DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/)
-   -   Last frame no good on every clip recorded. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/480065-last-frame-no-good-every-clip-recorded.html)

Ger Griffin June 7th, 2010 07:18 PM

Last frame no good on every clip recorded.

I had a unit and sold it and now got a new one.

This new unit has a problem with the last frame of every shot. Its scrambled in some way. It may have some of a frame from another shot mixed with the frame that is supposed to be there or else just green mixed in.
Not only does it cause a flicker but the sound jumps too.
And thats not all, theres at least 1 frame missing when the unit automatically splits the clips.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Could it be my transcends? I doubt it as it shows up on both of them.

Thanks.
G

Richard Hunter June 9th, 2010 02:27 AM

Hi Ger. I get this all the time. I just assumed it was normal behaviour. Something that forces me to actually watch what I am editing so I can trim it correctly ha ha.

Richard

Brian Drysdale June 9th, 2010 02:33 AM

Hmmm.... sounds rather like the digital version of the flash frame(s) that you get on film cameras every time you stop and start the camera.

Adam Gold June 9th, 2010 11:27 AM

Interesting. It shouldn't be doing this. Obviously a missing frame is only an issue if it's where the clips are split and then rejoined. Are you using the Sony Utility to rejoin and import the clips?

What Cam? Settings on both cam and MRC? There's a reason real Directors wait to hear "Speed" before they say "Action," and shooters wait to hear "Cut" before they stop the cams. I can't imagine a situation where a single frame at the head or tail of a shot could make any difference. But if you are cutting it that close, consider using the MRC in Cache mode, (but this would affect the first frame of each shot, not the last.)

If you are using the unit in conjunction with tape, there will always be a file break where the cam rebuilds the GOP and interrupts the FW output. No way around that. Again, though, this is about the first frame of each shot.

Ger Griffin June 15th, 2010 01:25 PM

Sorry Im just checking back in now.

Id agree guys that it shouldnt and doesnt present a problem in every case except when the file is broken by the unit. The rejoin should be seamless yet its not. the sound is gone for a frame along with a missing video frame.
I havent used the sony software for rejoining the clips. ill check into that right away.

Appreciate the input.

Adam Gold June 15th, 2010 04:14 PM

There's your problem. The Sony software is the only app that can seamlessly rejoin the clips. That's what it's designed for. It doesn't work any other way and they tell you this.

Ger Griffin June 16th, 2010 02:48 PM

no i dont want to rejoin them necessarily. just for them to play from one to the other on the timeline without that missing frame.
The footage from the last unit i had did this fine as im sure most/all units do.
I'll use the software and if it works to join them without the problem then good but its an extra step i could do without too.
ill report back when ive checked.

Adam Gold June 16th, 2010 03:18 PM

You know your needs and workflow best, but I can't see where the frame would matter if you're not joining them.

And it's not an extra step to use the Sony utility; it's actually fewer mouse clicks to rejoin and import in all one step.

Both the Sony documentation and many users on this forum have reported the glitch if you just do a straight import of the files and dump them on the timeline without using the Sony utility.

Ger Griffin June 17th, 2010 05:33 AM

ok thanks Adam , Ill let you know.

Kevin O'Connor July 4th, 2010 07:46 AM

So, that's the reason for the messed up first clip each time. I have not used the Sony utility to correct this but I use my HVR-MRC1K on my FX1000 when shooting Indie movies. Each brake in recording is a specific cut and take that is slated in the beginning.

I don't want to string all my clips together but by the nature of how I'm using my camera the first and last few seconds are always trimmed off by the editor.

Does the HVR-MRC1K have the same issue when used on Sony cameras that it's designed for like the FX1, Z1, or Z7?

Thanx, KO

Ger Griffin March 26th, 2012 05:07 PM

Re: Last frame no good on every clip recorded.

Firmware version 2 fixed problem

Mark Bonnlander April 19th, 2012 07:57 PM

Hi Ger,

Do you know where I can find a link to the version 2 firmware? The only spot I could find it was on the Sony.eu site and I the registration process failed.

Thanks, Mark

Adam Gold April 19th, 2012 11:16 PM

I still have a copy. Email me and I can send it to you.

Make sure you DL the instructions (linked below) and follow them carefully or you could brick your MRC.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-har...ml#post1712999

Andrew James October 21st, 2012 08:16 PM

At some point, in recording, it is normally experienced, it's like the last frame syndrome on recorded items. that's why when you record, always remember to place a short allotted time on the beginning and the end of the clip so that you can assure yourself that your main record subject will not be affected by this problem.