DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/)
-   -   Awesome news for canon users (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/116520-awesome-news-canon-users.html)

Evan C. King March 7th, 2008 05:13 PM

Awesome news for canon users

Today at work I tried the memory card recording unit that ships with the Z7U on my canon A1 and it works perfectly! At every frame rate! Tapeless to compact flash was so awesome to use, you have no idea how happy I am.

I never for the life of me thought it would be Sony that delievered the perfect solution for tapeless capture to people that already owned cameras. I played back the footage in both mpeg streamclip and VLC and it was glorious.
The sony rep told me the HVR-MRC1 is gonna be available for sale (in canada) in a couple of months. I have no idea what the price is gonna be but I can't wait to buy it.

The only thing is obivously you need the a sony L battery to power it, but what the hell, beats buying a new cam.

Richard Gooderick March 7th, 2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan C. King (Post 838959)
Today at work I tried the memory card recording unit that ships with the Z7U on my canon A1 and it works perfectly! At every frame rate! Tapeless to compact flash was so awesome to use, you have no idea how happy I am.

I know I am being thick but would you mind explaining a little bit more about what this is eg will bolt onto the A1, what capacity does it have and how much does the media cost.

Actually, why are you so excited about it. Am I missing something?

Meryem Ersoz March 7th, 2008 05:51 PM

that's nice, did you happen to hear a price on the standalone unit...affordability would make it even nicer!

tapeless to CF in a portable form factor is very good news indeed....

James Jackson March 7th, 2008 06:04 PM

Upon doing some research, the only HDV format will be M2T which sucks for us Mac users.
http://www.dvwonline.com/content/view/615/646/
(See bottom of page)

Richard Hunter March 7th, 2008 06:26 PM

Thanks for the news Evan. Saw that CF recorder last week and am very interested in it. Do you have to start and stop it manually, or does it sync to the XH-A1 record button?

Richard

Greg Boston March 7th, 2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Jackson (Post 838977)
Upon doing some research, the only HDV format will be M2T which sucks for us Mac users.
http://www.dvwonline.com/content/view/615/646/
(See bottom of page)

Exactly why is the M2T file format a problem for Mac users?

-gb-

Even Solberg March 8th, 2008 05:18 AM

I too find this very interesting. If it's affordable, I'm probably going to get one. Now I'll need to stack up on 16 GB CF cards too. Oh, well. I can use them for my photography too. Wonder if it can handle larger capacities than 16 GB?

Dirk Bouwen March 8th, 2008 07:02 AM

Going solid state has also a lot of disadvantages.

When filming on tape, you've got the perfect back-up, for once and forever. Whatever goes wrong during you're editing process, the tape is still there as fall back. Even AFTER YEARS !!!

It may be more expensive, but I still prefer to have "hard media" in place instead of files, wandering around on systems. One glitch destroys them all.

In a purely digital workflow, you have to rely on the back-ups of your system. Assuming you make them frequently - any back-up ANY backup might bring you something back you didn't expect.

Even tapeless, you're not going to work for free...how much is your Sont device costing? One high-spec 16GB card? How many will you need of them, to be safe?

Jerome Cloninger March 8th, 2008 11:19 AM

You just made my day Evan! I wonder when and how much this unit will be available and go for.

James Jackson March 8th, 2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 838997)
Exactly why is the M2T file format a problem for Mac users?

-gb-

FCP doesn't recognize M2T format. That's Premier.

Bill Busby March 8th, 2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Jackson (Post 839233)
FCP doesn't recognize M2T format. That's Premier.

I'm not a FCP user, so what do I know? :) But you might be able to either simply rename a m2t file to mpg... or use something like Streamclip to convert to a QT file or whatever.

David Heath March 8th, 2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirk Bouwen (Post 839140)
Going solid state has also a lot of disadvantages.

When filming on tape, you've got the perfect back-up, for once and forever.

True enough if the choice is one or the other.

But what sets using this device apart from such as an HVX200 or an EX1 is that you can have your cake and eat it, it's solid state (and cheap Compact Flash at that) *AND* tape recording at the same time. The tapeless recording may be much easier download and work with, the tape it's backup and archive for no extra work.

Alessandro Garabaghi March 8th, 2008 06:49 PM

Can something like that be purchased seperatly? Or is it only included in the kit?

Mike Quinones March 8th, 2008 08:39 PM

Hey Guys
If this can be purchase separately from the camera and the price is reasonable I be lining up to buy one too.

Alessandro Garabaghi March 8th, 2008 08:42 PM

How did you connect it to the canon? Via Firewire?

Also what would happen if you call sony and asked to purchase the unit (as if u broke or lost your)