Awesome news for canon users - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old January 30th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #316
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jackson View Post
FCP doesn't recognize M2T format. That's Premier.
...But Avid MC does. It runs on MAC or PC straight out of the box. Problem solved :-)
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:46 AM   #317
Regular Crew

Just checked out ClipWrap. It looks like an excellent tool!

In the online tutorial for ClipWrap, it mentioned that it will join together separate files recorded by tapeless devices (it specifically mentioned a Firestore in the tutorial) and will account for the HDV GOP in order to eliminate dropped frames when joining them together.

Has anyone checked the media that they've rewrapped using ClipWrap to see if it eliminates the dropped frame issues that people have gotten here?
Glenn Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 09:24 AM   #318
Major Player

Clipwrap???

Glenn,

I have asked this question twice and have not gotten a definitive response. This is the only questions holding me back from purchasing this unit. Hopefully someone out there can run a test for us......
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM   #319
Regular Crew

I contacted DivergentMedia, the software company behind ClipWrap, and asked them if they have used the MC1 and whether or not their software can stitch the files back together in such a way as to avoid the short dropouts that some users have mentioned. Here's the email that I got back from Mike Woodworth over at DivergentMedia:

Quote:
Thanks for the interest in ClipWrap. We have not tested with the HVR-MC1 internally, but I know we have customers using ClipWrap with it. ClipWrap will combine these spanned files for a seamless playback (no dropouts), the problem is we rely on specific naming conventions to detect these spanned files. I believe you need to slightly alter the file's names in order for ClipWrap to detect and combine the sets.
So it sounds like they have customers that have worked with the device and have had success in the past, although it's still a little unclear whether their software specifically solves the issue that many have mentioned.

I would still like to hear from somebody on this board who has the MC1 and has used ClipWrap with it.
Glenn Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #320
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cook View Post
You that have the HVR-MRC1K, can you show some detailed/different angle photos (top, both sides view, of the attachment and cable routing. This Photo leaves out top view and right side view and how the velcro is installed. Thanks.
Would like to see more photos too!
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #321
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan MacDonald View Post
Would like to see more photos too!
I posted pictures of my mount here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...nt-w-pics.html
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #322
Regular Crew

Buyer beware !!!!!

[QUOTE=Brian Morris;995769]Ok... so the credit card is heating up but I found some more deals.

.......Sony HVRMRC1K Memory Recording Unit | Full Compass -Full Compass is carrying the unit for $783.21 ($884.95 on B&H)...........

I emailed Full Compass regarding expedited shipping on the MRC1 ( the web site states "usually ships 2-3 weeks " )- here's my reply :

"Hello! Sony is so big it isn't the most compliant vendor I have. We quote 2 to 3 weeks, but it could be 1 week to ten years. If it's in country it isn't a problem. If it's in Japan that's another story. Sorry I can't paint a rosier picture." (from Mike Beckon )

I'll give him an A+ for being honest.
Darin Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 04:15 AM   #323
Trustee

4GB Files recombined with no dropped frames

This program that can be downlaoded from Sony for free combines the 4GB files without any dropped frames:

HVR-DR60 | Hard Disk Recording Unit

Check out this other thread for proper credit to Darin Clifton for a brilliant find,

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...ttom-line.html

I tested it with a shoot that ran over an hour. I basically had what should have been two clips, one 30 second clip laying down color bars and one other clip of the performance. The CF card had 5 m2t files on it. I popped the CF card into my CF reader and fired up the application. It showed that it would import two files. The first was the color bars and the second was the entire show, no dropped frames of video or audio.

With that I have to say this make this unit one of the best accessories I could imagine for any HDV camera.

I know Sony wouldn't be so stupid to put out a unit that couldn't put out completely seamless long clips. I just with they would have made this program easier to find out about. But, at least it's free.

All you HVR MRC1K owners go download!
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 04:17 AM   #324
Trustee

Sorry, the link to the program didn't come through. Here it is again,

And they have a Windows and FCP version.
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:46 AM   #325
Regular Crew

Just done a 33 minute 'out of the windows' shot and I can confirm joining the clips using the software downloaded from Sony it DOES NOT LOSE AUDIO whereas if I just butt the 2 clips together on the timeline it does. Many thanks, all seems sorted ! (Just need to overcome the 2 second delay in recording in sync mode now...)
Oliver.
Oliver Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 05:58 PM   #326
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sobodos View Post
I posted pictures of my mount here:[/url]
Steve, I noticed that your viewfinder becomes unusable in this set-up, no? Do you only use it in combination with your lcd and a tripod or also when handheld? With your setup you also might have the possibility to extend the recorder on the right side of your camera so you still could use the viewfinder.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:07 PM   #327
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Sorry, the link to the program didn't come through. Here it is again,

And they have a Windows and FCP version.
Hi Garrett, thanks for the link. How do you get this utility to unpack? I tried to run it on my Win XP SP2 system and it just says it's not a Win32 application. Any suggestions?

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:40 AM   #328
Trustee

I just downloaded it and double clicked. It's just a small app that runs straight from the .exe file. I'm running it on Vista but it should run fine on XP. I don't have access to my XP 32bit machine right now but I'll try it on that once my XP machine frees up.

Garrett
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:25 AM   #329
Major Player

You guys think this will work with a Sony EX1?
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:20 AM   #330
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
I just downloaded it and double clicked. It's just a small app that runs straight from the .exe file. I'm running it on Vista but it should run fine on XP. I don't have access to my XP 32bit machine right now but I'll try it on that once my XP machine frees up.

Garrett
Hi Garrett. My download was corrupt somehow. I had to download it about 5 times before it was OK. Anyway it is working now, thanks.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders