DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/)
-   -   HVR-MRC1 and Final Cut Pro 6 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/476474-hvr-mrc1-final-cut-pro-6-a.html)

John Reilly April 8th, 2010 03:58 PM

HVR-MRC1 and Final Cut Pro 6

Hi,

Wondering if anybody can confirm the current "readability" of imported files from the MRC1's CF card into the Final Cut 6 NLE.

In viewing Doug Jensen's Vortex Media tutorial chapter (video 1-2yr. old now?) on this subject, he presents that the MRC1, exporting files to Final Cut 6 which he (and I) use, via the supplied MRC1 cradle, firewire equipped, then allows easy entry into a new bin in Final Cut, followed by the Log and Transfer, (Not Log and Capture) function.

But I seem to recall Sony telling me a couple months ago, when I was considering the MRC! for my Z5, that I'm dealing with FAT 32 and would need something like Clip Wrap to "re-wrap" the files for compatibility with FCP, when dealing with HDV 1080i files.

So what's the "current" story?

Thanks, Everyone!

John Reilly

John Reilly April 13th, 2010 08:49 AM

MRCIK Solution

OK- Sony Professional Tech Support took my call immediately and confirmed that the MRC1K no longer has the issue with Snow Leopard....Log and Transfer is routine now.

Kevin O'Connor July 4th, 2010 08:14 AM

Interesting, what camera model and file format are you recording on the MRC1K? I use it on my FX1000, which produces a .mt2 file format.

My issue is that I shoot movies along with another camera operator who produces a ACVHD file. We both supply our data to the editor who uses the latest version of Final Cut Pro. The editor only seems to have issues working with my files, which he can open but are smaller frame size. All of us are fairly new to Indie film making scene so I'm not sure what the editor is seeing. I know the other camera operator, who uses a Panasonic that records a ACVHD file, has set his camera to the same settings as mine (1080-60i).

Could the MRC1K have any effect on this issue?

THanx, KO.

Les Wilson July 5th, 2010 03:31 PM

These are technical issues you need to manage as part of being a film maker.

It could be as simple as your editor needs to get the FCP plugin from Sony for the MRC1. Clipwrap is another approach but the plugin does a much better job of handling the little files created in cache mode (the 6 seconds before you hit record).

John Reilly July 9th, 2010 12:49 AM

MRCIK Solution

Kevin,

Sorry for delay in getting back to you...

When you say you "supply" the data to your editor, how are you doing that?

As I mentioned, the "log and transfer" function works nicely now.....I'm using my Sony HVR-Z5U
with the MRC1 attached. I shoot, say, 1080i HD, and then transfer clips by attaching the recorder
via firewire to my Mac Pro Desktop Tower....

Final Cut 6 picks it up almost immediately upon initiation of "log and transfer".

Are you giving the editor the recorder to make the transfer, as I do above?

John Reilly

Zach Love July 21st, 2010 01:15 PM

I would suggest getting a Lexar FW800 card reader. ($80 new or around $40 from Best Buy on eBay). Then give the CF card & reader to your editor, or transfer the ENTIRE contents of the card onto a hard drive & give that to your editor (FCP needs the folder structure & meta data).

(Your editor also needs the Sony Plug-In, google it if you don't have it).

If you have FCP too, then I would suggest converting the files yourself & then handing the .mov files to your editor on a hard drive.

I don't see how you could have a smaller frame size than AVC-HD. Only thing is if you're recording DV & not HDV. (There is a function in the Sony cameras to down convert HDV to DV through firewire). FCP can edit HDV natively & will have to convert AVC-HD to Pro-Res (or whatever), which will means that your file sizes are much smaller.

Darin Clifton September 29th, 2010 01:18 PM

Zach,

You're correct on the copy of the entire contents of the folder. FCP 6 will only read & log your clips if your folders are EXACTLY as they appear on the MRC1. Video>HVR>then your clips along with the index & dat files. You can name the parent folder - but what follows must be Video , HVR , then your clips. In log & transfer , click add folder , click on the "Video" folder and then "Open"......if you click on HVR you'll get a warning error.

I just did 8 days in Kansas - named my folders Day 1 & so on with my m2t clips in them along with the dat, & index files.

Warning error !!

I had to go inside each days folder , add all the files to a folder named "HVR", then add that folder inside a folder named " Video" . ....... flawless log & transfer. Your word "entirely" clued me in on what had happened.

Thanks !