DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/)
-   -   Awesome news for canon users (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/116520-awesome-news-canon-users.html)

Annie Haycock September 26th, 2008 08:02 AM

It's limited use for me too, as I shoot mostly wildlife. But when using the kitchen as a blind, or a blind in the garden, or small creatures on a set, I have had the luxury of recording direct to the laptop. And being able to focus via the bigger screen is wonderful. Anywhere else, and I'm recording only to tape. But I can't help feeling that when I'm in dusty environments, using equipment that doesn't have any more moving parts than absolutely necessary is a good thing. Hence I'm following this thread with interest.

Jeff Kellam September 26th, 2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot (Post 943430)
While a laptop is a good and viable option, many of us, like myself, need to be totally compact and portable.
So a laptop is not an option.

Most of the time I am run and gun for sports events, weddings, and such. A laptop would be viable option for my stage performances and some cooperate production. But a CF recorder is very small, lightweight, and very reliable (as there's no moving parts). Plus the cards are swappable, whiole hard drive solutions are not.

I don't mean to take this thread too off topic, but being a longtime A1 user who just got a Panasonic AG HMC-150, I thought I would share my tapeless excitement.

So far, a tapeless camera seems the way to go. Just sticking the SDHC card in the card reader gets stuff on the HD and timeline really quick, literally in a couple minutes, then put the SDHC card back in the camera.

I really like the A1s and I hope the next ones are tapeless. It's possible a tapeless XH-A1 will be out in the next year I would think.

Philip Williams September 26th, 2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan Parmenides (Post 943024)
Interesting, really, but not too practical if you want to record native m2t files.

I thought the CF recorder does save m2t files...?? Did I remember that wrong?

Philip Williams September 26th, 2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam (Post 943495)
I really like the A1s and I hope the next ones are tapeless. It's possible a tapeless XH-A1 will be out in the next year I would think.

I really wish Canon would release a CF or SD recording unit that integrates with the XH series, maybe at the $600-800 price point. They'd sell by the boatload and offer Canon the benefit of retaining a couple of customers that might have jumped brands otherwise.

Randy Panado October 22nd, 2008 07:15 PM

Anything new happening with this thing? Anxious to move into tapeless workflow..lol.

Samuel Ko October 30th, 2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Panado (Post 954374)
Anything new happening with this thing? Anxious to move into tapeless workflow..lol.

B&H doesnt have it on their site yet.
And the sony site only has a "have sony contact me" button

Evan C. King October 30th, 2008 11:45 PM

In the states you can get if from b&h.
In canada you can get it from vistek.

$850 at b&H: Sony | HVR-MRC1 MEMORY RECORDING UNIT | HVR-MRC1 | B&H Photo

Evan C. King October 30th, 2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Williams (Post 943549)
I thought the CF recorder does save m2t files...?? Did I remember that wrong?

Nope you're right, a quick process from that to bring them into most nles.

Richard Hunter October 31st, 2008 08:19 AM

Hi Evan. I use Vegas and Edius, and they both accept m2t files directly. Are you saying the CF recorder files need a conversion to make them m2t, or that other NLEs don't accept m2t files? I'd appreciate it if you could clarify that please.

Richard

Evan C. King October 31st, 2008 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Hunter (Post 958028)
Hi Evan. I use Vegas and Edius, and they both accept m2t files directly. Are you saying the CF recorder files need a conversion to make them m2t, or that other NLEs don't accept m2t files? I'd appreciate it if you could clarify that please.

Richard

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was saying that it does make m2t and certain nles can't read m2t natively. For example final cut needs a plugin off sony's site to take in m2t. It's does an extremely quick rewrap of the file, so it really doesn't count as a transcode.

In vegas and edius you obviously don't even need a plugin which is pretty sweet.

Richard Hunter October 31st, 2008 05:34 PM

Hi Evan. That's great, thanks for the clarification!

Richard

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 1st, 2008 11:29 AM

Hi, is there a way to attach this unit on the rear bracket of an XLH1 ?

Daan van Bergen November 5th, 2008 03:33 AM

Struggling with the HVR-MRC1K and XH-A1

Hello,

I bought the HVR-MRC1K in the Netherlands and trying to get the rec-button synct.
I can't get it to work.

When I connect the Firewire cable to the camera, the recorder thinks, It's connected to a computer (You see in the screen CF---Computer).

- I changed menu : 'settings-camlink select' to 'follow' and 'synchro',
- I tried with CamLink on and off
- I tried normal camera-settings M, Auto, and Ext . Control...

The only way It seems to work a bit is if :
- I set the camera to M
- Set Cam Link (button) : ON
- Set menu : setttings-camlink select' to 'synchro'
- Connect Fire Wire
- Go to menu and choose DV-PAL (I do'n't use HDV)

Then, When I push the record button on the camera, I see a red light on the recorder and a attemp to start.

I have the feeling I m nearby.. Anybody have experiences ??

Rgds, Daan

Evan C. King November 5th, 2008 12:10 PM

Daan in the XH-A1's menu go "System Setup --> DV Control ON" then the recorder will not see the A1 as a computer

Bob Thompson November 5th, 2008 01:15 PM

Daan,

When you get the unit up and running could you please try simultaneously shooting HDV to tape and SD to CF, to see if there are any problems.

I would also love to know if the record to 14 second cache works.

Thanks

Bob