Firewire vs. USB 2.0 card reader - or neither? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old November 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Firewire vs. USB 2.0 card reader - or neither?

Could anyone shed some light on whether a separate CF card reader is needed in addition to the MRC1 unit? I've just purchased mine, and my edit computer does not have an internal media card reader (just USB and firewire ports). Do you connect the MRC1 directly to the computer for download, or put the card in a standalone/internal drive? Thanks!

Sam
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Either will work. The MRC has a firewire port in the cradle but no USB. But I just stick the card into the reader I have on my PC and it works fine.

You need to make sure the Sony software for the MRC is installed on the PC.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Trustee

I always use a card reader rather than FW connection. Usually I don't have large files to copy, so I just use Explorer rather than the Sony utility. I did try the utility but couldn't really see any difference over a straight file copy.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Use the Sony Utility

Richard

The difference between the Sony Utility and Windows explorer is when the file length is more than 20 mins. If its more than 20 mins, the Sony Utility stitches them together so they appear as 1 in your NLE.

In explorer, you have to manually place them together and sometimes (rarely) you may miss a frame or two.

Brett

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders