HVR-DR60 to Final Cut Pro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HVR-DR60 to Final Cut Pro?

What would be the best workflow that would enable the use of the Sony DR60 hard disc recorder with Final Cut Pro. I will be filming in HDV with either a Sony FX1 or a Canon XH-A1.
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #2
New Boot

HVRDR60_dv raw or .mov?

I've been looking forward to purchase Sony's Dr60 but today, when I was going to purchase it, I couldn't find any information about the compatibility between Final Cut Pro/Mac and Sony HD in DV Standard Definition.

In Sony's release they talk about ".avi" (native PC) and "dv raw" for SD. FCP uses ".mov". Does anyone know how this workflow (DV footage - DR60 - Mac FCP) should work?

Everyone I talked to told me I should convert the avi into movies, but what is the worth to buy such an expensive equipment in order to do not waste time with te capturing process and do waste time encoding videos???

If anyone has purchased this item, please help with this question. I've till tomorrow to buy it and now I'm thinking it will be a waste of money...

And if anyone know any other portable Hard Disk that works with Dv footage on Mac FCP, please let me know.

I'll aprecciate your help.
Juliana Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Still Motion

Firestore fs4 works well with mac. The HD pro version also encodes HDV to quicktime so you can edit HD footage right away too.

The sony version will need to hve the files converted if working in HD as FCP will not take m2t files easily. If you record with the sony unit to raw DV that will go striaght into FCP. The firestore costs less and does DV and HDv so it may be a better bet, although the design of the sony seems to be much better.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Still Motion

Sind the DR60 records to m2t you need to convert before being able to use them in FCP easily. MPEG streamclip is fairly fast and free and it will convert the clip.

I just returned the Firestore Fs4HD as it only did m2t and it was a pain. Got the pro version and it records to quicktime which goes into FCP right away.
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:33 AM   #5
New Boot

[If you record with the sony unit to raw DV that will go striaght into FCP.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually considering the FS4 now but I just don't get it... the Sony "raw DV" is understood by FCP as a QT movie file? (so it will go straight into FCP)
Which format is "raw dv"? Is it dv with no compression or is it ".dv"?
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #6
Still Motion

It should record 'raw dv' to .dv as you said, and fFCP will handle that fine.

IF you later work in HDV, then the FS4 HD Pro will record HDV to quicktime which can go straight into FCP.
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks for the information, Patrick.

I thought m2t was what HDV Cameras would deliver to tape, so the native HDV format in FCP.
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #8
Still Motion

While it may record to M2t to tape (I'm not sure) it imports as quicktime when I import from my Canon XHA1 and of course, that plays right away in FCP. I had the Firestore HD and when I tried to use m2t files, they needed to be converted first.
Old October 20th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Any Luck yet?

Anyone have any luck using the HVR-DR60 with Final Cut Pro yet?

I would love to get one of these to use with my FX1 if it will record files that I can use in FCP.

THANKS!
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Just got off the phone with Sony....

...and they said that the plug-in for for Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 would be available soon.

So, even though the Apple website says that Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 works with the HRV-DR60, it currently does not until Sony releases the plug-in.
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #11
Wrangler

You can play the clips in video mode and via firewire from the HDD, FCP will recognize the stream and convert to prores 422 - 23.98.

Not as good as Log and Transfer but not bad.

Frederic
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Did you do this as a log and capture? I tried this with mine last night and it never detected a device. Basic firewire easy setup, maybe?
Edwin Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Wilson View Post
Did you do this as a log and capture? I tried this with mine last night and it never detected a device. Basic firewire easy setup, maybe?
Yes Edwin,

Choose easy setup first (HDV - Prores 422, 23.98)

Then, change the device control to HDV Firewire

Then Log and capture - it'll ask you for a clip name and will control the HDD.

F
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hmm... Have you changed any settings on the DR60 itself? While playing with it last night, the log and capture window came up fine with "VTR OK"; but when I attempted to play or capture, I got the beachball until I either force quit FCS or turned the DR60 off.
Edwin Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #15
Wrangler

You shouldn't get the "VTR OK" when you select the HDV>Prores preset. It'll only ask you for a clip name. No controls.
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders