Awesome news for canon users - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old January 21st, 2009, 04:46 PM   #286
Major Player

In a certain mode "cache", the device will continually be holding in memory the last 14 seconds of video so that when you start the record button you have actually recorded the previous 14 seconds of video.

It means you could wait until the football goes into the net and then start the recording and you have the ball prior to it going into the net.

Has this been tested out?

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:00 AM   #287
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
It means you could wait until the football goes into the net and then start the recording and you have the ball prior to it going into the net.

Has this been tested out?

Bob
Fantastic, now if the cache was increased then you could take your camera to New York and capture footage of the jet ditching in the Hudson. :-)
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:08 PM   #288
Regular Crew

Yes. I videoed a clock and pressed rec when the second hand hit 12. Playing back, the video clip started from when the second hand hit 46 seconds, ie 14 seconds earlier. Cool feature!
Oliver.
Oliver Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:37 PM   #289
Regular Crew

That is awesome! I film hunts and sometimes, you may have the camera rolling, but not hit record on time. That is a cool feature!
Derrick DeWilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:49 PM   #290
Trustee

Yeah, this is one great feature. I recently did a dance show that they decided to just start without any warning. The sound guys usually give me a heads up about 30 seconds ahead and I can make sure all my sound/video is rolling. So, when the music started without any warning I had to scramble. Good thing I remembered to get the camera rolling first then run to fire up my audio. That 14 second cache saved the first number.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #291
Major Player

Dropped audio???

I am very interested in this unit for my XH-A1 but I have one major question that I have not gotten a definitive answer on:

If you are filming a two hour show, are there dropped audio frames when the unit makes a new file?

Does the sony program or clipwrap fix this?

thank you.
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #292
Trustee

Hi Jonathan,

From my experiences with it, I am getting about 5 1/2 frames of dropped audio and it misses two frames of video in the new file. What you see if you put the two files together at the break point of the first file the audio drops for about 5 1/2 frames then picks up in sync with real time at the start of the next file. For the video, the end of the first file is in sync, then the first two frames of the next file are the same and they seem to be two frames ahead of real time. Then the third frame falls back into sync with real time.

I was using the Cache mode so maybe if you don't have it on the files won't have this odd behavior.

This isn't a huge problem for me as I always run two cameras and a separate system for audio when I shoot a show. I also run tape as well as the Sony so I have just gone to the tape and taken the 10 frames each 20 minutes I need to make it look seamless. A bit more work but since the time codes match for the tape and CF unit it's really easy and fast to do the small tape capture I need.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #293
Regular Crew

Pictures mounting the HVR-MRC1K On The XHA1

You that have the HVR-MRC1K, can you show some detailed/different angle photos (top, both sides view, of the attachment and cable routing. This Photo leaves out top view and right side view and how the velcro is installed. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Awesome news for canon users-xha1-hvr-mrc1k.jpg  
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #294
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cook View Post
You that have the HVR-MRC1K, can you show some detailed/different angle photos (top, both sides view, of the attachment and cable routing. This Photo leaves out top view and right side view and how the velcro is installed. Thanks.
I would be interested in more photos as well.
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #295
Major Player

Has anyone that purchased this unit been sorry.
I hate to spend the money but boy this would save so much time.

I use some large fast cards for my canon 1Ds Mark III and 1D Mark III, can I use these cards with the Sony unit, then reformat and use back in cameras?
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #296
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cook View Post
Hey Rob,

Do you just remove the unit from the camera to change the card? Makes me nervous since the door is "flimsy" as it is.
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #297
Regular Crew

That's my point:(

Brian, That's my point. I copied this from "Kevin Leeyuen" on page 13. I can't tell whats up with it , how this was done, or how it works. It's like a movie trailer , I really don't know whats up! We should always try to post so us dummies can learn how to implement what someone has brilliantly came up with:-)

It also cuts down on the questions you have. If you give me the info up front, I will just say
" Hey Thanks, and good job" and mean it.

P.S. I,m Guilty! I read my post that's 4 up from here (on page 20), and I didn't let you clearly know that I copied the photo from "Kevin Leeyuen" on page 13 of this thread.
I will now whip myself, with a microphone cord! With the XLR end exposed! Shame On Me!:)
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #298
Regular Crew

I got mine today. It definitely makes the front end heavier when mounted in the hot shoe. Does anyone have any other mounting options (with photos)?
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #299
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Well, it's not all that bad: Sony has developed a plug-in for Final Cut Pro, but not for Final Cut Express.
A simple solution is an app called ClipWrap.
It wil take your m2t files and rewrap them in a QT wrapper.
there is no transcoding of the file, as the file is just rewraped, so Final Cut can recognize it.

It is amazingly fast and works great, give it a try. I use it often going back and forth between Vegas on the PC side and FCP on the MAC side.
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #300
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Morris View Post
I got mine today. It definitely makes the front end heavier when mounted in the hot shoe. Does anyone have any other mounting options (with photos)?
How about getting a handle bracket and mounting it to that.
this way the weight is centered on the center of the camera and not the front.

The only downside for A1 users is that teh transport controls are on the handle.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders