Audio Skip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Skip

For a year now, we've been using XDCam Transfer to bump our finished 30 minute shows back to disc for archiving with no problems whatsoever. All of a sudden we are experiencing occasional dropped audio frames on export to disc. The problem is not on the FCP timeline nor is it on Quicktime export only on XDCam Transfer to Disc. It is hard to hear but is definitely there about every 60-90 seconds. Happens on export/playback of 2 separate decks and happens whether exporting to a deck or a camera. Any ideas?
Dan Brazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Dan, is the problem prevalent regardless of the length of clip exported, is this happening only on the longer exports?

Is it alleviated by using the "Recompress All Frames" option? Is it alleviated by choosing "Current Settings" from the Using Settings export format popup (as opposed to accepting the default and/or choosing an alternative?)
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:28 AM   #3
Wrangler

You know what, I had this problem too on a 60 minute layback to disc.

Since I'm keeping a full length QT of the program as well I didn't freak, but it definitely is disconcerting.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It only just started happening after we have been doing the same thing for over a year. They are all 30 minute shows and our procedure has not changed. After further investigation, I found that it happens every 42 seconds. If it was every 32 seconds I would suspect some sort of DF/NDF issue but 42? I'll keep troubleshooting but this is bizarre to say the least. We save our stuff both on disc and as a Quicktime so it's not a huge deal (it doesn't do it on the Quicktime). I'll figure it out and post the results but if anyone else has run into this and found the solution, by all means post away...
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brazda View Post
It only just started happening after we have been doing the same thing for over a year. They are all 30 minute shows and our procedure has not changed. After further investigation, I found that it happens every 42 seconds. If it was every 32 seconds I would suspect some sort of DF/NDF issue but 42? I'll keep troubleshooting but this is bizarre to say the least. We save our stuff both on disc and as a Quicktime so it's not a huge deal (it doesn't do it on the Quicktime). I'll figure it out and post the results but if anyone else has run into this and found the solution, by all means post away...
Any chance that your source drive has filled up to the point of having slower throughput like RAID systems do? This is out there, I know, but something that shows up after a year of use points to some aspect of the chain that has reached its breaking point, so to speak. Just food for thought.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Good thought Greg. This has happened both on our XServe and on a Firewire 800 drive. Both are less than 50% full. I'm going to try a crash record to our F70 deck from our Kona 3 card straight from the timeline tomorrow. If that works, it seems to me I can narrow it down to software settings (XDCam Transfer or FCP). To be continued...
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well, wish I could say I found the definitive solution but I didn't. My workaround works just fine (crash record finished XDCam HD show via HD-SDI, Kona 3 to F70) so we delivered the shows on time. I'd really like to know what this audio hiccup is all about when using XDCam Transfer via firewire on longer shows. Anyone know when XDCam Transfer 2 is available?
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Audio Skip- NEW INFO

Don't know why I didn't notice it before but it seems it only does it on 35mbps stuff- not 25mbps. Anyone else seen this?
Dan Brazda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts