Is it confirmed DiscoveryHD accepts XDCAM? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 28th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is it confirmed DiscoveryHD accepts XDCAM?

I have heard that XDCAMHD does not have the same 15% content restriction as HDV for DiscoveryHD,,,can someone confirm this? I am producing a pilot I'd like to shop around and I can save a grip working in XDCAM over HDCAM for my workflow.

Has anyone had experience shooting 100% XDCAMHD for any other HD network?

Thanks in advance....
Brian Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Take a look at this PDF document.

Discovery HD Specifications

Greetings!
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Ivan!

Now I'm new to XDCAM so no one please get upset by this question: XDCAMHD is NOT considered HDV at 35mbs, right? (since they use similar GOP MPEG2 encoding, its a little confusing)
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Major Player

XDCAM HD is not the HDV format in 18, 25 or 35 mbps mode. It is called MPEG-HD.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx View Post
XDCAM HD is not the HDV format in 18, 25 or 35 mbps mode. It is called MPEG-HD.

Thanks for the clarification!
Old June 30th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #6
Inner Circle

XDCAM HD at 35Mb uses a variable bit rate codec as opposed to HDV's constant bit rate codec. This allows XDCAM to adjust how the data is allocated to each frame, thus frame that need extra bandwidth get it. This results in a much more efficient use of the data and thus far fewer artifacts and better performance overall.
Old June 30th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #7
Major Player

and XDCAM HD at 25mbps is a constant bit rate that is very much the same thing as HDV.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willis View Post
and XDCAM HD at 25mbps is a constant bit rate that is very much the same thing as HDV.
Nope, still not the same as HDV because of the higher quality front end on a camera. It is able to put a lot better image into the MPEG encoder even at 25mb CBR. It may be spec'd the same, but the video from the F350/330 would still look better upon close inspection. Larger chips are a big part of the reason allowing for wider dynamic range and lower noise.

Also, from the audio side, the XDCAM HD produces 4 channel uncompressed audio in all modes of shooting, whereas HDV is using MPEG compression on the audio. That's not to say that HDV audio doesn't sound very good when handled correctly.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 10:49 AM   #9
Major Player

and "the video specs" for XDCAM HD at 25mbps is a constant bit rate that is very much the same thing as HDV.
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:59 AM   #10
Trustee

The same, only different.

So no, they're not the same. Read the specs, Bob.

Incidentally, there is not a "very much" the same. .There is merely the same and not. This... is not.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 01:03 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

They are not at all the same. The common bit rate is meaningless in this regard.

We cleared up this misconception back in April: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=90898

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:05 PM   #12
Major Player

I have read the specs and I use both HDV and XDCAM HD. I am only refering to the recording specs, not the difference in camera lenses or chip size. I see no information in the link you provided to the contrary, Chris.

There is no question that the 35mbps of XDCAM is a different animal, but at 25mbps and a constant bit rate, it shows the same issues as HDV. Don't get me wrong, I find the HDV footage from a Sony Z1 to be quite amazing. It will also cut quite well with the XDCAM footage (from the F350) if it is handled properly.

The 2 cameras have been a great compliment to each other. I do look forward to the new Sony EX when it is released, as it will allow an even better match and can record at 24p and variable frame rates.
Old July 1st, 2007, 05:33 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willis View Post
It will also cut quite well with the XDCAM footage (from the F350) if it is handled properly.
I see this statement a lot I have used the setup a lot also. But I have not edited the footage that I have shot with this setup. So when people say when you set the Z1 up correctly it will cut together well. What is this magic setup that people are talking about? Because most of the time we just leave the Z1 at its default settings and go. I have not heard anything from the post house that the footage is drastically different as a matter of fact they have not said anything to me about the footage at all. But that is a whole other story in itself.
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:13 AM   #14
Major Player

I'm following this discussion with interest.

Can someone clear something up for me?

Is the audio sampling rate is not taken up in the quoted figures of HDV's 25 CBR mbps. compared to XDCam's 35 VBR mbps?

Not knowing the precise figures, I would have thought that 4 uncompressed audio tracks would take up lot of mbits more than two tracks of MPEG audio.

Or is it all video compression that is talked about here, with audio added on, or is audio included in the figures, if so, how much room does the 4 channels PCM take up?

Cheers all,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:28 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx View Post
Take a look at this PDF document.

Discovery HD Specifications
Looks like a key fact here is that XDCAM HD source footage is only accepted in the 35 Mbps recording mode, which makes sense. Also interesting that footage from the Panasonic HVX200 is accepted with the same restrictions as HDV, which shows that the overall quality of a camera is at least as important as the recording format it uses.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts