Awesome news for canon users - Page 19 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #271
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 36
More Deals

Ok... so the credit card is heating up but I found some more deals.

https://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=SDCF16GBXIII - These are the 16GB 30MB/s San Disk Cards. If you buy 3 of them they give you $45.00 off instantly, use the promo code LOYALTY10 for another $10.00 off, then there is a $100.00 mail-in rebate. After all that the total for 3 cards with shipping is $153.24 which works out to $51.80 per card (they are $84 on B&H). Rebate end on the 17th so order now.

Sony HVRMRC1K Memory Recording Unit | Full Compass -Full Compass is carrying the unit for $783.21 ($884.95 on B&H).

Be sure to see the deal above from B&H on the FW800 card reader.
__________________
http://2ndmileproductions.com
Brian Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #272
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Ortiz View Post
I have 3 of these units with my 3 A1 Cameras. At the beginning I was not sure of the investment, Now I'm thinking I did the best. We are shooting multicamera weddings and we are saving a significant time in capturing tapes.
So far no error with CF transcend 133x 32G cards. Changing the tape after an hour It was no creating any significant drop out in my audio.
I let my tape finish and the unit still recording. I change the tape and then I hit record. The tape started recording and the unit instantly creates a new file. on post I did not see any big drop out.
So when you were changing the tapes, the unit is still recording? Then when you hit REC on the camera to record after changing your tape, the CF unit split the file it was presently recording at the time?

Just wanted some clarification. If so, I'm sold. lol
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #273
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Morris View Post
Ok... so the credit card is heating up but I found some more deals.

https://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=SDCF16GBXIII - These are the 16GB 30MB/s San Disk Cards. If you buy 3 of them they give you $45.00 off instantly, use the promo code LOYALTY10 for another $10.00 off, then there is a $100.00 mail-in rebate. After all that the total for 3 cards with shipping is $153.24 which works out to $51.80 per card (they are $84 on B&H). Rebate end on the 17th so order now.

Sony HVRMRC1K Memory Recording Unit | Full Compass -Full Compass is carrying the unit for $783.21 ($884.95 on B&H).

Be sure to see the deal above from B&H on the FW800 card reader.
My wallet hates you Brian. Sweet deals!

I may just bite on the sony unit....argh. Just pulled the trigger on the CF reader to get that rebate too.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #274
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Panado View Post
My wallet hates you Brian. Sweet deals!

I may just bite on the sony unit....argh. Just pulled the trigger on the CF reader to get that rebate too.
My accountant/wife hates me.... haha.... And I am not even getting a cut....
__________________
http://2ndmileproductions.com
Brian Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #275
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Ortiz View Post
I have 3 of these units with my 3 A1 Cameras. At the beginning I was not sure of the investment, Now I'm thinking I did the best. We are shooting multicamera weddings and we are saving a significant time in capturing tapes.
So far no error with CF transcend 133x 32G cards. Changing the tape after an hour It was no creating any significant drop out in my audio.
I let my tape finish and the unit still recording. I change the tape and then I hit record. The tape started recording and the unit instantly creates a new file. on post I did not see any big drop out.
Here is the sample.
Picasa Web Albums - JJvideofilm - HVR-MRC Sony ...
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:42 AM   #276
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Ortiz View Post
Thanks for the video. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the first 5 seconds of that clip, you did not have a tape recording and when the glitch happened, that's when you hit REC on your camera? If that's the case, you were really careful to not have the camera move at all while inserting the new tape.

You let the tape run out and didn't hit REC to stop the tape right? When it was out of room, you ejected it out and put another tape in then just hit REC again? I'm also assuming that if you would have stopped the tape before it ran out then the CF unit would have stopped as well?

Just want to make sure I got the exact sequence in which you did this.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #277
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Panado View Post
Thanks for the video. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the first 5 seconds of that clip, you did not have a tape recording and when the glitch happened, that's when you hit REC on your camera? If that's the case, you were really careful to not have the camera move at all while inserting the new tape.

You let the tape run out and didn't hit REC to stop the tape right? When it was out of room, you ejected it out and put another tape in then just hit REC again? I'm also assuming that if you would have stopped the tape before it ran out then the CF unit would have stopped as well?

Just want to make sure I got the exact sequence in which you did this.
Randy you are Correct!
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #278
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 1,771
Here are some pictuers of the Sony on my XL H1A:
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #279
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 1,771
For some reason my last post didn't upload the pictures. Hopefully this one works.
Attached Thumbnails
Awesome news for canon users-_dsc5686.jpg   Awesome news for canon users-_dsc5676.jpg  

Awesome news for canon users-_dsc5674.jpg  
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #280
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 1,771
Randy, tested the card removal during filming and no problems. I did not just eject the card but instead hit the stop button then removed the card, put a new one in and started the unit by hitting the (two) record buttons. Then I tried start stop from the camera and it all syncs up fine.

There is a red light on the back that tells you it's recording and when you get down to around 4 minutes of time left it starts blinking. It doesn't change when it's completely out though so once it starts blinking change out cards at the next opportune moment.

The unit is actually pretty smart. My timecode is set to freerun NDF and it pics up perfectly to match the tape. No glitches on the tape during card change out. Other than hearing me change the card and noticing a slight movement (I didn't lock the tripod head down during the card change) you wouldn't know anything happened from looking at the tape.

I'm getting more impressed with the Sony recorder as I find out more about it.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #281
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Ortiz View Post
Randy you are Correct!
Wow! Thanks for the info Jose. How did you keep the camera from moving during the tape change? heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Randy, tested the card removal during filming and no problems. I did not just eject the card but instead hit the stop button then removed the card, put a new one in and started the unit by hitting the (two) record buttons. Then I tried start stop from the camera and it all syncs up fine.

There is a red light on the back that tells you it's recording and when you get down to around 4 minutes of time left it starts blinking. It doesn't change when it's completely out though so once it starts blinking change out cards at the next opportune moment.

The unit is actually pretty smart. My timecode is set to freerun NDF and it pics up perfectly to match the tape. No glitches on the tape during card change out. Other than hearing me change the card and noticing a slight movement (I didn't lock the tripod head down during the card change) you wouldn't know anything happened from looking at the tape.

I'm getting more impressed with the Sony recorder as I find out more about it.

Garrett
Awesome. Freakin Awesome. I wonder why the unit has two record buttons, lol. I appreciate you doing that test. That's a BIG advantage.

So final assessment :

When out of tape, unit has about a second loss of audio and video while recording to card when new tape starts recording.

When out of CF card room, tape has no problems when switching cards. On unit, press stop when ready then press both REC buttons on unit to resume CF card capture.

This thing rocks! I actually like the 4GB file limit. I can back up each file to a single dvd when archiving with tape.

Thanks for the info Jose and Garrett.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #282
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 1,771
I'd agree Randy, this little device is pretty awesome. It does have some small things that it could do better but I can live with them. And the ability to download and begin editing about 4 times faster than through tape, plus already have my archive copy on tape makes this thing more than worth the price for me.

Plus, I think it look cool.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #283
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Waterloo, IL
Posts: 57
Can anyone answer the question on cold...how does it perform when used in cold temps 0 - 32 F?
Derrick DeWilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #284
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Knokke-Heist, Belgium
Posts: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jackson View Post
Upon doing some research, the only HDV format will be M2T which sucks for us Mac users.
Roscor Corporation - Discount Video Warehouse
(See bottom of page)
Well, it's not all that bad: Sony has developed a plug-in for Final Cut Pro, but not for Final Cut Express.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:34 AM   #285
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Waterloo, IL
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
Daan,

When you get the unit up and running could you please try simultaneously shooting HDV to tape and SD to CF, to see if there are any problems.

I would also love to know if the record to 14 second cache works.

Thanks

Bob
Bob, can you explain what a cache is? Sorry, kind of new to this and don't know what this really means.
Derrick DeWilde is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network