DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/)
-   -   Sony HVR-MRC1 Memory Recording Unit? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/521408-sony-hvr-mrc1-memory-recording-unit.html)

Denny Gulvas February 3rd, 2014 07:07 AM

Sony HVR-MRC1 Memory Recording Unit?

I have a HVR-Z5U and was looking at getting the MRC1 recording unit but it looks as though that product is not available anymore. Can someone please inform me on this and can it still be purchased? Thank you...

David Barnett February 3rd, 2014 08:52 AM

Re: Sony HVR-MRC1 Memory Recording Unit?

OMG. Just checked B&H & yeah it says discontinued. Wow, why would they do something like that?! I just bought one in the summertime & I highly recommend it as its a simple & effecient solution to going all digital as opposed to getting a new camera while attempting to sell a tape based camera.

I found one via Google shopping, you might wanna check it out if its in stock. EVS Online: Sony HVR-MRC1K Memory Recording Unit

Adam Gold February 3rd, 2014 03:10 PM

I guess sales really slowed down as people moved away from tape cams and made this unit less necessary. They can still be purchased from a lot of other places, as David points out and as a simple Google search will reveal, although prices have shot up.

When I bought my Z5's I bought several extra MRC's just for this occurrence, in case any die. So far none have but it's good to have spares.

David Barnett February 3rd, 2014 04:08 PM

But they're still making the Z5U. Wouldn't it make sense to at least sell these until they discontinue the Z5 & Z7 etc!?

Adam Gold February 3rd, 2014 06:06 PM

It's possible B&H have just depleted their stock of the MRC but not the Z5 and aren't planning on re-ordering either item. Sony is still selling both but maybe B&H doesn't see a future for either item.

Sad, really, but the world moves on.

Denny Gulvas February 3rd, 2014 06:43 PM

Checked many places and almost all say out of stock. Can`t believe that they would pull the rug out like this on a good camera. Anyone finding one at a decent price please let me know here. Thank you.

Adam Gold February 3rd, 2014 07:54 PM

David provided an exact link above and just to test I added it to my cart and it worked, so obviously they are not out of stock. If that isn't right for you then obviously you'll just need to keep shopping. New deals will likely appear daily on both the new and used market. One is available on eBay for about the same price.

Tracy Timberlake March 10th, 2014 04:46 PM

I have an HVR-MRC1 I'd sell for a reasonable price if someone is looking for one. Send me your email address if you'd like pictures.

Adam Gold March 10th, 2014 11:49 PM

B&H has a used one at a very good price as well:

Used sony hvr-mrc1 | B&H Photo Video

Also noticed at least six on eBay this week under $1,000, but beware, not all have all the accessories. Not really an issue if you just want to snap onto a Z5 or Z7 or similar, but more so if you need the brackets and cables for another cam... you'll have to find aftermarket substitutes. Also the file ingest software, manual, firmware upgrades, AC power supply, etc.

Jim Arco March 11th, 2014 06:54 AM

I have one that has maybe a total of 4 hours of use, in the original box, with a 16gb card I can sell. If you are interested, send me your email.

Jim
Colorburst Video

Tanner Johnson April 4th, 2014 09:55 AM

Hey Jim, I'm in the market for a reader and would love to take it off your hands if you still have it available.