Timecode and the DR60. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old September 30th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Trustee

Timecode and the DR60.

Does the DR60 keep any form of timecode or metadata on the captured files? I assumed so since the tapes can be used as backup.

Also if I were to buy two or more V1's each with a DR60 unit is there a way to link timecode between all of them for a multicam shoot?

I have really wanted to get a hard drive unit for HDV shooting but I haven't been very impressed with the Firestore and other devices like that. I really like what I see with the SONY DR60 so far.

One final question about the DR60.

If I am shooting a 3 hour event I know the DR60 can keep recording for the full 3 hours but clearly the tapes have to be changed every 60 minutes. Can I change tapes while the DR60 is still recording and have the tape pick up recording as soon as it is ready?
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #2
New Boot

Time Code in Files from DR-60?

I just bought the HVR-DR60to work with my V1E and Avid Liquid

My question is about the same as below ( asked by Piotr)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=102082

I use the Sony Utility to copy the m2t files on my PC ( faster than copy the m2t from each folder on the DR60) Thank you to this forum, the user manual does not talk about it...
Then I import m2t in Avid Liquid. I noticed than the soft was extracting audio and video, and copying audio ( .wav) and video ( .m2v files ) in its own media folder ( it's rather long et takes room)
PPro takes directly m2t files. It's faster.
But in Avid Liquid as in PPro , this imported files do not have right Time Code ( either nothing, either false TC, completely different from TC on the tape ( registered with the DR-60, "follow" option.)*
When I read DR-60 files on my V1, the Time Code is exactly the same as on the tape. Why not after import???

I'm worry about that, because I wanted to use the DR-60 files for editing , then delete them, and keep only the tape as backup.
NLE softs as Liquid are able to do a batch capture from the tape, using TC of edited clips in the saved projects. But if TC is not the same....

* Edit..."Synchro mode", not "follow"

Last edited by Odile Patra; December 31st, 2007 at 12:15 PM.
Odile Patra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #3
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odile Patra View Post
I just bought the HVR-DR60to work with my V1E and Avid Liquid

But in Avid Liquid as in PPro , this imported files do not have right Time Code ( either nothing, either false TC, completely different from TC on the tape ( registered with the DR-60, "follow" option.)*
When I read DR-60 files on my V1, the Time Code is exactly the same as on the tape. Why not after import???
I don't have liquid but I'd suggest it is the same reason most NLE's don't get correct timecode is because during the import process they are not extracting the metadata necessary to preserve TC. One problem with MPEG2 Long GOP is there doesn't seem to be a consistent standard for storing timecode - Sony do it one way, JVC might do it slightly differently.

I thought Liquid could work natively with M2T files - no need to transcode them on the way in? If you do that i t may preserve the timecode.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders