CF Card Won't Mount Without Restart at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old June 12th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #1
New Boot

CF Card Won't Mount Without Restart

Hi everyone,

I've been recording simultaneously to tape and the CF card, trying to get into a steady workflow with my z7.

I've downloaded the Sony FCP plug-in and have been able to transfer the clips from my CF card to my Mac.

The only problem is that I cannot get the CF card to mount on my computer unless I restart the computer itself.

So, for instance, I can't just have my computer on and then plug the Memory Recording Unit via Firewire and have it show up when I open FCP>Log & Transfer. I have to restart the computer first, while the Recording Unit is attached--only then can I see the CF.

This is a pain when I have to log and transfer from more than one card because I have to quit FCP, and restart the computer once I want to log and transfer from a new card in the same session.

Is this normal? Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

I have tried using two different Firewire cables I have but they do the same...Wondering if it may have to do with having external hard-drives attached...?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Raul
New York, NY

Last edited by Raul Barcelona; June 12th, 2009 at 11:48 PM.
Raul Barcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't use FCP but I shot some stuff on my MRC1 for another guy. We didn't use the MRC1 for playback. He had a little card reader that was plugged into a USB port, I think. He didn't have to shut down anything or restart anything. It worked just like you would expect. Perfectly.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Barcelona View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been recording simultaneously to tape and the CF card, trying to get into a steady workflow with my z7.

I've downloaded the Sony FCP plug-in and have been able to transfer the clips from my CF card to my Mac.

The only problem is that I cannot get the CF card to mount on my computer unless I restart the computer itself.

So, for instance, I can't just have my computer on and then plug the Memory Recording Unit via Firewire and have it show up when I open FCP>Log & Transfer. I have to restart the computer first, while the Recording Unit is attached--only then can I see the CF.

This is a pain when I have to log and transfer from more than one card because I have to quit FCP, and restart the computer once I want to log and transfer from a new card in the same session.

Is this normal? Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

I have tried using two different Firewire cables I have but they do the same...Wondering if it may have to do with having external hard-drives attached...?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Raul
New York, NY
You don't need to use the MRC1 unit to get the clips. You can just drop your CF card in to the CF card reader on the computer. If the computer does not have one you can buy a CF reader for around $15. It does not solve your issue but may take care of your problem. Firewire can also damage the unit if connected incorrectly.
Keith Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #4
New Boot

Thank you guys!

It sounds like I should indeed invest in a CF reader rather than sticking with the MRC to log and transfer the clips. $15 seems reasonable enough to get around the problem of the MRC not mounting without restart.

If I do figure out why it won't mount without the restart I'll let you know, though!

So far no luck...

Raul
Old June 16th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #5
Trustee

You could do one better and get a firewire 800 CF reader, this is the one that I use:
SanDisk | Products | Accessories | SanDisk ExtremeŽ Readers
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the recommendation, Gary. The card readers that go for $15 or so at B&H don't have very good reviews and was looking at the Firewire ones. Firewire 800 would be the optimal in terms of time-saving speed.

I'm still wondering if others find that logging and transferring from the Memory Recording Unit is a very unstable process... I'm pretty appalled at how unstable it is in terms of its functionality when it comes to logging and transferring clips from the card to the computer.

I was reading that somebody else was experiencing things such as opening the log and transfer window and not seeing anything for a minute or so, nor any indication that indeed FCP is seeing the card or trying to read from it... I definitely have the same experience...

Anyway, in any case, seeking a card reader, like the one recommended by Gary should do the trick. I think perhaps I was expecting too much from the gear that came with the camera!

Thanks again all for your help!

Raul
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Barcelona View Post
I'm still wondering if others find that logging and transferring from the Memory Recording Unit is a very unstable process... I'm pretty appalled at how unstable it is in terms of its functionality when it comes to logging and transferring clips from the card to the computer.

I was reading that somebody else was experiencing things such as opening the log and transfer window and not seeing anything for a minute or so, nor any indication that indeed FCP is seeing the card or trying to read from it... I definitely have the same experience...
I have the same troubles also, but what helps for me is putting the MRC1k in HDV mode and then back to Drive mode. Then the CF is seen without any troubles.
Boudewijn de Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #8
New Boot

Ah, ok. Didn't think to try switching the mode in the menu... Will give that a shot.

Thanks for the tip, Boudewijn,

Raul
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #9
Major Player

I find this very strange, because I haven been logging & transferring hunderds of clips via a firewire 800 reader to a Mac 8-core and it never failed. I even find this is the most reliable solution possible. Are you sure there's nothing with the firewire-socket on your Mac?

I must admit though that I had comparable problems with a PC. That's even the main reason I converted my entire equipment into Apple stuff.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Received my Sandisk Firewire 800 reader yesterday - so far no problems unlike the MRC-1 which just plain won't be seen.
Hedley Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #11
New Boot

Hi Luc, it seems like the thing to do is get a card reader, as opposed to using the Memory Recording Unit that came with the camera.

You say you've been using a firewire 800 reader without a problem, but have you tried logging and trasnfering using the Memory Recording Unit that came with the z7? Do you have a link for the card reader you use, by the way?

I'm sure my firewire connection is fine because I use it all the time for my external LaCie drives as well as for connecting my old Sony PD-170. I don't ever have a problem with the drives mounting through either firewire 800 or 400, nor do I ever have a problem seeing the PD-170 when I try to capture from there.

But for some reason, when I connect the Memory Recording Unit from my z7, it just will not mount on my desktop, and, thus, I will not be able to see it, unless I restart the computer. That is the only way I can get it to show up--which is a pain to have to do every time I want to log clips from a different card...

It seems others on here are having similar problems... I have yet to hear from someone who actually logs and transfers using the MRC-1 without a hitch.

It seems like the best thing to do is skip using the MRC-1 and get a card reader.

You would think, though, that the reader provided by Sony with the camera would do its job...Tsk Tsk...

Raul
Old June 21st, 2009, 12:54 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Raoul,

you're right, I only use the Lexar firewire 800 reader, like in this link:Lexar - Flash memory card readers - Pro CF Reader. The workflow with a reader that is always ready and mounted is much more straightforward. Anyway, I tried connecting the MRC1 in it's cradle, powered with a battery and I get the same problem: my Mac doesn't recognize it! Not a big problem, as I do have the Lexar reader, but you'd expect Sony to deliver something that works flawlessly, especially for the price they charge for it!..
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders