Problems with HVR-dr60 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old January 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #16
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Cook View Post
So I've been using my HVR-DR60 for quite some time now in the field. I have it paired with the V1U and have loved it (mostly).
Here are my gripes, some of which I imagine could/SHOULD be fixed with a firmware update (Hello SONY..please read this!)

1) The most glaring problem - For some reason, the wonderfully useful FOCUS ASSIST/ZOOM EXTENDER are DISABLED when the HVR_DR60 is on. Why, why, why!!!?!?!?

2) As most already can attest, the "Computer/Power Off/Video" 3 way switch is a major design flaw. Did sony's engineers even try to use this thing for a few minutes before sending it out?

3) The 6pin to 4 pin firewire/iLink cable that comes with the drive is very flimsy and using an alternate cable doesn't seem to work (why? Is there a voltage issue?)

4) there isn't one. I love this thing beside those 3 problems. Well, yea, Price is high. But it's a Sony! That's to be expected.
To add to number 1: the Smooth Slowmo is also disabled when the HDD is attached, which I only found out recently - but I guess that should have been expected.

And number 3: the issue becomes worse when you use older cameras, as the firewire connections have been loosened, and so are more prone to not gripping the cables properly.

Overall, I love this HDD though!
Stefan van Jaarsveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #17
Tourist

I have found that replacing the lousy Firewire cable has done the Fix as far as recording stopping when it wants to.
Woo Hoo
Pascale Paris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders