Awesome news for canon users - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old March 15th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #61
New Boot

Hi all - to supplement Evan's info - I've been able to borrow the company's new Z7 for the weekend to try this out, and I can confirm that this recorder does indeed start and stop recording with the A1's start/stop button.

The HVR-MRC1 needs to be set to cam link mode (press CAM LINK button, a little lightning bolt appears in the display) for the A1's start/stop to function.

It does create several M2T files for a single capture sequence, so I'm not sure if it's doing scene detection or what. The files are various lengths so it's not a max file size thing. Anyone have a link to the manual?
James Crask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #62
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Crask View Post
Hi all - to supplement Evan's info - I've been able to borrow the company's new Z7 for the weekend to try this out, and I can confirm that this recorder does indeed start and stop recording with the A1's start/stop button.

The HVR-MRC1 needs to be set to cam link mode (press CAM LINK button, a little lightning bolt appears in the display) for the A1's start/stop to function.

It does create several M2T files for a single capture sequence, so I'm not sure if it's doing scene detection or what. The files are various lengths so it's not a max file size thing. Anyone have a link to the manual?
Hi James. That is great news if the recoder does sync to the start/stop. Thanks for reporting that.

Regarding the scene detection thing, what exactly do you mean by "single capture sequence"?

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #63
Regular Crew

the A1 tape system works flawlessly. I have been using Sony Premium DV tapes with no dropout problems whatsoever.
B.J. Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #64
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Crask View Post
It does create several M2T files for a single capture sequence, so I'm not sure if it's doing scene detection or what. The files are various lengths so it's not a max file size thing.
Like all tapeless workflows, it will create a file every time the you hit start and stop, so a separate file for every shot. Bring them in to an NLE and every shot then becomes a discrete clip. That can get unmanageable, in which case clips can be grouped to form a sequence, the actual material remaining as separate files. Max file only comes into play for long takes, (typically >10 minutes) when a single take may be split into single files. Obviously they can be seemlessly rejoined.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #65
New Boot

Hi Richard - As David noted I meant a single take - one continuous start to stop sequence.

However, after a fun day experimenting, I've found that the MRC1 consistently creates two files per take when hooked to the A1 - a small 8-10MB file, then the remainder of the take in the second file with no further errors. Between the two files I see a glitch for two frames at 00:02;15. An example is shown this PPro2 grab.

The error does not appear on the tape of the same take. On the same subject with the Z7U, it does not create the error, and has a single file per take as would be expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Awesome news for canon users-sample1.jpg  
Old March 16th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #66
Trustee

Thanks James. So this 8 - 10 MB file is what - the first 3 seconds or so of each shot? If so, that's pretty bad news, right? That glitch could ruin a lot of otherwise good shots.

Richard
Old March 16th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #67
New Boot

Just to clarify - the first 2-3 seconds are recorded ok in the first file, then the glitch appears for the first 2 frames of the second file. The rest of the second file is ok. Of the about 20 takes I did on the A1 yesterday, 14 of the small files are 2 secs-15 frames long, the rest are 3 secs 0 frames.

A quick snip in your NLE of choice should remove the error without losing anything significant - it's just annoying as it is definitely repeatable on every take. It would be good to hear from any others with this combo - if they are seeing the same problem, of if I'm doing something boneheaded...
Old March 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #68
Regular Crew

So the moral here is "try to start recording 3 second early to avoid glitches", I suppose. Shame, but that's life, I guess.

What about sound? Does that drop too?
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #69
New Boot

Ok, getting to the bottom of this now... I found a setting in the MRC1 menu that sets it to "SYNCHRO" rather than "FOLLOW", with synchro selected I now get single files per take (6 out of 6 tries, anyway).

Just the sort of goof that happens when playing with cool new stuff without access to the manual! I found out that Sony put the manual for this on the CD that came with Z7U, which I don't have here.

Anyhow - it seems to work as Evan originally posted, and I will be borrowing this one every chance I get...

Cards used are PNY 266x 8GB. Very fast reading into the PC - finally a (cost effective) non-real time HDV transfer solution for the A1! PPro2 mode used was HDV1080i, I haven't yet tried the Cineform modes that I normally use to capture from the A1.

Last edited by James Crask; March 16th, 2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Firestore etc not withstanding...
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Excellent news! Now, if B&H can just get this thing in stock, we'd be all set. :)
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #71
Trustee

Yes that sounds a lot better! Thanks James.

Richard
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #72
Major Player

I'm fairly happy about all this :)
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM   #73
Regular Crew

m2t to FCP

I am also intrigued by this. I would like the unit mainly for Same Day Edits during wedding day shoots. I was discouraged by the news that the unit only records mt2 files as FCP can't use them but then I found this thread on the Apple Discussion forums.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=6807725

About 2/3 of the way down the thread "AlexTW" posted this link which is off of Sony's site. It is a plug-in to convert the mt2 files for FCP. Right under his post another person posts that, after some trouble, they got the plug-in to work with files from the Z7's memory recording unit. Here is the link to the plug-in.

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/...dv/fcp_plugin/

I downloaded it in hopes that Sony will sell these units.

PS.. if someone can get a hold of one of these units and test this plug-in I would be over joyed.
Brian Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #74
New Boot

Link to HVR-MRC1 manual

Link to the PDF posted recently in the Z7 forum...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=114943
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #75
Regular Crew

James: Have you tried the cache recording mode? I'd be VERY interested to hear any experiences with that. I can think of all kinds of uses for that one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders