ProRes 422 and XDCam HD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 7th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brazda View Post
Thanks for the additional swat at the beast Greg. I brought it up again because I keep seeing it mentioned on other "reputable" sites that one should use an XDCam HD timeline but render in ProRes for the scenario I described. This site has a higher percentage rate of correct advice in my experience so I'm going with that.
Dan, I want to correct myself because I have been thinking in terms of one codec for the entire timeiine a la FCP5. But, with FCP6, you can apparently have your source material stay in the XDCAM HD codec, while using ProRes to handle graphics and transitions on the same timeline. That's a workflow being put forth by others to get the best of both worlds. As for what you would eventually master out to, that's your choice.

There has been two schools of thought on this for some time now. Either stay in your native mpeg2 codec end to end, or, take it immediately to an intraframe codec as Bennis suggests. However, with faster and faster systems, editing in an interframe codec isn't the nasty beast it used to be.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #17
Regular Crew

ProRes is Apple's take on Avid's DNxHD.

Just like Avid, the Apple software suite will perform better with less hiccups using ProRes than if using native XDCAM Mpeg.

In Avid i notice render bugs n less performance if using native XDCAM mpeg, compared to using Avid's own DNxHD.

Haven't compared in FCP Studio 2, but my guess the logic will be the same.
The apps will better-support its own codec than outsider's codec.

So the advantage will be performance wise and less-crash/bug wise.

:)
Hornady Setiawan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts