Awesome news for canon users - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old March 27th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #76
Major Player

James, thanks for all this info.
On page 9 of the PDF it seems to make reference to this "Synchro" business

It seems that "synchro" would be a more frame accurate method of simultaneous recording to both tape
and card while stopping and starting.

So could it be that the A1 has this "external REC control"
which in turn solved your problem?
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #77
Major Player

Any update on this? Has this become an option to purchase separately from Sony? Got quiet here all of a sudden..heh.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #78
Regular Crew

I've been wondering the same thing, only hoping that someone suddenly breakout the good news. I also tried contacting Sony but always end up at the wrong place.
Mike Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #79
Regular Crew

I suspect (hope) we'll hear more during NAB.
Paul Chiappini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #80
Major Player

Sorry I forgot to post back. It'll be around 1000 bucks (at least in canada) and look for sept-oct for availability. That's what I've been told by sony so far.

A bit more then I would have liked but hey this is sony, but at least the option exists. I'm hoping NAB will have a focus enchancements reverse engineered one for less bread and maybe a second slot.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #81
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jackson View Post
Upon doing some research, the only HDV format will be M2T which sucks for us Mac users.
http://www.dvwonline.com/content/view/615/646/
(See bottom of page)
Came across this by accident on the Canadian Sony support page. At the bottom of the page is a link to some software that apparently will make the .m2t files usable within FCP. Haven't tried it obviously (I don't use Mac), but thought it might be helpful. Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.sony.ca/hdv/support.htm
Steve Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #82
Trustee

I used MPEG Streamclip for years now exactly to bring .m2t files to FCP. The important things to consider are: a) you need to select an appropriate codec to preserve you color fidelity. ProRes is not the best choice as you will add data loss to the data loss of 4:2:0 compression. Uncompressed or SheerVideo are better choices. b) if you shot your material at 24fps remember to enter 23.976 as you frame rate in MPSC in order to have the footage converted appropriately.
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #83
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Baker View Post
Came across this by accident on the Canadian Sony support page. At the bottom of the page is a link to some software that apparently will make the .m2t files usable within FCP. Haven't tried it obviously (I don't use Mac), but thought it might be helpful. Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.sony.ca/hdv/support.htm
To use it with fcp instead of mpeg streamclip use this:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....6&postcount=23
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM   #84
Major Player

I wonder if the bean counters at Canon have considered how many XH-A1 and XL-H1 owners would buy a solid state recorder designed specifically to match these cams? If Canon released a nice SD or CF writer at a reasonable price (say $500-700?) how many of us *wouldn't* buy it?

And of course in addition to selling these to a high percentage of existing Canon HDV customers, just imagine the overall popularity of a solid state recorder if it included a standard shoe mount?

Honestly I don't understand why a company like Focus Enhancements hasn't already come to market with something like this. No cooling fans or other moving parts, no expensive hard disk, etc.... And they could even market a low end unit with a single slot or a high end unit with 2 rollover slots. Oh well...
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM   #85
Regular Crew

I think Canon has a thing or two to learn from Red. Very few people were dreaming with 4K Cameras. Red convinces you that you needed 4K then provided the cameras along with a host of other gears. All I'm saying is that Mr. Jannard is a genius, and Canon is not learnig from it.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:17 PM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Quinones View Post
I think Canon has a thing or two to learn from Red. Very few people were dreaming with 4K Cameras. Red convinces you that you needed 4K then provided the cameras along with a host of other gears. All I'm saying is that Mr. Jannard is a genius, and Canon is not learnig from it.
Well lets be fair now, you could replace "Canon" with "Sony", "Panasonic" or "JVC" and have the same outcome :)

But lets not deviate into a Red vs Canon discussion here (actually, I think there might already be a thread for that).
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM   #87
Regular Crew

Hi Phillip:
No intention in making this a Canon vs Red discussion. It's only that Canon plays it too safe when it comes to Video Cameras but not in photography. I was hoping from them a more aggressive approach to innovation. But anyway I'm fully aware of other choices.
Old April 24th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #88
Regular Crew

Hey guys, I'm currently an HC1 owner looking to upgrade (but not necessarily replace my HC1), and I am bouncing around from thread to thread finding info. After looking around a bit, I started eyeing the XH-A1 as what would be a good next camera. One of the key points being the $3kish price.

But with my next camera, I really would like to be be able to record both to CF and Tape. My main purpose of this camera will be to record myself doing stand up around the DC area; however, when performing, I usually record other people's stand up performances and sell them their performance as a DVD. This works perfectly because it helps me get back some of the money I'm dropping on my equipment.

So that's where recording to CF would be perfect because I'd like to definitely have a hard backup of my performances in full HD, but may not need to get to it for a while. However, for the other performers, I need to get their DVD to them in about 1-2 weeks. So for them, I would just like to record to CF, get their DVD to them, and once everything checks out, delete their footage.

So that being said, if I haven't bought the XH-A1 yet, but really would like this functionality, should I look into something else? Or is there a very good chance that what we're discussing here for the Z7 will be available for the XH-A1 at a fairly reasonable price (although $700+ is still a bit hard to swallow).

In addition to stand up, I would also like to use this camera to work on a short film or similar project one day. I'm still debating on selling my HC1 if I get this camera because I'm not sure how much I would enjoy taking an XH-A1 to personal events as opposed to the portable HC1.

By the way, I think the OP should change this subject to something a bit more related to what we're missing. I skipped over the thread before finally clicking on it to see what it was all about. And it turns out it discussed what I was interested in.
Old April 24th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #89
Regular Crew

The A1 has an SD card reader built in.

It would be so simple if this one could also be used for video recording purposes. it might be too slow, but, think of it, one minute... if a much cheaper consumer cam can do this, why not the A1? Any reason to think that the internal hardware is so different?

Unfortunately, I share the feeling that we don't have to expect a firmware update anymore, enabling new, magnificent features, but Canon, if you should read this: the Sony Z7 would look like an old camel with its backpack recorder if you could make the A1 record m2t's on SD-cards as well.
Dirk Bouwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:37 PM   #90
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Bouwen View Post
The A1 has an SD card reader built in.

It would be so simple if this one could also be used for video recording purposes. it might be too slow, but, think of it, one minute... if a much cheaper consumer cam can do this, why not the A1? Any reason to think that the internal hardware is so different?

Unfortunately, I share the feeling that we don't have to expect a firmware update anymore, enabling new, magnificent features, but Canon, if you should read this: the Sony Z7 would look like an old camel with its backpack recorder if you could make the A1 record m2t's on SD-cards as well.
Now just upgrade the A1 with 1/2" chips for better low-light performance, and you'd have a killer camcorder.
John Markert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders