DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Sony requires proprietary on camera Mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/108320-sony-requires-proprietary-camera-mic.html)

John Tran November 19th, 2007 03:16 PM

Sony requires proprietary on camera Mic

I just check the Samy's local store and the saleman point out that Sony requires their OWN on-mic for their HDR-HC7. User will not able to buy different brand such as RODE video mic because the hot shoe won't fit.
Is there anyway I can get around in able to get a better audio?
--JT

Andy Wilkinson November 19th, 2007 03:24 PM

Yes easily! I use Rode Videomic (and Stereo Videomic) on my Sony HC1 using the Hague adapter - see details on this webpage. I know they ship worldwide.

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Sony_HVR-A1_HDR-HC1.htm

John Tran November 19th, 2007 03:29 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Anybody know the adapter sell in the US?
--JT

Andy Wilkinson November 19th, 2007 04:13 PM

Another option for you to consider....For a while I used a standard (Hama in my case) 35mm SLR camera Flash Gun Bracket - they cost around $15 upwards and can be got more or less anywhere.

Basically, it screws into the bottom of the Camcorder and then gives you horizontal bar of about 6-8 inches and then an upright bar/handgrip of about 4 inches with a standard shoe fitting on top (for your Rode videomic of course!) The "Shoe Bracket" shown on the Hague link I sent you has a simpler version - not as good IMHO as you don't get the handgrip upright bit on that example.

The handgrip type works very well for handholding camcorder shots and this gives much better/stable video than single handed operation (and boy oh boy unstable handholding is really noticeable/irritating in HDV!)

However, I quickly progressed to predominantly tripod shooting so this was not an option long term for me (as I need that bottom camcorder fitting for attaching my tripod plate of course!)

Jeff DeMaagd November 19th, 2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Tran (Post 778170)
Thanks for the quick response. Anybody know the adapter sell in the US?
--JT

It's kind of a shameless plug, but I make a similar adapter, though the design and construction are quite different. I make and sell in the US and ship worldwide too.

http://shop.dm-accessories.com/produ...with-ais-mount

I hope Chris Hurd is still OK with me saying this, I haven't emailed him in a while.

Duane Burleson November 19th, 2007 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Available here in the US is the DM-Accessories AIS-FLAT - Universal shoe mount for Sony adapter available at: http://shop.dm-accessories.com/produ...with-ais-mount

I use this on my HDR-HC1. The shoe parts include the post that slides into the AIS shoe, a set of washers that you use as spacers and then the shoe screws down onto the washers until it it tight and aligns with the camera.

I had to add one item because I use a Rode NTG-2 and xlr to mini-phono adapter. As you can see in the picture that is attached, it sets way off center, and the shoe and mic would tend to turn with the weight of the microphone if I tipped the camera. I could not tighten the shoe enough.

My simple fix was to take a thin piece of sheet metal (actually cut from an old pcmcia modem). I cut it to the width of the groove in the bottom of the shoe area, tapered it to the width of the AIS shoe. I then slipped it into the AIS shoe, slide the adapter on top of the metal and tightened it. I then bent the sheet metal and slid it into the adapter shoe and mounted the microphone. This kept the shoe/microphone from turning more that 1/2 an inch or so. It works great. I leave the adapter shoe on all the time.

Duane

P.S. I see that while I was creating my post and photographs that Jeff, of DM Accessories, has already posted a link.

Karl Heiner November 19th, 2007 11:59 PM

my question is, is the shoe sturdy enough to take a, let's say lcd monitor? (incl. the adapter?)

Jeff DeMaagd November 20th, 2007 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Heiner (Post 778404)
my question is, is the shoe sturdy enough to take a, let's say lcd monitor? (incl. the adapter?)

I think so. It's sturdy enough that I can hold the camera by only holding the shoe mount adapter. Do you have a particular LCD in mind?

Karl Heiner November 20th, 2007 11:52 AM

well, i have actually have 2, on 5.6 from marshall, and a 5.6 from varizoom.
and yes, i would like to mount the varizoom (bat powered)
it's not such a big issues, since i run also the sony walkman (on tape for the coach, one for me) but i rather like to have my eyes up. watching the screen, camera, game, bleachers etc. at the same time. have the walkman next to me at the bench and i have to take my eyes of the action area.

John Tran November 20th, 2007 12:56 PM

Andy,
Will your single adapter create the same problem as Duane had?
Pls let me know....
--JT

Andy Wilkinson November 20th, 2007 01:20 PM

No, it tightens up really tight onto the shoe and then won't budge at all. Once it's on it's fine and things can clamp nice and tightly to the adapter's standard shoe at the top. They do a twin shoe version but I suspect that might put too much torsional stress on the camera's shoe to work and might exhibit a similar problem to what was described with the US variant (IMHO - I don't have that Hague fitting.)

I should point out when my particular Hage Adapter Shoe arrived it was in fact a little too tight to fit on the shoe as easily as I wanted.... but 5 minutes with a modeller's (i.e. fine) file and that was all sorted out. I rarely (actually never!) take it off now.

One other thing I'd mention while we're on this (a more general point) is that with the Rode Videomic my HC1 is still nicely balanced (it's a pretty light mic) but with the heavier Rode Stereo Videomic (which has an all metal body construction, not plastic like the VM) it can get a bit nose heavy after a while. Not sure how these would fair on the smaller HC7 but suspect it might be a similar story.

Andy

John Tran November 20th, 2007 01:48 PM

Andy, so how much total cost in US dollar for the single hot shoe with shipping and be able to ship to US?
Do you accept credit card?
--JT

Andy Wilkinson November 20th, 2007 05:03 PM

If you look at the weblink I gave to B Hague's website you can find e-mail contact info on there to ask them how much they would charge you. I know they accept credit cards as I've bought stuff that way from them before as well as in person from visiting them in Nottingham.

Good luck! Andy

John Tran November 22nd, 2007 10:28 AM

I do a search on the adapter but did not see any electrical involve in it so I guess it is a COLD SHOE, is it right? If so, does it still work on HC7?
--JT

Andy Wilkinson November 22nd, 2007 10:33 AM

Yes it's a cold shoe. Mic has it's own battery and would plug into your Mic (plug in power) 3.5mm socket that I assume the HC7 has.

Andy