Awesome news for canon users - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old December 19th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #211
Regular Crew

You can take a lot of great stills on a 4 or 8 gig card. It would be nice to have a timer hooked up to the snapshot button. I haven't found anything to take intervals onto tape.
Don Xaliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #212
Major Player

I got mine yesterday and I have to say this is without doubt the single best accessory one can get for their tape based camera, especially XHA1.

On playing around I noticed if you play back a HDV recorded piece of footage in the camera and hit record on the HVR unit, it actually down converts the footage to SD before recording it as an avi. Thats interesting I thought. On a quick look at the original HDV clip and then the downconverted one, it seems to do a pretty good job too! And this wasn't even recorded with the raw avi filetype which could potentially do it even better.

I wonder could this be an unexpected perk?
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #213
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Griffin View Post
I got mine yesterday and I have to say this is without doubt the single best accessory one can get for their tape based camera, especially XHA1.
Hi Ger. So can you please confirm that 25F recording works OK? Specs and brochures don't always tell the whole story so it would be great to hear from somebody who has actually tried it.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #214
Major Player

Hi Richard, I just tested with PP CS3 on PC.
In HDV mode on the A1 it records in .m2t both 50i and 25f.
These files import and work as they should.
In SD mode, again, both 25f and 50i work perfectly and are a standard .avi file.

The unit automatically detects whatever mode the camera is in.

As already mentioned there is also a RAW .avi file recording which I haven't yet tested as I simply don't need it at the moment. My take on RAW would be that like stills from a DSLR, one would only need RAW if multiple savings of files were needed to be done. eg. a colour correction and masking applied to a shot and made into another uncompressed clip, which again needed to be imported back into another timeline and processed again and so on.
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #215
Trustee

Thanks Ger, appreciate you taking the trouble to confirm this. Now I just need to find somewhere in Singapore that sells this recorder, but that's another problem! :)

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #216
Major Player

Ger,

Have you tried shooting in HDV on the Canon xh A1 and setting the output to downconvert and recording a SD signal on the CF card. The idea of the 2 formats at the same time maybe useful for some applications instead of downconverting from the HDV tape later.

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:48 AM   #217
Major Player

........disregard.......

Last edited by Ger Griffin; December 21st, 2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old December 21st, 2008, 07:00 AM   #218
Major Player

Quote:
On playing around I noticed if you play back a HDV recorded piece of footage in the camera and hit record on the HVR unit, it actually down converts the footage to SD before recording it as an avi. Thats interesting I thought. On a quick look at the original HDV clip and then the downconverted one, it seems to do a pretty good job too! And this wasn't even recorded with the raw avi filetype which could potentially do it even better.

I wonder could this be an unexpected perk?
Answer to my own question - No. And to Bobs question, No.

My cam was doing the downconverting and the unit was reading the signal as a dv signal going into it.

Basically whatever signal the camera is feeding is the signal the unit records in.

We cannot have simultaneous recording of HDV to tape and SD to card.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:18 PM   #219
New Boot

I've read through this thread - just not clear on 2 issues (seems like I have seen different responses):

Battery - what specifically do you need to get to power this unit ?

Continuous recording during tape change - can that be done without dropped frames ?

thanks

Last edited by Dave Messinger; December 22nd, 2008 at 06:28 PM.
Dave Messinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM   #220
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Messinger View Post
I've read through this thread - just not clear on 2 issues (seems like I have seen different responses):

Battery - what specifically do you need to get to power this unit ?

Continuous recording during tape change - can that be done without dropped frames ?

thanks
To answer your first question you can use any L-series sony battery or a compatible off-brand. I purchased a cheap one and charger from China and it's run great with it.

Don't know the answer to your second as I haven't put a tape in my machine since getting the unit. Hopefully someone else as insight on this.
Tiffany McMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #221
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Leeyuen View Post
Velcro to the back
Just wanted to verify, but when you velcro'd the MRC1 to the back of the A1, did you just apply velcro to the battery pack door and then to the side of the MRC1?
James Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #222
Major Player

This is a clever unit in the area of tape change.
When the tape runs out the unit continues to record.
When you make the tape change and press the REC button the new tape begins to record and the unit remains recording.
The next time the rec button is pressed ( to stop recording ) they both stop as usual.

Im not sure if it works the same but opposite for when the card fills.
Old December 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #223
Major Player

Quote:
This is a clever unit in the area of tape change.
When the tape runs out the unit continues to record.
When you make the tape change and press the REC button the new tape begins to record and the unit remains recording.
The next time the rec button is pressed ( to stop recording ) they both stop as usual.

Im not sure if it works the same but opposite for when the card fills.
do you miss any frames or add any audio sync issues during this process? I thought for some reason I read in the A1 manual that when you change tapes, the firewire out misses a few frames (maybe when the record engages). of course this is much better than missing 30-45 seconds of a tape change but just curious
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #224
New Boot

Image quality improvement with MRC1 tapeless recorder

With the tapeless recorder (MRC1)-Has anyone seen an improvment in the A1 when there is movement in the frame or large amounts of detail? As many others have said in other threads-quick movements in the frame are blurry and scenes with lots of detail look compressed and not as sharp. Understanding this is a work around many face with the compressed hdv format. I am looking to purchase the recorder to get around this problem.
Anyone who has seen improvement on this particular issue I'd love to hear comments.

Jason Weisner
Canon XHA1
Premiere Pro 2 |Cineform Aspect HD
Jason Weisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #225
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weisner View Post
With the tapeless recorder (MRC1)-Has anyone seen an improvment in the A1 when there is movement in the frame or large amounts of detail?
I have only heard great things about the quality of the video image of the A1- so I am surprised at this question. Is this really an issue with the A1 ? I am on the verge of getting the A1s - but this is of some concern.

As far as quality of tape vs quality of the MRC1 - I would think (guess) it should be exactly the same - both are M2t files I believe (same codec, and digital data (0's + 1's) are 0's and 1's ). I could be wrong, and I look forward to responses from actual users (which I hope to be one soon).

For me, the idea of the MRC1 is workflow - dump the MC file to a disk and start editing. Plus you have the tape backup for archive if you need. Kind of like the Pana HVC-150 but with tape capabilities - of course, mpeg2 instead of mpeg4.
Dave Messinger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders