V1U with DR60 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old August 15th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I think the HVR-DR60 is a better option than the firestore just because of the cache recording function. AFAIK, the firestone I had didn't have this function. 14 seconds buffer is a great way to ensure you didn't miss anything while trying to save tape. Sure there's a 0.5 sec delay but a little practice on not hitting the REC button on reaction and it works well. Plus it uses the L batteries like the V1. It can also do relay which extends your recording time by 270 mins with relay recording.
Drew Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Long View Post
It can also do relay which extends your recording time by 270 mins with relay recording.
Drew, you got me interested - could you elaborate on the above statement? I guess you're talking about recording to DR60 while changing tapes? How do you do it, step by step - because my own experience leaves me a little uncertain: While recording to tape and DR60, can I change tapes without DR60 recording interruption?

In the manual, the 'Relay' function is only used in the context of switching to DR60 while changing tapes, and NOT continuous recording to BOTH...
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Drew, you got me interested - could you elaborate on the above statement? I guess you're talking about recording to DR60 while changing tapes? How do you do it, step by step - because my own experience leaves me a little uncertain: While recording to tape and DR60, can I change tapes without DR60 recording interruption?

In the manual, the 'Relay' function is only used in the context of switching to DR60 while changing tapes, and NOT continuous recording to BOTH...
Piotr, obviously if you've read the manual, you cannot record continuously if you stop the camera recording while using camlink. . Relay, as you have read continues recording on the DR60 5 minutes before the end of the tape and will continue until you hit stop so you have 270mins more of recording time without having to stop to change tape. Which is why I meant. Alternatively you can rec using iLink without camera control.and extend 207 minutes after the tape runs out.
That will allow you to change tape, juggle and hit on the pretty woman (or man) next to you while it continues recording. :)
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Relay, as you have read continues recording on the DR60 5 minutes before the end of the tape and will continue until you hit stop so you have 270mins more of recording time without having to stop to change tape. Which is why I meant.
Oh, aha :)
But my main question remains unanswered: suppose I'd like to cover a 3 hours event on both 3 tapes AND the DR60. I'm using camlink; the first tape ends - I need to change tapes without DR60 recording interruption - did you try to do that?

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; August 15th, 2007 at 08:41 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Oh, aha :)
But my main question remains unanswered: suppose I'd like to cover a 3 hours event on both 3 tapes AND the DR60. I'm using camlink; the first tape ends - I need to change tapes without DR60 recording interruption - did you try to do that?
I answered it. You record without camlink on the DR60. Then you can do whatever you want to the tape it will still record the iLink signal.
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Drew, I knew about the possibility of recording independently with camlink switched off.

I described my preferred scenario: recording with camlink on (so that I can use the camera start/standby button to control both tape and disk); changing tapes without disk interruption.

The workaround I'm using is switch camlink off when changing tapes, but this is not convenient and causes interruptions, even if only short ones.
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mulligan View Post
Thanks everybody I appreciate your help. Is anyone here using the firestone with this camera?

Tom
Hi Tom,
Have used a Firestore with this cam, it's a great product. It is very heavy by comparison to the DR60, and the V1U can't display the Firestore information in the LCD like it can with the DR60, but it does indeed work fine.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks Drew, I knew about the possibility of recording independently with camlink switched off.

I described my preferred scenario: recording with camlink on (so that I can use the camera start/standby button to control both tape and disk); changing tapes without disk interruption.

The workaround I'm using is switch camlink off when changing tapes, but this is not convenient and causes interruptions, even if only short ones.
I don't understand what interruptions it causes. If you are recording to both and turn off CAMLINK on the DR60, it should continue to record uninterrupted. You can then stop the tape and do whatever you want. Once you are ready, just start recording then turn on CAMLINK again. Once you stop, both units will stop. You just have to work the CAMLINK control to do what you specifically want to do, record to both units.
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #9
Inner Circle

OK Drew - I'll check this again. So far, what I did was keeping camlink mode on, I waited till the camera stopped recording to the ending tape by itself (didn't push the stop button), replaced the tape, pushed the rec button once - the camera started recording to the new tape. When observing the recording lamp on the DR60 (or rec status on the LCD), it didn't interrupt disk recording - yet, it did divide into scenes (separate files/folders).

Doesn't it split recording when you press camlink on/off? Please let me know; perhaps your way is better:)
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Sorry for continuing off topic, but I guess the doubts deserve to be clarified. Well, I checked the method proposed by Drew, i.e. before replacing the tape, pressed the camlink button on the DR60 in order to disconnect the drive from the camera's record button. I replaced the tape and pressed the record button on; recording to tape started OK with that to the DR60 seemingly uninterruped (judging from the red light on the drive, and it's icon on the LCD).

Unfortunately, it in fact WAS interrupted and a new file started on the DR60 - just like with my original method, not involving switching camlink off and on again! So it looks splitting the file on DR60 is inevitable when you start recording to the fresh tape (or more specifically, each time you press the camera's record button) - even if camlink is off, which is strange. Well, at least it doesn't get confused and stop recording to DR60 completely, which it theoretically could (or even should? an intelligent beast it is!) with camlink on...
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #11
Regular Crew

[edit by moderator]
Piotr, we already established you cannot record to both the DR60 and V1 and stop to change tape (camlink on) without stopping recording to both in Synchro mode. In camlink off, the disruption is minimal but it allows you to use the REC button to control what you shoot.
What I don't understand is that you say you want to control what you shoot but want to shoot continuously without interruption. So why can't you just leave camlink off and record separately in the DR60? It's simple and obvious.
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Piotr, we already established you cannot record to both the DR60 and V1 and stop to change tape (camlink on) without stopping recording to both in Synchro mode.
No Drew - you can, actually. When the tape ends it will obviously stop by itself, without the need of you hitting the button. Then you can replace it without even touching the drive, or disconnecting the camlink.

After loading new tape, you have to press the rec button of course - and this is the only instant when DR60 splits the recorded file. All this without ever switching camlink off! And why I prefer to have it on? Well, because it's more convenient to use one start/stop button than two, it's simple and obvious:)

What's not that obvious is that even with camlink off, once you hit the record button to start recording to the new tape, the DR60 will start another file, as well! The firewire stream must be getting broken by pressing the rec button...

PS. Thanks, Spot.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; August 17th, 2007 at 10:44 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
No Drew - you can, actually. When the tape ends it will obviously stop by itself, without the need of you hitting the button. Then you can replace it without even touching the drive, or disconnecting the camlink.

After loading new tape, you have to press the rec button of course - and this is the only instant when DR60 splits the recorded file. All this without ever switching camlink off! And why I prefer to have it on? Well, because it's more convenient to use one start/stop button than two, it's simple and obvious:)
I guess we are not communicating properly. You want the DR60 to do something it can't and I'm just trying you a workaround which you already know and don't like. I personally would not record until the tape ends. That's why I bought a harddisk recorder.
And Tom I do apologize for giving wrong information. The FS4 Pro HD has a retro cache system link the Sony one (but better), it records 10 seconds back and the FS4 HD has 6 seconds. The better part is there is no interruption in recording when you hit REC. Whereas the DR60 drops 0.5 seconds of material. In Retro Disk Mode, the FS4 can be programmed to record continuously in loops that depend on available drive space.
I just played with it and it's definitely much better than the older model I had. Piotr, this hard drive recorder may suit your needs better.
Old August 19th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Vegas 7.0e gluing multiple clips at import from DR60

I was thinking about putting this to the Vegas forum, but since it's V1/DR60 specific I decided not to add a new thread, as this one has the right header already. Is it just me, or is Vegas 7.0e buggy in how it assembles single .m2t's from those, written to a folder by DR60? I mean, when you use the 'Import->Hard Disk Recording Unit' option, and there are several files in a specific DR60 directory (due to the disk cache being on, or filesize exceeding 4GB) - at import process Vegas will make a single clip per directory and put them all into Project Media bin for you... Which is all very nice, except that the clips are unusable! I did a wedding last night, and - after trying to use the clips, glued automatically by Vegas - I gave up because of it hanging and being unable to put the clips on the time line. I copied each m2t file one by one manually from the DR60 and they are all perfectly fine, so it's Vegas spoiling them for sure...

Anybody experience this as well? Or do I have to re-install, or... simple not use this feature? I mean, I'd miss it because it makes the workflow so much easier!
Old August 19th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #15

Are you importing the files in Vegas, or merely trying to edit the file structure as Vegas creates it? I don't have this problem at all, but then again, I transfer everything before I begin working on it.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders