Awesome news for canon users - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old November 9th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #151
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Panado View Post
Can you still record to CF while changing tapes? If so, how?

Thanks for all the info Evan, much appreciated.
I have the same question ... is the XH A1 putting video out of the firewire even when not recording? or only when recording? (e.g. can video still be recorded while changing tapes).... is the video out of the firewire impacted by the tape change?
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #152
Regular Crew

The firewire hdv output continues during the tape stop and tape eject functions. When record is enabled on the new tape, apparently some frames are dropped, but output continues.

Depends on how sensitive your capture/ editing software is to the dropped frames (or maybe timecode is reset). I record to a nNovia backup recorder through tape changes, but I don’t record on the new tape until I reach an appropriate point.
Terry Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #153
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Martin View Post
The firewire hdv output continues during the tape stop and tape eject functions. When record is enabled on the new tape, apparently some frames are dropped, but output continues.

Depends on how sensitive your capture/ editing software is to the dropped frames (or maybe timecode is reset). I record to a nNovia backup recorder through tape changes, but I don’t record on the new tape until I reach an appropriate point.
thanks .. I checked the manual and it does say some audio may be dropped briefly .. but it seem slike both audio and video may be dropped ?

and from your post it sounds like when the record is engaged it when it happens? does it also happen when you hit stop (e.g. when you press record to stop recording) or do you just let the tape run out?

and it also seems from your post that say for a live event, if you re-engage record on the new tape, doing so in a gap between speakers, for example, minimized the impact of the dropout (?)... I guess it's a balancing act between when the dropout occurs and how much is missed by not recording on tape as well (e.g. the extreme would be recoding only on the external device but having no tape at all)

thanks for the info ...!!
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #154
Regular Crew

Dave,

Yes, you can definitely stop, eject and reload another tape without interrupting the firewire HDV output.

Now think in terms of timecode, the timecode is linked to the tape, and presumably continues out the firewire port after the tape is stopped, or the recording device just continues on it’s own. When the new tape is started, the timecode has to change.

I use an nNovia recorder to back up the tape, and it will record through the tape change, but my editor, Avid, is not happy about the time code or dropped frame glitch.

I tested the process by recording the A1 firewire output into an HV30 cam. That is where I discovered the glitch happens with the record function on the new tape.
Bottom line for me is that I cannot import a nNovia backup file that includes a record enable glitch. I can however split the file, and import the two halves, with only the loss of about 1 second of media.

Hope this helps.
Old November 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #155
Regular Crew

Sony HVRMRC1 manual

Not sure if this has been posted before, operating instructions for Sony HVRMRC1 ..
http://www.fullcompass.com/common/fi...20HVRMRC1K.pdf
Brian Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #156
Major Player

Quote:
Dave,

Yes, you can definitely stop, eject and reload another tape without interrupting the firewire HDV output.

Now think in terms of timecode, the timecode is linked to the tape, and presumably continues out the firewire port after the tape is stopped, or the recording device just continues on it’s own. When the new tape is started, the timecode has to change.

I use an nNovia recorder to back up the tape, and it will record through the tape change, but my editor, Avid, is not happy about the time code or dropped frame glitch.

I tested the process by recording the A1 firewire output into an HV30 cam. That is where I discovered the glitch happens with the record function on the new tape.
Bottom line for me is that I cannot import a nNovia backup file that includes a record enable glitch. I can however split the file, and import the two halves, with only the loss of about 1 second of media.

Hope this helps.
So you're saying that when you hit STOP on the record button, that doesn't tell the Sony CF recorder to stop recording? You have to hit record seperately on the CF recorder?

And a bit off topic, based on what you're saying and have done with an HV30, I can link an HV20 to the firewire output and use that to back up the shot that my XH-A1 is missing during tape changes? Pretty cool!
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #157
Major Player

Quote:
Dave,

Hope this helps.
Terry, this is very helpful.
- How do you split the file?
- That does sound like something interesting if I can take DV in on my HV20 (I didn't know I could..will have to check this)
- I suppose 1 second of missed content is better than 30 seconds (or what feels like a painful eternity when editing) due to tape change ... is the 1 second due only to the interruption of the record function (or restart), the timecode change or both? Have you found any way to save any other frames from the 1 second ? (I suppose you are talking HDV with long GOP thus more time beween I frames).

thanks for any additional info, it's really helpful for those of us considering the jump to something like this (I suppose I could record without tape and avoid both the timecode and the record enable dropped frames (??), but I'm not sure I could somach it, seems like too much of a chance for other problems to be introduced and possible not have any recording).

THANK YOU!!
Old November 11th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #158
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Panado View Post
So you're saying that when you hit STOP on the record button, that doesn't tell the Sony CF recorder to stop recording? You have to hit record seperately on the CF recorder?

And a bit off topic, based on what you're saying and have done with an HV30, I can link an HV20 to the firewire output and use that to back up the shot that my XH-A1 is missing during tape changes? Pretty cool!
Randy check the manuals for the camera and recorder (shown in this thread) .. I believe you have to set the syncro on the cam and recorder and the CF recorder will record in sync with your record function on the cam..the CFrecorder manual shows the possibilities, both start and stop when you do, or the opposite (basically) which would help with tape change - when you stop, it starts (incl a pre-buffer), and bridges the gap between multiple tapes.. cool stuff and not unreasonably priced
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:21 AM   #159
Regular Crew

Randy,
The firewire output contains both the video stream and control data to the recorder. As Dave suggested, consult your manuals to set the recorder and camera to do what is best for you. In my case, I elected to configure the recorder to run without regard of the camera stop signal.

Dave,
I “split” the m2t files with a freeware program “HDVtoMpeg2” (ver 1.11.89), consult your local google. The program allows m2t input and m2t output if you tell it to. It has the standard timeline to set in and out points, yes it takes a little trial and error, but it works and it is free. Also, it just copies the data… no transcoding.

Also, be advised that I only work in HDV, not DV. HDVtoMpeg2 will not load a DV file, but most common editors will easily work with DV. I haven’t tested DV recording with the A1, but assume it would behave similar to HDV.

I still like recording to tape, and use the hard disk nNovia as backup, just my preference. If the tape runs out at a critical moment, I just calmly load a new one and wait till an appropriate time to resume tape recording.

Terry
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #160
Major Player

It's in stock now at B&H :) . Too bad no cash to spend on it atm :(.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #161
Major Player

Yup it sure is. Just purchased one and should have it Friday, and should be fun to use it Saturday.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #162
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Yup it sure is. Just purchased one and should have it Friday, and should be fun to use it Saturday.
what CF cards did you buy for it? how much?
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #163
Major Player

Final thoughts???

Hey guys, I'm really excited about this unit as I've stated elsewhere previously. I KNOW these have been covered in this "book" of replies to this thread, but I just want to confirm the following before I buy one of these (and possibly ending up with about 10 for all cams used in business... I wonder if I can get a bulk purchase discount???)

Anyways... final questions:
1- It WILL record 24f/p in HDV mode just fine???

2- How much "real life" can you expect out of the standard battery for continuous recording?

3- You CAN continue to capture footage while changing out a tape without missing a beat???

4- Is there a file size limit (Possibly FAT32 file system?) where it breaks up the files??? ie, can I record say 60 minutes and it be in ONE file? If not, how much of a break is there during seperation of the clips?

5- Has anyone shot with this for a good amount of duration and had any problems with the captured files on the CF card??? ie, corrupted data, etc.

I'm not wanting to completely replace tape... I'll use tape as a backup and hopefully be able to use the card files that will SPEEEED up many of the projects I'll soon be picking up.

Thanks again, and sorry for asking things that was probably already covered, just wanted REAL hard proof by experience (not speculation, hear-say or "manual" knowledge) of these before I buy......
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #164
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stern View Post
what CF cards did you buy for it? how much?
I purchased 3 16GB 133X transcend that many have had good luck with. They were only $35 each from newegg. Looking at the 300X Transcend as well. We'll see after I play with it this weekend.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #165
New Boot

I ordered one when I got the in stock email from B&H and a Lexar 16gb 300x. Does it come with a battery or do you need to purchase a battery and charger separately?
Kevin Leeyuen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders