Sharing CF cards between mrc1k and dslr? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old July 20th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #1
New Boot

Sharing CF cards between mrc1k and dslr?

I know this may seem like a bad idea, but I'm considering getting a dslr soon and would love (at least initially) to not have to re-invest in expensive CF cards for it as well... How well does it work to re-format cards and use them back and forth between devices? (e.g. hvr-mrc1k and a Canon 5D MKII dslr, re-formatting each time I change devices with it)

Will this "break" the CF card for mrc1k use? I know formatting a CF card with windows/mac will "break" it sometimes, making the mrc1k unable to use it, yes?

Has anyone done this before successfully (or unsuccessfully)?

Cheers!

-joe
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Major Player

I think if you get a card that breaks when you format, you either have a cheap device or cheap card. Professional gear shouldn't cause this type of a problem.

I think if you spent 24-7 formatting cards you'll end up having trouble, but normal use with quality equipment should work fine.

I have a Canon 7D & Sony Z7, I've moved cards back & forth & have yet to have a problem. I'm pretty sure (please correct me) that they both use FAT 32, so you don't really have to re-format between uses. If you're really worried, "delete all" instead of "format."
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:01 PM   #3
New Boot

Zach, that's great news... Thanks! Does anyone else have similar experience with sharing cards? I'd love to have a few voices on this... Cheers,

-j
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Major Player

I would suggest NOT to transfer files from one unit to another w/o backing up the files. I don't think they would write over files, but I personally wouldn't take the chance unless I absolutely had to.
Old August 1st, 2010, 01:34 AM   #5
Trustee

Zach, to answer your specific question I had a Sandisk Firewire 2 reader which completely blue screened 12 CF cards. They simply would not format in my MRC1s.

In some desperation I tried formatting them in my Sony Alpha 1.

That worked OK and enabled me to re-format them in the MRC1s. Since then no problems - but no Sandisk Firewire 2 reader either!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders