HVR MRC1 and a 32GB card? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old October 12th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Couple of other threads on this... if you put the Kingstons into the Mac you may have killed them permanently.

I have a couple that I put into the MRC and it showed up as already formatted.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #17
New Boot

I searched, but cannot find such threads.

I guess these are toast, then. I'll send them back.

Any recommended brand of 32GB CF card that I *can* format with the MRC1? At this point I'm willing to pay a premium just so I can get this working. Transcend?
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #18
Trustee

I use the Transcend with no issues, "knock on wood".

However, after much reading I came to the conclusion to either not format the card at all and simply put in the MRC1K and run as usual, which I have done with three 32GB Transcend cards. Or, to format the card in the MRC1K only and not in your computer. The MRC1K manual even says this.

BTW, I am using the MRC1K with Sony FX1 cameras.
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #19
New Boot

Thanks, Michael. I read the manual and these forums, so I tried formatting the card with the MRU first. That failed, which is why I tried my Mac.

Have you tried formatting the Transcend cards on the MRU? Thanks!
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #20
Trustee

Chris sorry, as I said I have never formatted the Transcend cards.
And they have functioned fine with the MRC1K.

As for card reading, I simply use an external card reader, SanDisk I believe.
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #21
New Boot

Ok, so it sounds like you might run into the same problem with the Transcend as I did with the Kingston. Guess the general rule here is to just never format these 32GB cards with the MRU or your computer unless you want to render them useless!
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #22
Inner Circle

My mistake... the Mac killing cards issue was with Transcends. The Kingstons just suffered from bad batches and unreliability, as described in these threads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...ease-read.html

and

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...eopard-os.html

Sorry to add to the FUD.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #23
New Boot

I think I'm giving up on the sporadic behavior of the 32GB cards and will just return these and get a bunch of 16GBs instead. I don't want to run the risk of someone else (other than me) accidentally formatting a card and thus rendering the card useless. If anyone has had good luck with a 32GB card (including formatting it on the MRU), I'd still love to hear about it.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:54 PM   #24
Major Player

I'll pay the price for my SanDisk Ultras IIIs and IVs. I've never been fond of Transcend anyhow, but I'm a little surprised by the reports of issues with the Kingstons. Aren't they supposed to be a top RAM manufacturer? Anyhow, I've never had an issue with a SanDisk product. I'm using the 32GB cards quite successfully.

Anyhow, I see a lot of people talking about Kingstons and Transcends and problems, and I haven't seen SanDisk mentioned in the same context, plus I've used SanDisk products before in other applications. Therefore, I was much more comfortable buying the SanDisk.

Must my $0.02. US.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #25
Major Player

Had the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Duke View Post
Ok, so it sounds like you might run into the same problem with the Transcend as I did with the Kingston. Guess the general rule here is to just never format these 32GB cards with the MRU or your computer unless you want to render them useless!
I recently picked up a used MRC1K through the classifieds here and got three Kingston 32GB 266x Ultimate cards to go with it. I recorded successfully on the first card and then went to format the card in the Sony unit. I had the same problem as others with the unit displayed "Format" forever without completing the task. Reinserting the card just gave me an error message. Format on the mac was NG and I was about to send the cards back to Kingston when I plugged the cards into my iMac running Parallels and fired up Windows xp. I don't believe the card and reader (Lexar FW) were recognized but when I put the card back into the MRC1K, it formatted fine and seems to be OK. I will be taking it out for a shoot this weekend and will report back.

Dunno, maybe a fluke or a workaround for the formatting problems......
Old November 21st, 2009, 08:55 PM   #26
Regular Crew

After being steered into the direction of getting the Transcend card I got the 32g one which gave me no problems when put into my MRC. When it was full I formated it in the MRC after downloading all of the video and have had no problems with it.

I have since erased the video from that card after downloading it because of other threads stating this was the way to go, and still have not had any problems.

I now own a second 32g Transcend which has only been erased after downloads with no problems to report. So, I have nothing but good things to report on my 32g Transcend cards.

Melvin
Melvin Baggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #27
Major Player

Ridata 32Mb Cards

Just received a "Black Friday" email from newegg.com and they have 32gb Ridata "lightning series" 233x Compact flash cards for $85.99 each plus free shipping.
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Add my voice to those who have had issues with the Kingston 32 GBs. Four out of seven, tested on four different MRC1ks, showed up as DOA. One would not format (hanging on the same FORMAT forever issue described above) and three showed the A:12 error on the MRC (not fast enough). So back to Amazon they went today.

On the plus side, one retailer has a really good deal on the Sandisk Extreme III 32GB three-pack, $459, and then there's a $200 Sandisk rebate. After another 3% cashback from Bing, that works out to less than $82 per card to my door -- less than the Kingstons.

I have had no issues with the one Transcend card I use.
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I've had no problems with any of my Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/s 32GB or 16GB CF cards (or SDHC cards).
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Looking into getting a 32gig card. Any new info? Good/Bad/Indifferent?

What sort of recording time are you getting on the 32 gig cards?

The two 16 gig Kingston 266x are working fine - but I'd like to record double that time if possible without changing cards.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders