Help urgently needed! Re Windows Vista at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old July 6th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help urgently needed! Re Windows Vista

Hello all - hope someone can help!

I have just bought a new Toshiba laptop, with decent specs, but it has Windows Vista Home edition as an operating system.

It runs Vegas 7 okay, without using the Media Manager. However I have one massive problem, and it mean massive. It won't recognise the FAM driver and therefore I can't ingest any proxy or high def footage!

It can find the camera (pd350) on other devices in the device menu, but I can't assign my PD350 a driver. I am attaching it by using a firewire lead.

Is anyone out there using Windows Vista with their 350- if so are you using Vegas 7 okay with your xdcam okay? - and more importantly how did you assign your camera with a driver.

I would really, really appreciate some help!

Thanks, sparky

www.sparkymedia.net
Mark McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Just incase you don't get to solve the problem, just format the drive and install windows xp on it, vista is not ready from prime time yet.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Trustee

I agree. Vista is near worthless without the very latest hardware and HUGE amounts of ram, def. not stable/efficient for the masses where DV/HDV editing is concerned.
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #4
Wrangler

Bad news, Mark. I spoke with Sony about this the other day. No plans to release a Vista driver until first part of next year. They are kind of waiting on the NLE vendors to get Vista'd before they write the driver. I have a system here that I'm evaluating that has Vista and I have Vegas 7e running on it. I was able to install the Proxy Browsing Software and the XDCAM Viewer, but the driver wouldn't load. So, like you, I can't attach the F350 and have it recognized as a disc drive.

My workaround is to attach my WinXP laptop via ethernet and hook the camera to the laptop and make the F350 a shared network drive. It's slow going, but it works.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.
Greg, have you thought about dual booting your system with Vista and Windows XP?
That may be a way of getting around the problem.

Just bought a new laptop for editing with Vista three days ago, I'll call them tomorrow to see what the situation is with regards to refunds. The problem is all notebooks are now loaded with Vista, and downgrading to XP is a real hassle.

May look at buying a MAC which has a dual operating system (one that runs windows as well).

Thanks again from a very frustrated sparky.
Mark McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Intel Macs and XDCAM HD are just made for each other. You won't be able to edit using the proxies, but everything else works very well and there are numerous options for export from DVI to HDSDi adapters to HD component cards. Plus FCP is a real bargain compared to Avid media composer and an extremely powefull suite of tools from editing through to grading. As well as my Mac's I also use PC's for some tasks and one of the great things with XDCAM is that the files can easily be transfered from FCP to Avid or Vegas etc, which is not something that can be done easily with HDV.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts