PDW-F70 over a network? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old May 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Trustee

PDW-F70 over a network?

If I have three edit bays connected by GigE, can I mount the F-70 (FAM mode) on one of them, and access it from the other two? Logically, this should work, but I can't seem to make it.

Also, has anyone tried the GigE network card inside the F70? Can I then put the F70 in a machine room (or some such) and access it via network from there? Does the sony software to transfer to FCP still work?

-MW
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You need you get PDBK-101 Network Board from Sony and then you connect to your network.
This board provides network connectivity which enables the transfer of MXF files. These universal media files can be used to transfer both video/audio signals as well as important metadata. This metadata can hold pertinent information including camera settings and scene/take information.
You can also connect to a website and display unit info.
Proxy viewr software will work with this settings and your edting environment.
cost:::::::::::: 1,800 US
William Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #3
Major Player

Mike,

Are you using a Mac?

I haven't tried it, but I would imagine you need to fully install the XDCAM Transfer software on all three Mac's as part of the bundle is the software needed to support the XDCAM disc's filesystem

If you go the network board route, AFAIK Sony's XDCAM Transfer on the Mac software does not currently support FAM via a network. In that case, you will need to buy Telestream/Flip4Mac's XDCAM Component http://www.flip4mac.com/pro_xdcam.htm

Cheers
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Andy. I thought of you when I posted the question. :-)

I just found the Filp4Mac software this morning. I'm investigating it now.

-MW
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Be careful with the Flip4Mac for XDCam. I tried it a while ago and it doesn't seem to work with 24P material. If 24P isn't an issue for you then you should be OK. If anyone has had luck with XDCam HD shot at 24P and transferred via GIG-E with Flip4Mac XDCam 2.0 let me know how you made it work.
Dan Brazda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts