HVR-MRC1K on Ebay at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old May 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HVR-MRC1K on Ebay

I just picked up a used one on Ebay for $535 (including shipping).

Heck of a lot to pay for a CF reader/writer with some buttons and a LCD, but still a lot better than the $940 list price or the $820 B&H price. I haven't ordered from eBay for quite some time due to some horror stories from friends, but I'm hoping this works out O.K.

Last edited by Bill Ackerman; May 28th, 2009 at 08:13 PM.
Bill Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

HVR-MRC1K arrived

The unit arrived today. Although not in the original packaging, it seems probable that it has never been used. I'm guessing that the seller picked up a few of these in Asia and removed them from the boxes for easier packing and perhaps less scrutiny from U.S. Customs. The HVR-MRC1K was listed as "used" probably to avoid any warranty issues regarding a gray-market product. But it came in perfect condition with all parts and the seller was extremely responsive.

At any rate, I have been playing with it all day on my Z5 and couldn't be more pleased. It is so well integrated with the Z5 and makes workflow soooooo much easier, Sony really should have bundled it with the Z5 like they did for the Z7. Sony probably wanted to target a lower price point, which was good for them in my case since the Z5 was at the very top limit of my budget.

My only regret is that I didn't get the HVR-MRC1K sooner.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks for the report Bill. As I narrow down a long-term camera strategy it is good to know the unit works well, as I may venture down the road of the Z5 or Z7.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ackerman View Post
I just picked up a used one on Ebay for $535 (including shipping).

Heck of a lot to pay for a CF reader/writer with some buttons and a LCD, but still a lot better than the $940 list price or the $820 B&H price. I haven't ordered from eBay for quite some time due to some horror stories from friends, but I'm hoping this works out O.K.
Hope it all works out & you don't have any gray market night mares. In my opinion the CF recorder is a little pricey, but a great deal for what you get. Take a look at any of the drives people put onto a HVX, none of those are cheap either and personally I will always take removable media over a hard drive.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, Zack. It is only Day 2 of my HVR-MRC1 adventures, but I would find it very hard to go back to tape only. I'm certainly in the tiny minority here who use Adobe Premiere Pro, but importing HDV tape has been a PITA for me. Now, I just pop the CF card into a card reader and it is instantly available to Premiere Pro. No need to copy anything anywhere (and I have the tape backup). I can preview directly from the card, set my IN/OUT points, and drag them to the timeline. No rendering. So far I've been using relatively small HD clips (<5 min), but all of these actions seem to be almost instantaneous. The fact that I'm using UDMA (300x) cards on a Firewire 800 reader may be a factor.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Bill, did you know about the file size limit? If you record anything over about 20 minutes, the file will be split up into 20 minute clips. You can us the free Sony utility when you're downloading to stitch the clips together.

I did a comparision and recorded 60 minutes on tape and the same on the CF card.

The Card split the 60 minutes into 3 files. If you load these files in individually and place them on the timeline, over the 60 minute tape, you'll find (in my test anyway) that there is a 4-6 frame gap at the beginning of clips 2 and 3.

If you use the Sony utility, it joins all the clips together and they are all in sync, with no gaps between clips.

Just thought I'd mention it if you didn't already know. The utility should be on the CD which came with the recorder, or search on t'internet.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D. Parker View Post
Bill, did you know about the file size limit? If you record anything over about 20 minutes, the file will be split up into 20 minute clips. You can us the free Sony utility when you're downloading to stitch the clips together.

I did a comparision and recorded 60 minutes on tape and the same on the CF card.

The Card split the 60 minutes into 3 files. If you load these files in individually and place them on the timeline, over the 60 minute tape, you'll find (in my test anyway) that there is a 4-6 frame gap at the beginning of clips 2 and 3.

If you use the Sony utility, it joins all the clips together and they are all in sync, with no gaps between clips.

Just thought I'd mention it if you didn't already know. The utility should be on the CD which came with the recorder, or search on t'internet.

Peter
This is only valid for PC, on a recent Mac I logged and transferred a completely full 16 gb card (72 minutes in one clip) and it went on the timeline as one clip without any problem.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:27 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Here are the results of test I just ran to fill the card:

- 8GB CF card 300x UDMA
- formatted on HVR-MRC1 as FAT32
- 37 minutes of 30P HDV footage
- 2 clips: 3.97GB and 3.61GB
- On Apple Mac Pro: time to copy the two clips (7.58GB) from CF card to hard disk using FireWire 800 reader: 3 minutes 8 seconds
- Time for Premiere Pro 4.10 to add these clips to project: 4 seconds
- After dragging both clips to timeline, was not able to detect any lost frames at join point.

Luc, I am curious about you getting a single clip. How exactly did you format the card?

Bill
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

For fun, I timed copying the 2 clips from different devices to my hard disk:

USB 2.0 slot: 12 min 53 seconds.
HVR-MRC1 i.Link cradle connected to FireWire 800 port: 3 min 50 seconds
FireWire 800 CF card reader: 3 min 8 seconds

Not real rigorous since other tasks running at the same time would affect performance.

Bill
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Here are the results of test I just ran to fill the card:

Luc, I am curious about you getting a single clip. How exactly did you format the card?

Bill
I think this has to do with the FCP plugin.
I also get it imported as one seamless file. But when I look on the card itself it are 3 seperate files. The Sony Utility which came with the MRC-1k for the Mac is the only thing I had installed, then I do a Log and Transfer.
When I clipwrap it, it will be 3 seperate files tho.
Boudewijn de Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:

Bill
Well, Bill, I always format my cards in the MRC-1 and I never installed the software that came with it. I did install the Sony plug-in for FCP though. Works flawlessly as 1 big file, even if it's more than an hour long. Next time I'll check how the original looks like on the card.
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
I never installed the software that came with it. I did install the Sony plug-in for FCP though.
The MRC1 only formats in FAT32 which only supports files up to 4GB. I tried formatting the card on my Mac as a Mac OS Extended drive and, as expected, the MRC1 did not recognize it.

The utility software that comes with the unit is only for Windows. It seems clear that the plug-in for FCP makes the multiple files transparent. Since I don't use FCP, I have to combine the two files in Premiere Pro which takes all of one second.

I'm still loving this little device. I take back what I said in the original post about it being just a CF card reader/writer. I hooked it up with the included iLink dock/battery to my little HDV consumer camcorder (Sony HDR-HC7) via firewire and it worked perfectly to record to CF while both filming or playback.

Tapeless workflow is definitely the way to go.
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #13
Major Player

For Mac-users, the FCP-plugin is needed anyway to be able to use the 'log & transfer' feature. For Final Cut Express, there is no such plug-in and those who want to work tapeles have to use Clipwrap to 'wrap' the m2t files into something that FCE recognises.

I also find this unit a little marvel, that speeds up the workflow dramatically: no camera to connect, no lengthy capturing,... beautiful.
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #14
Major Player

Let me ask you guys - how will the recorder work with FX1000 via iLink? Will the camera control the data flow? Do I have to press record on both camera and recorder, or it's all integrated?
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #15
Regular Crew

k, just go one for my fx1000. You only have to press record on the camera and the mrc1 will start up at the same time. Pretty cool if you ask me.
Ron Wilber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders