DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/)
-   -   CF card workflow (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/470773-cf-card-workflow.html)

Philip Howells January 10th, 2010 07:13 PM

CF card workflow

We recorded our first three camera MCR1 wedding between Christmas and New Year, with cameras (Z1s) running in synchro so we had a security tape backup.

I elected to set the camera no 1,2,3 on the MCR1s to help identify the files for multi-camming purposes.

When I imported the files using the Sony software I also chose the option of identifying the camera but I'm not sure whether that conflicted or jeopardised or replaced the camera selection on the MCR1s.

Because I use Avid Liquid, I'm used to not using the timecode to sync the outputs (because the software ignores the recorded timecode (although I still go through the routine of zeroing all three cameras and setting them on free run throughout the day)

The results are confusing and may have to be identified by reference to the material. I am however, very enthusiastic about the results and can see us dropping the security blanket of tapes, but I'd be interested in learning how others here using such files in multicam set-ups organise their workflow, particularly in respect of these camera identing devices.

Adam Gold January 10th, 2010 07:30 PM

Philip, I do exactly the same thing with my four Z5s and MRC1ks. I have each MRC set to a different cam number, and upon transfer to the PC the files are identified with this as a file name prefix, so it's easy to keep track of them.

Don't know about Avid, but Premiere CS3 ignores the TC of the original file (although it sees it fine when capturing from tape) so I'm not going to waste time syncing the TC of all four cams anymore. I can't get anyone from Adobe to tell me why this is or if it's fixed in CS4.

Philip Howells January 10th, 2010 07:42 PM

Adam - thanks - do you also use the clip numbering option in the software or do you leave it on zero?

Adam Gold January 10th, 2010 07:47 PM

No, I leave it on zero. Didn't even know it was there until you mentioned it, so I checked.

Philip Howells January 16th, 2010 01:46 AM

The only problem I've encountered with the MRCs is the fact that they number each clip on each card from 0001. This means I can end up with five clips with the same number from the same camera. Of course the date/time is different - a good reason for syncing the cameras before the shoot (to zero and leaving them on free run) - but as far as I can see, Avid doesn't include that in the sort criteria.

My dealer, a Sony main agent feels that I can't be the only user who'd like the opportunity to have sequential clip numbering regardless of the card - maybe Sony will do a software upgrade!

Adam Gold May 4th, 2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1470565)
Premiere CS3 ignores the TC of the original file (although it sees it fine when capturing from tape) so I'm not going to waste time syncing the TC of all four cams anymore. I can't get anyone from Adobe to tell me why this is or if it's fixed in CS4.

Update -- this will be fixed in the first dot update for CS5. More details in the thread in the Adobe Forum.