New Peaking Controls at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Peaking Controls

Anyone have any tips on how/why to use the adjustable horizontal and vertical peaking that is added to the menu with the most recent upgrade?
Matthew Ernest Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Good Question. I to hope someone can help.
Richard Lesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

So was I. Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lesser View Post
Good Question. I to hope someone can help.
Old July 21st, 2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

One more bump ...

... to see if anyone knows about the new peaking controls. I know what they do, I am just curious at to why you'd need horizontal/vertical control?
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:09 PM   #5
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ernest Adams View Post
Anyone have any tips on how/why to use the adjustable horizontal and vertical peaking that is added to the menu with the most recent upgrade?
Matthew,

I just left all the settings to their default values after upgrading the camera firmware and am just pleased the improvements. The biggest change I see is that the peaking adujstment is easier to control than before because it is less sensitive.

Thierry.

Last edited by Thierry Humeau; July 22nd, 2007 at 07:33 AM.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:18 PM   #6
New Boot

Sorry for horrific english.

Peaking operate like aperture correction.
In VF aperture correction has constant ratio between horizontal and vertical aperture correction (AC)
Horizontal AC simply raise amplitude on definite frequency, like tone correction on sound amplifier.
Vertical AC raise amplitude in line on the basis of correlation (ratio) between values of amplitude line by line.
Very similar to unsharp mask.

Main aim for use separate Horizontal and Vertical AC - take maximum thin outline (contour) or precision focus in VF.
Grigory Volovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks

Thanks for the information...I realize what the tool is used for, but what is the purpose of having such specific control other than increasing and decreasing the peaking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigory Volovich View Post
Sorry for horrific english.

Peaking operate like aperture correction.
In VF aperture correction has constant ratio between horizontal and vertical aperture correction (AC)
Horizontal AC simply raise amplitude on definite frequency, like tone correction on sound amplifier.
Vertical AC raise amplitude in line on the basis of correlation (ratio) between values of amplitude line by line.
Very similar to unsharp mask.

Main aim for use separate Horizontal and Vertical AC - take maximum thin outline (contour) or precision focus in VF.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:19 AM   #8
New Boot

Apparently, in such a way, we make more observable very thin details. At least in theory.
At least in theory, also, you need tune up ratio between horizontal and vertical peaking and
after that gently rotate peaking on VF ( according to composition of scene ).Very funny.
In practice...In God We Trust.
Grigory Volovich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts