Can V1U record 24P to the HVR-DR60? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old April 29th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #1
New Boot

Hvr-dr60 & 24p

Hey guys, just a quick question. Can you record 24p to the HVR-DR60 with a Sony V1U or can you only do interlace when recording in HDV mode. Don't know if it's been answered before, tried looking all over the internet for the answer. Thanks in advance.
Wendell Alvero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #2
New Boot

Can V1U record 24P to the HVR-DR60?

Hey guys, just a quick question. Can you record 24p to the HVR-DR60 with a Sony V1U or can you only do interlace (60i) when recording in HDV mode. Don't know if it's been answered before, tried looking all over the internet for the answer. Thanks in advance.
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #3

I'm guessing you didn't look all that far. These forums are pretty filled with discussions on how the V1 functions. ;-)

The 24p of the V1 is *always* packed in a 60i stream. this makes it compatible with NLE's and makes delivery much easier.
There are 'markers' or 'flags' inside the 60i stream identifying frames that are to be removed at the NLE level. When the NLE sees those flags, it "removes pulldown" from the stream, extracting the 24p information from within the 60i stream.
The DR60 records information identical to what is found on the HDV tape; 24p inside a 60i package. The DR60 functions identically to the tape mechanism, excepting that it records to non linear HDD vs linear tape.
Make sense?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #4
New Boot

Got it! Thanks so much DSE, now I get the whole thing. (I was originally thinking that the workflow would have been akin to a Canon 24F system, where it does it's progressive totally diffn't from Sony). Thanks for the clear up!
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #5
New Boot

Never mind guys, I got the answer already! thanks to DSE!
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

What's the answer???

I am curious to know.
Jerry Wiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Wiese View Post
I am curious to know.
Whether it's storing to tape or to a M2t file on the DR60, 24P footage is always stored as a 60i stream padded with a 3:2 pulldown (i.e. 3 progressive frames with two interlaced padding frames) which needs to be processed or used in an appropriate NLE such as Vegas 7.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders