Awesome news for canon users - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old November 13th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #166
Trustee

I shoot with both a canon A1 and h1 and had a few questions about this unit (Sony HVRMRC1).
1- We edit with Cineform aspect HD to Adobe Premiere CS3. How would importing the m2t files from the unit integrate into our editing workflow?
2- How does the resulting footage compare to the uncompressed files when using that new XDR cf recorder made by Convergent Design?
3- Marty Hudzik brought up an ergonomic question for the H1. I have a gold mount on the back of my H1, which I use to mount an Anton bauer dionic 90, which powers my Frezzi mini fill. I was trying to imagine how I could also mount the sony unit in addition, and i remembered that I had bought an Anton bauer extender plate assy. so that I could mount a Firestore unitafter the battery. I put the additional bracket on, and it looks like it will work ( though I don't have the unit to try).
4- One thing I didn't like about the firestore unit (which I got rid of) was that it connects via firewire. The firewire plug on the H1 is in a terrible location...hopefully it will work better with the Sony. I like the fact that the Convergent design unit uses a bnc plug to communicate.
Any information would be apprecited.
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Video & Photography
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #167
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger View Post
Hey guys, I'm really excited about this unit as I've stated elsewhere previously. I KNOW these have been covered in this "book" of replies to this thread, but I just want to confirm the following before I buy one of these (and possibly ending up with about 10 for all cams used in business... I wonder if I can get a bulk purchase discount???)

Anyways... final questions:
1- It WILL record 24f/p in HDV mode just fine???

2- How much "real life" can you expect out of the standard battery for continuous recording?

3- You CAN continue to capture footage while changing out a tape without missing a beat???

4- Is there a file size limit (Possibly FAT32 file system?) where it breaks up the files??? ie, can I record say 60 minutes and it be in ONE file? If not, how much of a break is there during seperation of the clips?

5- Has anyone shot with this for a good amount of duration and had any problems with the captured files on the CF card??? ie, corrupted data, etc.

I'm not wanting to completely replace tape... I'll use tape as a backup and hopefully be able to use the card files that will SPEEEED up many of the projects I'll soon be picking up.

Thanks again, and sorry for asking things that was probably already covered, just wanted REAL hard proof by experience (not speculation, hear-say or "manual" knowledge) of these before I buy......
1. Yes
2. N/A for now. I know it says up to 6hrs with the standard battery. If it goes 3hrs I'm happy. Will know sat.
3. N/A
4. Fat32 Limits to 4gb size. It just splits the file with no break. You can connect the two later in your nle
5. N/A

I know others will be able to answer 2, 3, and 5 for you in specific. Take Care
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #168
Major Player

I think asked already but not answered, does the Sony HVRMRC1 come with a battery? it looks like from the photo of 'box opening' it doesn't (??) ... but the B&H site doesn't say which battery is needed... can anyone say and also example of a charger? all my cameras are canon so I am thinking I'll need sony style battery and charger, correct?
thanks..
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #169
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stern View Post
I think asked already but not answered, does the Sony HVRMRC1 come with a battery? it looks like from the photo of 'box opening' it doesn't (??) ... but the B&H site doesn't say which battery is needed... can anyone say and also example of a charger? all my cameras are canon so I am thinking I'll need sony style battery and charger, correct?
thanks..
There is no battery included. Some use the L series batteries as they are slim and give the CF recorder enough power for a good amount of recording time.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #170
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
1. Yes
2. N/A for now. I know it says up to 6hrs with the standard battery. If it goes 3hrs I'm happy. Will know sat.
3. N/A
4. Fat32 Limits to 4gb size. It just splits the file with no break. You can connect the two later in your nle
5. N/A

I know others will be able to answer 2, 3, and 5 for you in specific. Take Care
Thanks Monday... I may soon be ordering the first 2. Knowing the files are broken without missing a beat, that is great news...
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #171
Major Player

Quote:
thanks..
As Randy said you will need to purchase a battery for the recorder and also a charger. It does not come with either. It does work with non sony NP-f570 or bigger type batteries.
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #172
Major Player

Quote:
As Randy said you will need to purchase a battery for the recorder and also a charger. It does not come with either. It does work with non sony NP-f570 or bigger type batteries.
so how did it go, did you use it this past weekend? how was it to use? have you checked out the files yet?
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #173
Major Player

Quote:
so how did it go, did you use it this past weekend? how was it to use? have you checked out the files yet?
It worked very well. Loaded the footage to the computer quickly and was able to start editing right away. Very good investment I must say. I must admit I was very confused at first with how to use the device. I turned on the memory recorder first then the camera and it would not sync at all. Then I followed Evan's process with having the camera on first without the fire wire port in the cam and then connect it to the recorder and it worked with no problems. I know someone else may make the same mistake. I must say with the small 570 battery attached to the recorder it feels like it weighs easily 2lbs. I Velcro the device to the back of the canon and tried it with the glidecam and I must say it was heavy.
Old November 19th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #174
Regular Crew

Quote:
I Velcro the device to the back of the canon and tried it with the glidecam and I must say it was heavy.
I'm very interested in the MRC1, can you show a picture of it velcro'd to the back of your A1?
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #175
New Boot

Hi Monday,

Maybe you've posted the reason and I've missed it, but why don't you mount the MRCK1 in the hotshoe? I find it to be quite light and equally balanced there...even with a battery like the F730.
Tiffany McMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #176
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert Duijzer View Post
I'm very interested in the MRC1, can you show a picture of it velcro'd to the back of your A1?
I'll post it tonight for you when I get back home.
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #177
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany McMichael View Post
Hi Monday,

Maybe you've posted the reason and I've missed it, but why don't you mount the MRCK1 in the hotshoe? I find it to be quite light and equally balanced there...even with a battery like the F730.
The Problem is I use two wireless mics for my events and when not using that I use a light as well, and only have 1 hot shoe and 1 strap. So it was easier for me to velcro it on the back than the top where it will shifts the balance of the camera for me. I can get use to it but I really like it on the back of the camera instead, and it feels well balanced as well. Not everyone will feel comfortable with putting it back there.

Monday
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:03 AM   #178
Major Player

Read through the manual and you can't record audio during tape changes. Shucks. Also, it seems you can't start the CF unit to record via the CF unit and then have the camcorder start via the record button on the camcorder to have one recording independently of the other.

I wanted to buy this thing so I could record video AND audio during tape changes. Seems I can't continue recording through a tape change OR I would have to record during the tape change and not during normal operation based on what the manual says.

:(

Even with those shortcomings, it's still amazing and I'll end up buying it anyway as it will help the studio I work with to more easily do same day edits. Maybe those expectations I had were a bit much?
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:55 PM   #179
Major Player

I've got to admit the cache setting on this device is totally AWESOME!!! It buffer records 7 secs till you hit that record button. Now it's great knowing you can catch that special moment with 7secs buffer record without worrying you missed something. Of course your camera has to be pointed in that direction of the moment taking place. What a nice feature! Sorry for rambling on here but you can tell I'm pretty excited.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:44 PM   #180
Major Player

Quote:
I've got to admit the cache setting on this device is totally AWESOME!!! It buffer records 7 secs till you hit that record button. Now it's great knowing you can catch that special moment with 7secs buffer record without worrying you missed something. Of course your camera has to be pointed in that direction of the moment taking place. What a nice feature! Sorry for rambling on here but you can tell I'm pretty excited.
Yeah, saw that and thought "oOooOOOo!" heh

Does it record the audio as well?
Randy Panado is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders