MRC1: malfunction or operator error? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old March 18th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #16
Major Player

Stelios, I doubt that is an issue. I have multiple PC's. But the problems seem to be "in camera" and not related to a computer. Virtually all of the testing I did yesterday was entirely in the camera, I didn't even put it in a PC.

I have even hooked the MRC1 up to another camcorder via firewire. When I did that, sometimes it worked fine, sometimes it would have problems. The only pattern is that there is no pattern, at least that I have found.

When I first got the camera I would occasionally format the CF cards in one of the PC's and I didn't have any problems. Then the problems started. Adam pointed out to me that you were supposed to only format in the MRC1. I started formatting in the MRC1 and it worked fine a couple of times. I was happy to have found the problem. Unfortunately, it probably wasn't the problem since I soon started having issues again. I have never formatted in the PC since then, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

My CF cards get pretty hot while recording and I am beginning to wonder if there is a bad solder joint in the MRC1 that starts to cause problems when the MRC1 gets warm. Ironically, I have been able to record 60+ minute programs with no problems, so there is still no real pattern.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #17
Trustee

Greg, then the only route left then is to call Sony support. It is under guarantee isn't it?

Stelios
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Greg, then the only route left then is to call Sony support. It is under guarantee isn't it?

Stelios
No warranty. Second owner..... Sony only warrants it to the original owner.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:51 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Laves View Post
No warranty. Second owner..... Sony only warrants it to the original owner.
OK but you can still take it and give you a quote to fix it. That's what I would do. Then you will know if the unit is faulty.

Stelios
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:44 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
OK but you can still take it and give you a quote to fix it. That's what I would do. Then you will know if the unit is faulty.

Stelios
Yup. I keep debating over this and hope that I will find out what that one little thing I might be doing that could be causing the problem, but so far, I haven't had success. The problem with sending it to Sony service is that they will charge for looking at it, even if they don't find a problem. And it is something like $250US just to look at it. I think the MRC1 is trying to drive me crazy. It seems like it is more likely to experience a problem if it is a customer pay job. It usually works fine for freebies.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM   #21
Major Player

Greg, by any chance are you using the firewire from the MRC-1 to your computer? I remember a post where someone did something to their unit by using it that way. You may need a CF Reader. Also, you may have purchased a faulty unit.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:24 PM   #22
Major Player

Never mind. I think it was something you posted.
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I don't know what CF cards you are using but there is always the possibility it's the cards...
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #24
Major Player

I have a Sony 300x 8gig, 2 - Transcend 300x 16gig and a Sandisk Ultra III 8gig. Unfortunately, at one time or another, I have been able to have problems on all of the cards. It is a very frustrating situation because there is absolutely no pattern of malfunction that I can find. They have all worked just great numerous times when I am testing. And my testing has been done to simulate real world contintions. I will record some long duration programs and I will record lot of short duration test footage and I have even mixed both long and short duration recordings at the same time without turning the camera off. I hate to just keep piling up more hours on the equipment, in order to test. I know I have joked about it before but it seems to be more likely to have a problem when it is a customer pay shoot. Now I fully aware that there is no way that the camera can tell what it is being used for, but it does seem like it sometimes. I am beginning to come to the conclusion that there might be a bad solder joint or something in the MRC1 that looses contact intermitantly and in an unpredictable manner, so there is no pattern.
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #25
Major Player

Greg, have you resolved this issue? I am having the exact same problem. I didn't notice it before because nobody was speaking at that point. It's as if the audio is missing prior to ending the clip. I tried the Sony utility & that did squat. I don't think the joining of the clips is the problem. I am not even missing a frame from the video so rejoining the clips would make no difference.
Old April 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #26
Major Player

Not yet, unfortunately. Too many other distractions going on right now to do any testing.
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #27
Major Player

What has happened to this problem? Any resolution?
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #28
Major Player

As a matter of fact, $600 later the problem has been resolved. I sent it to Sony service and a board had to be replaced. I just got it back and got to test it last Friday night and it worked great. Sony did not comment on the cause of the failure but they did send back an "Important Sony i.LINK Installation Information" letter which pointed out that firewire components can be damaged by incorrect installation of firewire cableing. The Reader's Digest version is to turn off both components when connecting units via firewire cable.
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Laves View Post
...The Reader's Digest version is to turn off both components when connecting units via firewire cable.
What I do Greg is to connect the firewire cable first onto the MRC1 and then switch it ON. When I finish downloading I switch it OFF first and then unplug the firewire cable. I always have the other side of this cable connected to my PC permanently. Touch wood, so far I never had any problem with this unit.

Stelios

Last edited by Stelios Christofides; October 5th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
Stelios Christofides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #30
Major Player

Stelios, Sony says to turn the computer off as well as the firewire device. If either is hot, you can do damage. Although they didn't specifically say it, I think it primarily occurs if you try to plug in a 6 pin firewire upside down in relation to the socket.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders