DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   HVR-A1U Very Low Audio Gain (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/101497-hvr-a1u-very-low-audio-gain.html)

Victor Wilcox August 16th, 2007 07:51 PM

HVR-A1U Very Low Audio Gain

Just started editing clips I shot on Monday. I had to boost the audio by 25 to 30 db. The XLR gain was on manual at about 80% of full. This normally gives me hot sound in the park where I was shooting.

I check the XLR and onboard mic. They don't go above -20db in a noisy room with the levels set to 100% (mic & XLR).

I tried resetting the camera, but that made no difference.

Any suggestions before I send it in for service (At least it's still under warranty)?

Victor Wilcox September 14th, 2007 05:56 AM

When will Sony fix my A1U?

It's been nearly a month now, since I shipped my A1U to Sony for repair.

Yesterday was the first time it was checked and the tech said the didn't see anything wrong. He checked it with head phones. After I discribed the problem, the tech said he would take another look.

You'd think they would have better test equipment.

This is really depressing. :-(

Chris Li September 14th, 2007 06:39 AM

Was there any kind of attenuation used unknowingly while recording to reduce audio gain? It's to be used when incoming signal is too high and it knocks it down to an acceptable range.

Victor Wilcox September 14th, 2007 04:00 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I've been shooting with XLR on manual gain with both channels linked and CH Select set to CH1+CH2. The input level was set to mic (not mic att). I also had the Low Cut for input 1 on. I've been using the original shotgun mic.

I didn't check levels on my last shoot, since I didn't plan to use the recorded sound. After capturing the clips, I had to increase gain by 20db to get what I would call normal audio (It was very noisy).

I checked the record meter in my home with a loud TV. With the audio gain set to max (all the way right), the meter would barely reach -20db. I reset the camera and tried again. I got the same results with the XLR and the on board mic.

Chris Li September 17th, 2007 02:02 PM

How is audio level when set on auto gain?

Victor Wilcox September 17th, 2007 04:57 PM

I didn't try auto gain, but the Sony tech said he thought the audio was normal. He had only check it in auto gain. I haven't heard anyting new since I indicated I was having problems while using manual gain settings.

Victor Wilcox September 25th, 2007 02:15 PM

It's Back!

My A1U is finally back after a month. The engineer said there was nothing wrong.

??????

Well anyway it appears to be working now. They even replaced my lens hood which had broken bayonet clips (A $75 part).

It’s another chapter in the journal of irreproducible results.