SONY HVR-MRC1K CF Recorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old November 26th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Snyder View Post
Ok, so I have had a little time with this recorder and I haven't had the opportunity to put it through a real world test as of yet. But I got a good handle on what it can and can't do.

OPERATION
One interesting side note and a little concerning. You cannot record from the camera to the unit using camera control without a tape. Or at least I haven't found the way to do it yet. You can however record without a tape in the unit by pressing the record buttons on the unit. Not a big deal, however, I can see why I would want to use the camera controls in the field, much easier to hit record on the camera instead of pressing the two very small record buttons on the unit. I have figured out how to press the two buttons with one thumb, but it would still be easier using the camera.
Tim, one question.
You mentioned that yo can use the MRC1 without tape in the camera, by just pushing record on the unit itself and not rely on the camera.

But what if you use tape.
Does the unit continue to run when you stop your recorder.
This means more to me in for times that I am making a tape change and was hoping that the MRC1 would not pause or stop while I was making the tape change.

I don't shoot with a Z1, but rather FX1's, but the overall menu setup and all are pretty much the same. Someone mentioned to me before in regards to the hard drive that Sony sells, that it will pause when you are making tape changes and not continue to record.

I guess that you could just shoot with the MRC1 and no tape, but I like the idea of using the CF files for instant editing and tape for backup and archival.
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #17
Regular Crew

The unit continues to work during tape changes without issue. There are some settings you need to make on the unit to make this possible, but all very simple.

The unit works independent or in conjunction with the tape. No worries there.

It works with the external camera control feature. The camera will send a signal to the device when there is 5 minutes left on the tape then the device will begin recording allowing you to change tapes. Once the tape change is complete, the unit will stop. Or it will stop when you press stop on the camcorder or unit itself.

Last edited by Tim Snyder; November 26th, 2008 at 12:39 PM.
Tim Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #18
Trustee

That's great news.

I had been waiting for Sony to release this unit.

Now if only 64GB CF cards would start coming to market.
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I ordered a firewire transfer device, crushproof and waterproof case along with (4) 16GB cards for $344 with shipping.

On one camera last year I used over 100 tapes on (1) project. Over the course of lifespan of the CF cards I can see how I would save a ton of money on tape. Considering that tape cost me $400. So even if I have to replace the Cf cards every 100 tapes worth I am still ahead when think about it in terms of:

- Less Threading and Tape hours on the cameras and decks used to play the tape back.
- More time working and editing and less time logging and capturing.
- instant editing of clips if need be

Just in those things right there, you will save a ton of time, thereby saving money. So the return on investment for a unit like this (doesn't have to be sony) is ten fold.
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
That's great news.

I had been waiting for Sony to release this unit.

Now if only 64GB CF cards would start coming to market.
Ah, in due time. 256 was just referenced from Samsung last week and Protec is (actually was) supposed to have 64 and 96 G available by the end of the year...guess the latter never happened, though.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:34 AM   #21
Tourist

MRC1K compatibility

[QUOTE=Tim Snyder;969234]

"WHATS IN THE BOX?
The unit comes complete with recording unit and docking station along with a firewire cable and mounting hardware for any camera with a cold shoe."

It has been difficult to get information on the compatibility of the MRC1K with other Sony cameras. A SONY rep told me on the phone last Friday, this CF unit was for professional cameras only.

From what you have seen of the MRC1K, would "any camera with a cold shoe" include the Sony HDR-FX1000? Does the mounting hardware look like its "universal", i.e. if it mounts on a cold shoe, could it be used to "salvage" an old Sony DCR-VX2000 with a broken tape mechanism (cleaning & alignment did not fix severe dropout problems)? Basis for my questions: I tested a Sony SR11 because it's tapeless & HD but returned it to the store because its color fidelity is not as good as that from my old 3CCD VX2K. I am considering the FX1000 now but am worried about the reliability of the miniDV tape medium/mechanism due to the problems I had with the VX2K. If the tape acted up again, at least the recording would be preserved on the CF.
Bernd Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:09 PM   #22
New Boot

I thought I read somewhere that you need to convert the file when you load it to your comp. If so what software are you guys using?
Also I was wondering if anyone new how to get it to record from the cam controls with out using a tape too?
thanks
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:13 PM   #23
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Bernd Conrad;970958]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Snyder View Post

"WHATS IN THE BOX?
The unit comes complete with recording unit and docking station along with a firewire cable and mounting hardware for any camera with a cold shoe."

It has been difficult to get information on the compatibility of the MRC1K with other Sony cameras. A SONY rep told me on the phone last Friday, this CF unit was for professional cameras only.

From what you have seen of the MRC1K, would "any camera with a cold shoe" include the Sony HDR-FX1000? Does the mounting hardware look like its "universal", i.e. if it mounts on a cold shoe, could it be used to "salvage" an old Sony DCR-VX2000 with a broken tape mechanism (cleaning & alignment did not fix severe dropout problems)? Basis for my questions: I tested a Sony SR11 because it's tapeless & HD but returned it to the store because its color fidelity is not as good as that from my old 3CCD VX2K. I am considering the FX1000 now but am worried about the reliability of the miniDV tape medium/mechanism due to the problems I had with the VX2K. If the tape acted up again, at least the recording would be preserved on the CF.
The cold shoe device is simple. It will work with any standard cold shoe mount. It also has a screw that can be used in conjunction with the Z1U (on the top of the internal microphone) and I would assume any other camera with this thread size. IT also fits in the Z1U provided shoe mount. So it seems pretty versatile in mounting options. I have considered mounting this device on a bracket1 adaptor, however, when I received the device it was small enough to mounted on camera without worry of weighing the camera down or hurting the camera in some way.

I hope this helps.
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Had a friend bring by his Panasonic HVX. The Sony recorder worked like a champ in every way expected. It obviously did not record the 720 signal, but DV and HD 1080i/p worked great.

Just wanted to give an update.
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #25
New Boot

For those asking about using camera record controls with the MRCK1 and with no tape. It works just fine for my A1. I just followed the instructions posted by Evan on this page:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...-users-10.html

...about half way down the page.

Whether you have to convert the files depends on the editing system you are using. Adobe Premiere reads native .m2t files so it's no problem. However, I have read that FCP does not, but there is a converter located on Sony's website to correct this problem.

The hotshoe mount is not camera specific. It will fit into any hotshoe.

From my understanding, the MRCK1 is compatible with just about any camera with a firewire port -- though, as Tim stated, it does not record the 720 signal.
Tiffany McMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 11:48 AM   #26
New Boot

Sony HVR-MCA1

So Tim,

When I import the files to my HD in Dv or Raw format my final cut pro 5 suite sees the video and plays fine but I get the Beep Beep Beep in the audio track. I see the waveform and the file plays fine in QT AND the preview window....

any clue as to what's goi on or do I just need to install FCS 2...?
Marc Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #27
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Brewer View Post
So Tim,

When I import the files to my HD in Dv or Raw format my final cut pro 5 suite sees the video and plays fine but I get the Beep Beep Beep in the audio track. I see the waveform and the file plays fine in QT AND the preview window....

any clue as to what's goi on or do I just need to install FCS 2...?
Hi,
http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f..._Workflows.pdf

You need to install a plug-in into your FCP(6.0.2+) in order to import HDV/DV files from your CF card.

FCP can not import M2T HDV files without this plug-in.
For DV files (AVI or Raw), "Beep Beep Beep" never occurs if you use this plug-in !!
Kenny Pai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd Conrad View Post
...From what you have seen of the MRC1K, would "any camera with a cold shoe" include the Sony HDR-FX1000? ...
According to B&H it is compatible with the FX1000 see the vid link below, then click on the window marked "Sony HVR-Z5U/HDR-FX1000 3-CMOS Pro HDV Camcorders. Toward the end of the vid they deal directly with the MRC1K.

http://www.video.bhphotovideo.com/
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:02 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Martin View Post
I thought I read somewhere that you need to convert the file when you load it to your comp. If so what software are you guys using?
Also I was wondering if anyone new how to get it to record from the cam controls with out using a tape too?
thanks
It probably depends on the camera itself. In the manual for the Z5 (on page 86) it explains how to record to an external device only (including the MRC1K), with or without a tape in the camera. So the simple answer is: Yes, the unit is capable of recording using the camera controls with no tape in the camera *IF* the camera also supports that mode of operation.
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #30
Major Player

I am seriously considering the purchase of this recorder and I am wondering if any of you have updates on your experience with this unit, specific CF media experience, trying to get a feel for how much of an investment it really is. Have the cards been reliable? Did you have to go for the more expensive 300x-306x 16GB cards like the SONY brand cards currently $280-399 or have you been able to get good results from 133x 16 GB Kingston cards, currently 34.95? For my purposes, I will be recording 2 cameras 3-5 hrs so we are talking 2 units and 6-10 cards and that could add up to a ridiculous cost if only the faster cards are reliable. What about long form recording, I have seen several threads with people discussing issues stitching the files back together for Vegas...

So what do you guys think of your MRC1 and media?

Thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders