Awesome news for canon users - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old September 16th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #106
Major Player

Does this unit have a memory cache, I would like it record about 10 seconds into cache so that I never miss a bird taking flight or a soccer goal

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #107
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
Does this unit have a memory cache, I would like it record about 10 seconds into cache so that I never miss a bird taking flight or a soccer goal

Bob
I seem to remember reading about a 3 second buffer - see if you can find a Sony z7 brochure or user-manual, since the MRU1 has been shipping with the z7 for several months.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #108
Major Player

Thanks, I should have done a search of this web site, I found the manual http://www.dvinfo.net//conf/sony-hvr...er-manual.html

it appears that the cache is 14 seconds which is fantastic

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #109
Major Player

Perhaps it's a bit of engineering costs.???

A brand new PC stand alone tower quoted to me by a private builder for $900.

800 mhz front end buss

2.4 dual processor

500 gig HD 7200rpm

ASUS motherboard

Software

4 Gig ram

+Many more goodies...

Well, you get the picture..

$900 for quite a bit of hardware and software....

But for the A-1....

A 100 gig processor, just to 'record' analog to digital runs well over $1,000.

Like I said...gotta pay for those engineering costs.

:)

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #110
Regular Crew

Got a reply from a Sony representative

Fired off an e-mail to Sony, and this was the response I got:

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your interest in Sony products. I am not sure when the HVRMRC1 will be released for sale as an individual product or how much.
I have also heard that this unit should be available for purchase as a separate item but do not know if it will be sold through a reseller or through our parts department.

The best that I can suggest is to keep an eye out on our web site Sony | Broadcast and Business Solutions for the part to be listed. Once it is available on the website, we will know if it will be consider as a part that can be ordered through our parts or a unit that will need to be purchased through a reseller.

I am sorry I do not have more information available for you at this time.

Regards,
Donna De Genaro
Old September 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #111
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Chamberlain View Post
Fired off an e-mail to Sony, and this was the response I got:

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your interest in Sony products. I am not sure when the HVRMRC1 will be released for sale as an individual product or how much.
I have also heard that this unit should be available for purchase as a separate item but do not know if it will be sold through a reseller or through our parts department.

The best that I can suggest is to keep an eye out on our web site Sony | Broadcast and Business Solutions for the part to be listed. Once it is available on the website, we will know if it will be consider as a part that can be ordered through our parts or a unit that will need to be purchased through a reseller.

I am sorry I do not have more information available for you at this time.

Regards,
Donna De Genaro
Well the response is ridiculous as the MRC1 is going to be sold separately. But being sold as the MRC1K.
As Sony had already announced that the MRC1K will be sold separately so new users of the Z5 can purchase them for use with their cameras.
It was also posted that it is the same unit that currently ships with the Z7.

Release date was scheduled for October and retail around $940.

This directly from the Sony Press release.

Now as for price. it might go up or down, but Sony also said it would retail for
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #112
Trustee

I may have missed it somewhere in this thread but will the Sony unit record Canon's 24F from the A1 and will it be able to record the 24f from the HV20?

Sorry if this has already been addressed here.

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #113
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
I may have missed it somewhere in this thread but will the Sony unit record Canon's 24F from the A1 and will it be able to record the 24f from the HV20?

Sorry if this has already been addressed here.

Thanks,
Garrett
I believe someone in this thread has recorded 24F to the unit. The HV series records 24P within a 60i stream, so that's just standard 1080i/60 as far as a recording unit is concerned. We should be good to go... when Sony finally releases it :)
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #114
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams View Post
I believe someone in this thread has recorded 24F to the unit. The HV series records 24P within a 60i stream, so that's just standard 1080i/60 as far as a recording unit is concerned. We should be good to go... when Sony finally releases it :)
As far as I know, no it can't.
Sony and canon have different methods of recording 24P footage.
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #115
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
As far as I know, no it can't.
Sony and canon have different methods of recording 24P footage.
Actually Sony has moved to progressive 24P recording in their newer models, same as Canon's.
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #116
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams View Post
Actually Sony has moved to progressive 24P recording in their newer models, same as Canon's.
But do they encode the same way as Canon's 24F?
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #117
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
But do they encode the same way as Canon's 24F?
Yes, its native progressive at 24fps. Their newest VTR even works with 24F footage. People need to stop being confused by the "F" :) Doesn't matter that the sensors are interlaced and magically produce a progressive frame that Canon calls F instead of P, the resultant MPEG2 stream is progressive 24fps. Just like Sony does now.
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #118
Regular Crew

Interesting, really, but not too practical if you want to record native m2t files. A friend of mine uses a small portable PC with an 80GB HDD inside, software needed for this and records both in the tape and in the portable PC. The only limitation is the portable PC, 150-160 minutes. But you can solve , if you want, this limitation too. And it is cheaper.
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #119
Major Player

I was wondering about a small laptop too. Not only can you record direct to disk, but you get a bigger screen to look at. Our current laptop is quite big and heavy, but I use it when doing stuff close to the house - it's quite heavy on battery power, and that is probably its main limitation, so I have to be within cable reach of a power supply.
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #120
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Haycock View Post
I was wondering about a small laptop too. Not only can you record direct to disk, but you get a bigger screen to look at. Our current laptop is quite big and heavy, but I use it when doing stuff close to the house - it's quite heavy on battery power, and that is probably its main limitation, so I have to be within cable reach of a power supply.
While a laptop is a good and viable option, many of us, like myself, need to be totally compact and portable.
So a laptop is not an option.

Most of the time I am run and gun for sports events, weddings, and such. A laptop would be viable option for my stage performances and some cooperate production. But a CF recorder is very small, lightweight, and very reliable (as there's no moving parts). Plus the cards are swappable, whiole hard drive solutions are not.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders