the big lenses, there is a manual/servo switch for the zoom rocker that engages gear teeth. There is an auto/manual iris button and there is manual/auto focus.

I know the lens is a manual lens but does this mean you can attach remote controllers such as the JVC HZ-ZS13U Rear Servo Zoom Control for Canon and Fujinon Lenses (does it have the proper connector?) There certainly doesn't appear to be any cogs for a remote focus controller (eg JVC HZ-FM13U or 15U Rear Manual Focus Control).

...why keep limiting the Gain and White balance to a 3 position switch, I also feel I need one or two more positions, especially the gain switch (off, 3, 6, 9, 12).

Three position gain switches are the norm on larger full size professional cameras. This is keeping a tradition which 'feels' right to those who have been using the larger cameras for a long time

3 is a poor limit though and I am sure pro's can adopt to an extra position or two, many may appreciate it. It's certainly no reason not to improve on a design (the camera is hardely ENG format, liberties have been taken...).
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #40
Major Player

"Greg, I think Guy was referring to connections for rear lens controllers. Is focus and zoom controlled by LANC or is there a standard Fujinon remote port for zoom?"

Indeed

"Also, someone else in another thread asked this and it's a good question. Does the lens have Steadyshot? I don't see any markings on the camera saying it does."

Great question. Integrated lens can certainly have OIS.

"As for f/1.2 and V-mount batteries, I don't think those are practical on a camera this size. The optics would have to be much bigger and heavier for f/1.2. Most ENG lenses (which are a lot bigger than this lens) only go down to f/1.4 and a V-mount battery would be almost as big as the camera!"

on the appature I dissagree. My PD150 sized JVC DV301 goes out to at least f/1.4 and my cheap lens on my JVC DV500 goes out to f/1.2.

On the VMount, while I agree size is an issue, I can see this camera with 1/2" sensors & high powered MPEG2 encoders will suck power. Maybe even if they get IDX to make an adaptor like JVC did with the JVC HD100 series.
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #41
Wrangler

Guy, I don't think it will be as power hungry as you believe. Flash media recording and newer technology imagers that require less power contribute to this.

As for your remote lens control question, I have a call into a Sony person who is still out there and will definitely know the answer. Will post a response when I get one.

-gb-
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Barwood View Post
on the appature I dissagree. My PD150 sized JVC DV301 goes out to at least f/1.4 and my cheap lens on my JVC DV500 goes out to f/1.2.
Guy, I'm not trying to be picky, but I think you are mistaken. The JVC DV301 is f/1.6-2.8 and the sensor is 1/3". The stock Fujinon lens on the JVC DV500 is f/1.9. Here's a picture of it:

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/pr...ral/DV500L.JPG

F/1.2 is a very large aperture, even for a small sensor format. I don't think I've seen that aperture on any video lens anywhere. Even f/1.4 is almost one full stop faster than f/1.9. It's just not possible to make the lens 1 stop faster and not make it bigger and heavier. Blame it on those pesky laws of physics.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #43
Major Player

Ahh, you're right sorry. I have been using these cameras for years and swear I would see appatures more open that than. I don't have the stock Fujinon lens on my DV500 but the Canon I have only goes to 1.9 as well.

I'd still more open but I feel better about 1.9 now ;-)
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts