Awesome news for canon users - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old January 28th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #301
Major Player

Clipwrap

Michael,

Does clipwrap eliminate the dropped audio & video frames between footage longer than the 4gb file limit?
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #302
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
How about getting a handle bracket and mounting it to that.
this way the weight is centered on the center of the camera and not the front.

The only downside for A1 users is that teh transport controls are on the handle.
Thought about that. I have used the transport controls once. I suppose I could carry the remote in my back pocket. hehe
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #303
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Schwartz View Post
Michael,

Does clipwrap eliminate the dropped audio & video frames between footage longer than the 4gb file limit?
Yes. Besides rewraping the file in a QT wrapper, ClipWrap also Automatically recombines spanned files.

So you can combine multiple files into one seamless file.
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #304
Major Player

I decided to go with the 100 gig Canon Firestore Drive. I will use this on my A cam which has a mixer and sound recorder on it anyways, I just want to eliminate the need to run tapes.

I am hoping that this unit does allow for both digital and tape recording at the same time. If not will return it for the other option.
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #305
Major Player

Clipwrap

Michael,

Have you tried combining files longer than the 4gb max and checked to see if there are any drops? This is the only thing holding me back from purchasing this unit.
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #306
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
I am hoping that this unit does allow for both digital and tape recording at the same time. If not will return it for the other option.
Denny, if you are talking about the FireStore "FSC" , then yes, you can record with out tapes in the A1.
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #307
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cook View Post
Denny, if you are talking about the FireStore "FSC" , then yes, you can record with out tapes in the A1.
Can you also record with both, tapes and the FSC ?
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #308
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
Can you also record with both, tapes and the FSC ?
Yes. no problems with both, tapes and the FSC. I don't use tapes anymore, but some do as a back up.
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #309
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cook View Post
Yes. no problems with both, tapes and the FSC. I don't use tapes anymore, but some do as a back up.

Thanks Rob, how do you like the FSC, I really would love the CF method but I get my share of Catholic Mass Weddings that last an hour, and worry about dropped frames in footage lasting more than an hour.
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #310
Regular Crew

Cineform users with the Sony mrc1

Someone uses both Cineform ProspectHD and this gadget? With what result?
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #311
Trustee

Hi Hernan,

I use the Sony with CineForm NeoHDV with no problems. The files come off of the CF cards as if you took them off the tape via firewire.

Garret
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #312
Regular Crew

so close to sending it back..

I've tried everything I can think of since getting the MRC1K to make my A1 see it but nothing works. Different cables, everything advised to others on this thread, but it just doesn't see it, and I can't get into the iLink menu on the unit which seems to me like it can't see the A1 at all (it's greyed out).

I'm starting to think it might be the A1's firewire socket as I've seen many problems written about it on the net. I tried to dig in some footage to a MacBook Pro and it couldn't see it either so I'll try it with my Mac Pro tomorrow to see if it definitely is the socket.

I used the unit with a Canon HV10 and HV20 no problem but you don't get the 'synchro' control from the camera's stop/start button (is that right?). Just recording with the 2 REC buttons on the unit seems to work well so I'm assuming the unit is working???

Any advice greatly welcomed.

Thanks.
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #313
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Hi Hernan,

I use the Sony with CineForm NeoHDV with no problems. The files come off of the CF cards as if you took them off the tape via firewire.

Garret
Thanks Garrett! But then i suppose u have to transcode the M2T files to Cineformīs AVIs by HDLink.

1. How much time does that process take, letīs say for 1 hour of footage?

2. Is the final quality of the converted clips the same than capturing from tape to Cineform (as i do with Premiere)?
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #314
Trustee

Hi Hernan,

You are correct. Once I've copied the files I use HDLink to transcode into CineForm AVI's. The time it takes to transcode will of course depend on your machine but I'm using a Q9450 based machine and it goes pretty fast. I don't remember exactly how long it takes but it is faster than real time. The quality is exactly the same as capture from take and in fact I prefer to use HDLink as it allows me to set up batch transcoding.

I have to say that I'm really happy with the unit and how it has streamlined my workflow. I recently shot a first birthday party and within an hour of the end of the party I had a video edited and burned.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #315
Major Player

Can someone please check this...

Can someone with the Sony unit please check to see if you record for extended periods of time, are there dropped frames or audio when you combine the clips with clipwrap? Thank you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders