A1U allscan & fullscann modes??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old September 5th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A1U allscan & fullscann modes???

Can anyone tell me what these do? The manual has to be the worst written instructions I have ever read...probably translated from japanese to english by the japanese since it's printed Japan. Anyway, having tried both features on and off, the only thing I notice is that allscan, when on, makes the LCD screen look like 4:3. Fullscan seems to do jack squat.
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

I don't know what Fullscan is. But Allscan is the equivalent of underscan on a professional monitor. It shows the entire image that the camera is recording. The normal mode for the viewfinder and LCD panel is overscan, meaning the outer edges of the image are cut off.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

So you're saying that allscan shows what the camera is actually recording onto the tape?
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Wrangler

Yes. It's a nice feature which very few of the affordable HD cameras have, certainly nothing else in this price range. Unfortunately you lose some "real estate" on the LCD when you use it because there's a black border around the image area.

So I think most people just pop in and out of ALLSCAN to check composition and make sure that there isn't something unwanted in the frame, like a microphone. Or at any rate, that's how I use it on my Z1.

Why not just try it and you can see for yourself. Put the camera on a tripod and move some object so it just barely goes off the screen with the camera in regular mode. Then switch on ALLSCAN and you'll notice that the object is actually still in the picture.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #5
Major Player

FULLSCAN disables the electronic stabilization and gives you all the pixels that would normally be used by the eis. It can be seen clearly when in telephoto and switching it on and off.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'll try that Mikko....thanks for the info guys
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lopponen View Post
FULLSCAN disables the electronic stabilization and gives you all the pixels that would normally be used by the eis. It can be seen clearly when in telephoto and switching it on and off.
Yep, and unless you are running the camera handheld I highly recommend using that feature as much as possible. If you have a really steady hand, then give it a try too.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series