Which wide-angle adapter for small Sony camcorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old November 16th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #16
Inner Circle

and I've seen good results from the multi-coated Kenko shown on this page. 52 mm fitting, so will need an adapter:
http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/p...ycat=3_803_802
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #17
Trustee

Jack, the 5050 works without the adapter (answering from the Canon post). I use it that way all the time. But, when I shoot non-wide, I do remove it. It does very slightly soften the video (which is expected).
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #18
Trustee

edit ... code filter is preventing my changing my post

Edit - I have footage here http://versatilemediasolutions.com/F...opeeSample.wmv
98MB WMV
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #19
Major Player

Hi George,

Thanks loads for the reply. Unfortunately, I need the wide-angle adapter by next week and the Raynox 5050 isn't in stock at the moment so I've had to go for the Hama 0.5x. If it turns out to be rubbish then I'll put it on eBay and get myself a 5050.

Thanks,
Jack
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #20
Major Player

My Hama 0.5x arrived today. Here are a few quick test images shot indoors with my HC7e in HDV mode, de-interlaced, and compressed as JPEGs in PhotoShop using the 80% quality setting:

http://xlk.org.uk/ext_images/bookshelf02.jpg
http://xlk.org.uk/ext_images/map.jpg
http://xlk.org.uk/ext_images/bookshelf01.jpg

(I share the shelf space with my girlfriend!)

Sure, I know these aren't ideal images for testing a lens but I've got to be quick.

The images aren't as horrible as I'd feared given that the lens was only £35. Sure, there's lots of barrel distortion. The edges are a soft and suffer from chromatic aberration. But, on my SD video monitor, the images don't look too bad.
Old November 17th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Yeah - not too bad and especially so at that price Jack. Might be worth hunting down the RedEye 0.5x, as they have a new version out. The original one barrel distorted, but the makers claim the new one is much better. I suspect the aspheric surface is now more aspheric, if you see what I mean.

BTW - is you Hama lens coated or multi-coated? I was always under the impression such cheap lenses had uncoated glass surfaces.

tom.
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
BTW - is you Hama lens coated or multi-coated? I was always under the impression such cheap lenses had uncoated glass surfaces.
The box says "HTMC coated lens system".

Incidentally, this Hama adapter is very light - the entire adapter (i.e. lens element + housing) is only 54g. I'm pretty sure the lens element is made of glass... just not very much glass!

Tom - do you think the RedEye 0.5x would out-perform the Raynox HD5050 0.5x?

Hmmmm... if only there was a review site as rigorous as DPreview.com for video kit!

Thanks,
Jack
Old November 18th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Your Hama is a zoom-through, right? That means it has 2 or more probably three elements in its construction. Weighing so little it undoubetedly has plastic elements, but that's no worry - many people wear plastic lenses on their faces for all their lives.

Some of the Raynox wide-angles are plastic, as so too is the RedEye. The RedEye is not a zoom through, so the HD5050 might be 'better' in that respect (it's a full zoom through). Raynox do make some excellent lenses (I used to have the 6600PRO) but I haven't tested the new 0.5x Redeye. The last one they made was dissappointing.

tom.
Old November 19th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Your Hama is a zoom-through, right?
Yes, I believe so. It doesn't mention anything about being "zoom-through" or not on the box. But I can zoom in, focus and zoom out and it seems to hold focus (I've only done a very quick test though).

Thanks for all the help,
Jack
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series