DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/)
-   -   mcr and Z1.Results?Which card do yousuggest? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/389817-mcr-z1-results-card-do-yousuggest.html)

Marcus Martell September 12th, 2009 09:36 AM

mcr and Z1.Results?Which card do yousuggest?

Hola guys,
which card do you suggest me to buy with this recorder that should be used with a z1?
Thanks a lot
How does this recorder work with the z1?
thx

Brett Griffin October 4th, 2009 04:42 AM

Works great with Z1

I have the HVR-MRC1K attached to my Z1 and it works great. I have 16gb Sandisk Extreme 3 cards (30MB/S) and they are more than sufficient. 16GB also hold 73mins of HDV footage so it each one lasts longer than the 63 min tapes anyway. Couldn't recommend the CF Recorder enough.

Marcus Martell October 27th, 2009 05:52 AM

Which 32GB card u suggest to use with it?

Philip Howells November 5th, 2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Griffin (Post 1427524)
I have the HVR-MRC1K attached to my Z1 and it works great. I have 16gb Sandisk Extreme 3 cards (30MB/S) and they are more than sufficient. 16GB also hold 73mins of HDV footage so it each one lasts longer than the 63 min tapes anyway. Couldn't recommend the CF Recorder enough.

How do you secure the firewire lead in the socket on the Z1? Having it accidentally pulled out is my biggest concern.

David Dwyer November 10th, 2009 09:29 AM

Well I never knew about this product - Looks great and works with the Z1!!!

Can anyone in Pal land confirm? If I buy the MRC1K from the USA will it work with Z1E?

Philip Howells November 10th, 2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Griffin (Post 1427524)

Have you tried recording HDV to your Extreme III cards? Sony says 30Mb/s is the minimum and I envisaged having to buy 45 mb/s cards - the least expensive I can find here is a Lexus at UKL100 plus tax. for a 16Gb. San Disk Extreme III's would be a much kless expensive way.

David Dwyer November 10th, 2009 09:56 AM

Have any of you Z1 users got some pictures of the MCR and Z1 together?

Did you purchase the Sony VCT-1BP or use something else?

Michael Liebergot November 11th, 2009 04:36 PM

I can't speak on the Z1, but I do have the FX1 which is setup in the same manner as a Z1 would.

I have a handle bracket attached to the camera handle and I attach the MRC1K to a Noga Arm which is attached to the handle bracket. I also attach my camera light on the handle bracket, as I hate having the light on the front of the camera, as it throws off the cameras balance.

If I didn't have a light attached to the handle bracket, then I would simply attach the MRC1K to the handle bracket and forget about the Noga Arm.

David Dwyer November 11th, 2009 04:41 PM

Cheers Michael, with the MCR attached can you use the record buttons on the camera and only record to the MCR?

Reading a comment before seems to think you have to use the record button on the MCR if you only want to record to solid state.

Michael Liebergot November 11th, 2009 04:49 PM

Set the MRC1 to Follow in the menu and it will operate by the camera. So you can use the cameras record button to film, both to tape and CF card via MRC1K.

Also if you juts want to record to the MRC1K (no tape), then simply use the controls on the MRC1K to record and film with your camera as normal.

A word of caution about CF cards.
Do not format the cards in your computer at all, but only in the MRC1K.
It might even be best to simply not format the card at all but simply unpack the card and use it right away.
There have been issues with CF cards and formatting. The best results seem to be no formatting and use the card right away in the MRC1K. Simply delete the file on the recorder when you're done with them.

Brett Griffin November 12th, 2009 03:47 AM

Sorry I haven't responded earlier. I have been away with work (boo). I secure the firewire lead with the supplied velcro strap. I loop it through the neck strap hole conveniently located right near by the firewire port. As far a a MRC1K purchased in the US working in PAL land then yes, I purchased mine from B&H photo.

As far as the cards themselves, Sony recommend a x133 speed card or better. I have found the Sandisk Extreme III perfect without a single dropout.

During times when I don't need the camera light, I mount the unit on the front cold shoe. When I need a camera light, I mount it on a J-Rod. I'll have to take a photo and post it.

With the set up, well that has been answered with others posts (Follow mode and Synchro)

Hope this has answered some questions posted.

Marcus Martell November 30th, 2009 06:05 AM

Hola,
i m planning to buy this recorder for the z1;if i don't mount any light, do u think i would need any new slide or something like that?

thx

Michael Liebergot November 30th, 2009 08:05 AM

Marcus, I use the MRC1K on my FX1s, which is virtually the same setup.

I have a Delvcam (Delvcam | DELVG10801 Handle Bracket for Sony HDV | DELV-G1080-1) handle bracket mounted on the cameras handle.

Then I mount my Comer 1800 LED light on the cameras handle, as I like to keep the camera bracket better.

But I also mount the MRC1K on the handle bracket as well using am Israeli Arm. I have the Zylight verison but there are others available.
Zylight | 8" Articulating Arm | 19-02001 | B&H Photo Video

I screw the Israeli Arm into the threading of the handle bracket and screw the MRC1K onto the arm. I then adjust the arm out to the left side a bit and make sure that the MRC1K is vertical and facing me, as needed and it works great.

My camera stays balanced perfectly.
I don't like to mount accessories on the cameras shoe, over the front of the camera, because it throws off the cameras balance making a little too front heavy for me. A wireless receiver is alright, but anything heavier isn't good for me.

I don't even use my camera shoe, as I modified the Delvcam handle bracket by removing the cable management and mounted a cold shoe to it instead. I now use this to mount my wireless on. So everything is balanced over the center of the camera, with only a shotgun mic out in front of the camera.

Philip Howells January 10th, 2010 07:48 PM

Since the Sony VCT-BPs were unavailable in the UK I had a friend construct some L shaped brackets, make some long camera screws and fasten the lot to the cameras with the camera plate.

The MRC1 stuck on the front of the camera made it very front heavy, even with 570 batteries.

Marcus Martell January 22nd, 2010 04:17 PM

Michael any issues on the use of the fx1?

thx