Awesome news for canon users - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old January 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #241
Regular Crew

Darn, B&H has the HVR-MRC1K on back order . . .
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #242
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Messinger View Post
Richard - for you or anyone else - and you might not know - but I am struggling between the A1, the A1s, and the Sony HVR-z5u - so this image quality impacts on me a bit. Out of curiosity, do you think you would have the same HDV limitations with the newer Sony z5u - is it just inherent with HDV - or is it the limitation with the camera ?

Thanks
The XH-A1s has some very useful enhancements over the older XH-A1. Unless your budget is tight and you are offered a really good deal on an older model, I'd say go for the newer "s" model.

Looking at footage from my XH-A1 and a friend's Sony FX1 (same optics at the Z1) on the same monitor, the Canon's image is slightly sharper both for moving and static subjects. The FX1000/Z5 is supposed to be an improvement on the older models in this respect, but I've not seen any footage yet. There are two possible sources of improvement:
1) better lens;
2) better MPEG2 encoding.
If the Sony image is now as good as the Canon (can anyone else comment?) then it's down to which one feels better to operate, whether the Sony is worth the extra cash (it's about 20% more in the UK IIRC) and whether you think CMOS chips (Sony) are good, bad or indifferent.

HTH
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #243
Trustee

Which CF cards are people using?

I just got my HVR-MRC1 yesterday and I have to say it's a pretty nice little unit. Smaller than I thought it would be which is nice.

I would like input and to hear of peoples experiences with specific CF cards. Will a 133X card work without problems or should I really look at getting a a UDMA card? Also, has anyone been able to verify if a 32GB card works?

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #244
Regular Crew

Hi. Got my MRC1 today. Works a dream! The pre-record cache feature is a bit freaky but I'm sure to some it will be invaluable. I'm using a SanDisk Extreme III 16GB which the MRC claims 72 minutes. No problems with dumping the .m2t files to Vegas or Pinnacle 12 via a Firewire CF reader, I can't ask for more really. Come on Canon, learn from this....
Regards, Oliver.
Oliver Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #245
Regular Crew

Time Codes

I have been following this thread for months and I am super excited to purchased tow of these units for my A1s.. but I have a question about time-code.

One of the great features of this work flow is that you have the tapes as back-up. Do the tapes and the files captured to the CF card have the same timecode? If so how is this possible with the 12 seconds buffer?

I am just thinking if I were to use the CF card footage to edit the sequence and then down the road I need to restore the project from the tapes, would this work? I have only had to restore a project from the tapes and a back-up file once but it was a lifesaver.

Also... how is everyone mounting this to their cameras. I saw the velcro idea. Any other nifty ways?

On final question... where can we find a short firewire cable to use with this device or is everyone using a 6 foot cable?

Thanks!
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #246
Trustee

File Size Limitation Problems

I just got one of these and used it for the first time this weekend to film a dance recital. One thing I noticed due to the formatting of the CF, the file sizes for the m2t's are limited to approximately 4GB (FAT32 limitation). The unit does start a new file but there are about 3 or 4 frames where there is no audio and the timecode seams off so there is a jump in the picture. I've got the unit set to Cache mode. Has anyone else experienced this and if so have you figured a way around it? If I set the REC MODE to Normal will this make the files smooth?

Other than that I find it a great unit. After I recorded the first half I popped the CF out and plugged it into my laptop and started playing some of the show. People standing around saw it and it generated a good amount of buzz so hopefully it will help video sales.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #247
Regular Crew

File Size Limitation Problems

Right-ho. Just done a 35 min continuous shot of nothing much. I get 21 minutes before the 4 gb is up and I lose 6 frames of audio right at the end but no video frames. The next clip just goes on playing with no visible glitch between the 2 clips, just the audio drop (I'm using Vegas). So I guess if you can keep your max shot length under 20 minutes and restart (perhaps durng a moment you know you can work around in the edit) you should be OK.
Hope this helps any,
Regards, Oliver.
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #248
Trustee

Hi Oliver,

That sounds about what I got but I do notice a slight jump in the video also. Are you running the REC MODE in cache or normal? If I would have known that the unit was going to do that I would have done a quick start and stop at an opportune time before the 20min. I have a Sony PCM D-50 that I use for audio recording and that creates a new file seamlessly. All you do is pull the sound to the timeline, connect the files end to end and you can't hear a difference. I wonder if Sony will be able to use an NTFS files system on the CF cards in the future.

Brian, I'm using my MRC1 on an XL H1A so the mounting is easy. I just made a custom bracket that connects into the FS bracket that comes with the camera. It looks cool and makes the camea balance better in my opinion. For the XH A1 I would consider making a custom bracket from a thin peace of sheet metal that connected under the camera using the tripod mount. Have it extend backward and off the the right side of the camera (looking from the back) so it would sit roughly where the HD-SDI jack pack sits for the G1. Then have the MRC1 face out with the battery next to the camera. Use a 1/4" x 20 screw to secure it for underneath like it was designed.

As far as the timecode I always set to free run and non drop frame so it doesn't matter that the tape rolls after the CF starts to record. I did shoot tape and CF this last weekend and the timecodes are spot on.

I got a 1' firewire cable from Fry's electronics locally but I'm sure you can find it online somewhere. I think my cable cost $8.

Garrett
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #249
Major Player

I don't have one of these units & don't plan on getting one, but can you not just format the CF card as NTFS to get around the 4gig barrier?
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #250
Trustee

Bill,

I'm going to try that tonight but I don't know if the unit will recognize the card if it's formatted as NTFS.

Garrett
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #251
Major Player

I just found the pdf manual I saved long ago & after searching the pdf it seems it's limited to being formatted as FAT32.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #252
Trustee

Yup, confirmed by trial also, won't recognize NTFS.

Sigh.
Old January 14th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #253
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Hi Oliver,

That sounds about what I got but I do notice a slight jump in the video also. Are you running the REC MODE in cache or normal?

Garrett
I was using it in REC MODE, not cache.
Cheers, Oliver.
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #254
Major Player

another heads up guys/gals.

I got 2 transcend 133x 32gb cards for mine and they arent fast enough to keep up with all my stopping and starting. It throws the unit into error and you might not notice this until after a few minutes of working. This leads you to rely on your tapes, and you dont want that.

I can only assume a faster cf card will help to alleviate this.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #255
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Griffin View Post
with all my stopping and starting.
How much stopping and starting are you doing?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders