V1U with DR60 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old August 19th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #16
Inner Circle

So far, I also copied all files, folder by folder, from the DR60 to my folder structure of choice (usually, one folder per project). Starting with two minor revisions ago (now I have 7.0e), the option 'Import->Hard Disk Recording Unit' was added. Using it, you can have Vegas scan through all the folders on the DR60 and copy all m2t's for you; if there are several in a single directory, it'll glue them together, so you end up with one clip per subdirectory (it's documented in "What's new in Veags 7.0e"). Those glued clips are unusable - neither on Vegas own time line, nor in Premiere for instance. Their structure is corrupted - for instance, I got a 12 GB clip (wedding ceremony) which Vegas glued from 3 files; when I put it on Vegas timeline it just hangs; when I put it to Premiere's timeline - I have full 1 hour worth in the source monitor, but just 2 mins in the recorder monitor, and Premiere also hangs...It's the same with all files - also those much shorter ones.

Note: the first time I noticed this behaviour after using my DR60 in cache mode for the first time, so it's possible the short files from the cache spoil the output clips; the "progressive' flag also seems to be lost in the concatenation process!

I have already emailed Sony and am waiting for the answer.
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I am having the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Are you importing the files in Vegas, or merely trying to edit the file structure as Vegas creates it? I don't have this problem at all, but then again, I transfer everything before I begin working on it.
I am glad I'm not the only one who has experienced problems when importing files from my DR60. I have tried what I think Spot has described, but still can't get the assembled files to work.

I transfer the whole file structure from the DR60 to my firewire drive (a Western Digital 500GB "My Book") and try importing into Vegas that way. Still get a corrupted, unusable file. I have given up on it, and work with the separate 4GB files.

Spot, are you doing something that we're not? I sure would like to figure this out.

BTW-- I am using the DR60 with a V1U, so hopefully this is still relevant to this thread.
Jerry Wiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Are you importing the files in Vegas, or merely trying to edit the file structure as Vegas creates it? I don't have this problem at all, but then again, I transfer everything before I begin working on it.
Frankly, I don't understand DSE's comment, either. Of course I'm trying to import from DR60 to my local drive using Vegas 'Import->Hard Disk Recording Unit' option (which produces corrupted files if concatenated by Vegas); so - that obvious method being unusable - I end up copying the multidute of files myself to my local drive, one by one, which is tedious but leaves the files intact, thus usable.
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Douglas, could you please update us whether you have actually used the Vegas import functionality with success (i.e. with concatenated clips working properly in the time line)?

I have found this on the Sony DR-60 utility download page:

"Some NLEs, such as Sony Vegas 7 (version 7.0c and later) and GrassValley EDIUS Pro4.5, have an import module that lets you import files directly from the HVR-DR60 to your PC’s hard drive. During the import process, these software will merge all divided .M2T files into a single, seamless .M2T file. "

The utility (BTW, only able to glue the 4GB chunks; not the short files from cache) should not be needed with Vegas, yet I cannot get uncorrupted files if I let Vegas glue them...

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; August 26th, 2007 at 01:39 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I have found a site that Piotr replay "Sony DR-60 utility download page"

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...DR60/soft.html

May be this will solved the problem. Im still thinking wanted to get the DR60? YES or NO to wait for 2nd version. looking at all the post from V1 user. :(
Old September 19th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #21
Inner Circle

The utility is properly connecting the 4GB chunks on DR60, created due to its FAT32 limitation. It won't append a disk cache 14sec file though.

However, the beauty of importing a single, merged file per folder into the Vegas project media bin is still a pie in the sky for me.
Old October 8th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Just to update those interested/affected by the same problem:

- even though the Prime Support fot Dr60 couldn't recreate my problems, they send a loan unit and I used it the exactly the same way as my own; when importing to Vegas the result was the same (i.e. the large file produced by Vegas merging the partial clips was corrupt)

- also, the Vegas SCS support admitted at last that the problem has now the full attention of developers, and will hopefully be solved in the nearest VP8.0 update!

Let's cross the fingers:)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders